AC Delco filter for 5.3L

Hey all, nice forum you have here. This is my first post and I doubt my last. Anyhow I just picked up a 2002 Tahoe LT a few weeks ago with the 5.3L flex engine and I'm about to do an oil change to switch over to Penzoil Ultra synthetic. I bought a filter today that was a PF61, as the booked called out at Pepboys but I'm starting to see that there are many filters called out for this motor and I don't know which is right? The manual says PF59, and two other auto places say PF46 so I'm not sure what to use. Any input would be great. I think the 59 had a check valve and was superceeded but the 61 which does not, but I don't understand why?

I called the dealer this morning and after looking up the last 8 of my VIN# he said the book called for a PF46. Just to be on the safe side I'm going to use this one. Thanks for all your responses everyone.

I think the e cores are designated PF46E, just like the 61E I picked up earlier. Seems that is all pepboys carries. I got a standard PF46 at Advanced Auto and it went on fine. Didn't know this beast took 6qts. though so I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow to get more oil. I did the rear diff too, but I added 3qts and it still seems shy...anyone know the fluid capacity on the rear diff? Mine is the one with the drain plug, Z vin.

I think the e cores are designated PF46E, just like the 61E I picked up earlier. Seems that is all pepboys carries. I got a standard PF46 at Advanced Auto and it went on fine. Didn't know this beast took 6qts. though so I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow to get more oil. I did the rear diff too, but I added 3qts and it still seems shy...anyone know the fluid capacity on the rear diff? Mine is the one with the drain plug, Z vin.

From what I've been able to find, 3 qts should have done it. I think there were only 2 options, an 8.6 ring gear and a 9.5 ring gear. The 9.5 shows to take 5.5 pints. But always go by what the diff measures. Most of these are designed to be filled within about 5/8" from the plug. Consult your Owners Manual to be sure

i hope your not driving it around till then.

6 qts is nothing. My camaro takes 8

Ryan

Three qts should have filled it up to come out the fill hole. Below is what AMSOIL shows is the Capacities for your vehicle. VIN Z

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........6 quarts [1]

Cooling System, Initial Fill..........16 quarts

AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Automatic Transmission, 4L60-E Initial Fill..........5 quarts

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

4 speed 4L60-E..........11.2 quarts

Differential, S4WD Front..........3.4 pints

Differential, 8.6 RingGear Rear..........4.9 pints

Differential, 9.5 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints

Differential, F4WD Front..........3.4 pints

Transfer Case, NVG 236, 246..........4 pints

Transfer Case, NVG 149..........4.9 pints

Transfer Case, NVG 261..........4 pints

Transfer Case, NVG 263..........4 pints [1] After refill check oil level.

Black02Silverado thank you very much for the qty levels. Also, I'm not driving it around low on oil. I changed it late last night and will use the wife's car to get some more. Think I'll just get 2 5qt jugs everytime so that I have extra to add if needed since the synthetic is so expensive at the qt. level. After filling the diff last night I did not see the fluid level coming out of the top, it was definitely lower than the fill hole. I'm wondering if I should try to measure the distance with an allen wrench as suggested? Anyhow thanks for all the replies, it's nice know I have a good forum to rely on for important information

Oh, a one more stupid question but how do I know what size ring gear I have? Is that called out in the vin code somehow?

Were you on an incline like your drive way? That could be why it is throwing you off. I did not think you would drive it around low, but you should not assume everyone has common sense.

Archived