Brake line replacement

You might want to look at this post.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154899-brake-line-size/?do=findComment&comment=1373752

I do have a sketch of the ABS somewhere. I can dig it up this weekend and scan it. I may also have the diagram on my other computer but it isn't handy right now. I think I found that one on this site. Off the top of my head, looking at the face of the ABS, looking towards the back of the truck, the top 3 lines are the output, the one on the top right goes to the rear, the left 2 go to the front wheels. The lower pair go to the master cylinder. The fronts are specific, the wheel sensor has to be the same as the line controlled by the ABS.

• 5 months later...

Bruce, nice to find your posting from last year on this issue. You gave information "off the top of" your head at that time. Are you (or anyone else) now in a position to confidently identify the lines in and out of the ABS module?

Here's an image, with the lines numbered for reference.

Much thanks to you or anyone else who can identify each line, as the information will assist me in how I approach the task of replacing just two of the lines.

post-125236-0-30442200-1399063993_thumb.jpg

There was a burnt 2005 Silverado that had all new stainless lines on it. They had to be OEM replacements, as these were so perfect, that I doubt somebody made them. Is GM replacing them with stainless?

I think I've found the answer I've been looking for at:

http://www.justanswer.com/gm/3gsh5-2001-gmc-serria-pickup-abs-module-line-goes.html

I'm still concerned just a bit because the verbiage accompanying the last image on that page contradicts (with respect to Left Front / Right Front) the diagram shown in that image.

It says "The upper left port goes to the left front wheel, the upper middle port goes to the r/f wheel".

What he's written is the reverse of what both diagrams indicate.

post-125236-0-40046100-1399143202_thumb.jpgpost-125236-0-02554200-1399143220_thumb.gif

post-125236-0-40046100-1399143202_thumb.jpg

post-125236-0-02554200-1399143220_thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2004 K1500 Silverado with only about 48,000 miles. Bought it new. After hearing about these brake line failures, I looked underneath and sure enough, the lines are severely corroded under the driver's door. No problems....yet, but I tow an 8,000 lb camper and a 5,000 lb boat regularly. I'm considering replacing the lines myself (am pretty well mechanically inclined and have the tools, however no hoist). The stainless pre-formed line set is available for about $329. Has anyone else attempted this? any problems I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

If your brake lines are that rusted you may want to check the frame cross members as they also start to rust at that point. The brakes on my 2002 went out but I never repaired them after I found how badly the frame rusted after 12 years.

I read GM has a discount to get the lines replaced, I think it is $500 vs normal $1100.

JHM, do you have a bulletin number or some kind of reference that I can take with me to the dealer? My dealership is the kind that wants to see it in writing..... LOL

JHM, do you have a bulletin number or some kind of reference that I can take with me to the dealer? My dealership is the kind that wants to see it in writing..... LOL

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/rusted--broken-brake-lines-in-gm-pickups-demonstrate-the-twilight-zones-of-auto-safety-203750980.html

you probably need to contact GM customer service to arrange it.

Well I just checked with GM Customer service. All I could get from them is there is no recall, they dont know what the $500 repair kit is, I got a reference number and they said bring it to a dealer for diagnosis, if you dont agree with diagnosis call us back. I said so it seems I will pay for the diagnosis and repair since there is no recall, she said I would say so since you are not in warranty. Like a rock.

I went to the local GM dealer last week and pretty much got the same story. The service manager said there had been no bulletins about this "problem" and he also admitted that they had replaced "a lot" of brake lines on both GMC and Chevy pickups. His estimate of costs ran between $1100 and $1200 for labor plus parts since they have to custom bend all the lines (GM does not sell preformed brakeline kits). He also said that he has not had any factory participation in cost sharing yet. The parts manager, who is a longtime friend, did tell me that he has heard that GM Parts may soon market pre-bent line kits since there is such a demand. No idea of cost or when. The lady from the Philippines (GM customer service) was absolutely no help at all. Might as well talk to my cat about the issue.

Edited by Rich2004SilveradoZ71
  • Like 1

I went to the local GM dealer last week and pretty much got the same story. The service manager said there had been no bulletins about this "problem" and he also admitted that they had replaced "a lot" of brake lines on both GMC and Chevy pickups. His estimate of costs ran between $1100 and $1200 for labor plus parts since they have to custom bend all the lines (GM does not sell preformed brakeline kits). He also said that he has not had any factory participation in cost sharing yet. The parts manager, who is a longtime friend, did tell me that he has heard that GM Parts may soon market pre-bent line kits since there is such a demand. No idea of cost or when. The lady from the Philippines (GM customer service) was absolutely no help at all. Might as well talk to my cat about the issue.

I must have spoke with the same woman. I felt like I wasted my time. I am sorry to hear your problem. I think she said that 3 times. I decided to put in a complaint with the NHTSA. There are a lot there and I figured I would add my own. They will recall tailgate cables but a defect possibly causing deadly accidents? NOPE.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished replacing all my lines...I bought a kit from Summit racing. All stainless and pre bent for $330. Couldn't imagine bending them. Huge task as is.

Just wish GM would step up and do the right thing, on this serious safety issue. Most of the worst corrosion was where you couldn't easily see it.

Just finished replacing all my lines...I bought a kit from Summit racing. All stainless and pre bent for $330. Couldn't imagine bending them. Huge task as is.

Just wish GM would step up and do the right thing, on this serious safety issue. Most of the worst corrosion was where you couldn't easily see it.

Called dealer yesterday about replacing lines with pre-formed. He said they form them there. I told him about TSB 13-05-22-001. He was not aware of it. Getting pre-formed lines is supposed to drop the final cost way down. He told me he would check and call back. See what happens. This issue with complaints about accidents to the NHTSA has been going on for years and is still open. GM should not wait for some kind of multi vehicle tragedy but look what they did with the faulty ignition switches.