Brake line replacement

Called dealer yesterday about replacing lines with pre-formed. He said they form them there. I told him about TSB 13-05-22-001. He was not aware of it. Getting pre-formed lines is supposed to drop the final cost way down. He told me he would check and call back. See what happens. This issue with complaints about accidents to the NHTSA has been going on for years and is still open. GM should not wait for some kind of multi vehicle tragedy but look what they did with the faulty ignition switches.

What is TSB 13-05-22-001?

Is it a Technical Service Bulletin? And if so, where can I see a copy?

Thanks!

My curiosity question is are other vehicles having brake line issues in these same areas as the trucks? If no, then GM definitely needs to get it in gear, if there are then GM can't be held any more liable for rusting brake lines as any other vehicles manufacturer that has vehicles in the salt/rust/snow belt of US, Canada, or wherever else. Unless it rusted through in just a couple of years or something. Mileage doesn't matter in this case, it's the exposure factor that doing the damage.

Edited by 06SierraZ71

What is TSB 13-05-22-001?

Is it a Technical Service Bulletin? And if so, where can I see a copy?

Thanks!

2001 Chevrolet SILVERADO brake hoses, lines/piping, and fittings service bulletin (Bulletin SB-13-05-22-001)

Bulletin Date: Nov. 1, 2013

Component: Brake hoses, lines/piping, and fittings.

Bulletin Summary: Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac: anytime hydraulic brake pipes assembly need replacing, pre-formed and pre-flared brake pipes are available, except rear axle crossover pipe. Model 1999-2007 silverado, sierra, 2000-2006 escalade models, avalanche,

Vehicles covered in this TSB: •2000 Cadillac Escalade

•2001 Cadillac Escalade

•2002 Cadillac Escalade

•View more...

My curiosity question is are other vehicles having brake line issues in these same areas as the trucks? If no, then GM definitely needs to get it in gear, if there are then GM can't be held any more liable for rusting brake lines as any other vehicles manufacturer that has vehicles in the salt/rust/snow belt of US, Canada, or wherever else. Unless it rusted through in just a couple of years or something. Mileage doesn't matter in this case, it's the exposure factor that doing the damage.

only one I know of is Subaru and they DID a recall.

• 2 months later...

I just joined the ranks of the Blown Out Brake Line Club ! Not too thrilled at what I have been reading.

First i thought I can get away with just relacing the busted out one...look like I'll be doing them ALL !

Like the rest of you I'm not a HAPPY CAMPER ! :nonod:

I just joined the ranks of the Blown Out Brake Line Club ! Not too thrilled at what I have been reading.

First i thought I can get away with just relacing the busted out one...look like I'll be doing them ALL !

Like the rest of you I'm not a HAPPY CAMPER ! :nonod:

Make sure you check with your GM/Chev parts dept. I read on another forum that they (GM) are now selling a kit of pre-bent lines for a VERY reasonable price. The lines are also nylon coated to prevent rusting. I did read that this kit doesn't include the two rear axle lines, though but these are easy to hand bend. Mine haven't blown yet but gonna get the kit and be ready when they do.

Just thought I'd also confirm that I am in the brake line blowout club as well. Happened this spring on my 04 GMC Sierra. The line from the ABS unit to the rear blew out. Was getting onto the highway when people started stopping on the ramp. I suddenly could not stop and hit the guy in front of me. Cost me $225 or so for the replacement. Since the bill showed two 5 foot sections, I am assuming it is standard line and not some special coated stuff.

• Like 1

Make sure you check with your GM/Chev parts dept. I read on another forum that they (GM) are now selling a kit of pre-bent lines for a VERY reasonable price. The lines are also nylon coated to prevent rusting. I did read that this kit doesn't include the two rear axle lines, though but these are easy to hand bend. Mine haven't blown yet but gonna get the kit and be ready when they do.

I did look into it....a little over $200 for the kit. So I decided to get a Stainless Steel pre-bent kit from In Line Tube off of Ebay for $265

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-Truck-SUV-Brake-Line-Set-Kit-Tubes-Stainless-/271354899282?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2e032b52

Nice!!!

Thanks for the link!! Looks like their package includes ALL the parts needed..... well, except for the guy under the truck getting rust flakes in the face.... LOL

Nice!!!

Thanks for the link!! Looks like their package includes ALL the parts needed..... well, except for the guy under the truck getting rust flakes in the face.... LOL

You're Very Welcome ! :thumbs: I also started a new topic as I have begun the tearing down process.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/164000-blew-a-brake-line-in-process-of-replacement-but/?do=findComment&comment=1493726

Edited by SG Lou

Just came from my Chevy dealer and had checked the price for a pre-bent brakeline kit for my Silverado.

This kit is a 7 piece, stainless steel, nylon coated kit. Part # 1-22932587 which is for (among others) a 2004 Silverado Z71, Extended cab, 4WD, 5.3L engine (the one in my pic at left). They checked the application using my VIN number.

Total cost for the kit is $124 plus change.

Not a stock item due to the number of different kits available but overnight delivery usually. I ordered it!

UPDATE:

I just happened to check Amazon.com and found the same kit listed (use part # 22932587, omitting the "1-")

for a grand total of

$62.23 with FREE shipping.

Edited by Rich2004SilveradoZ71

I would like to know if you have room for 1 more to join your "rusted out brake line group". On 8/30 I had to stop short because some guy turned in front of me without looking, I hit my brakes hard and swerved out of the way and avoided hitting him and the brakes went to the floor after that, I got on my horn and the guy pulled over and waved to say sorry, now the truck is at the mechanic, he told me about $600 -$800 for labor, going to have them all done plus the 2 brake hoses up front, I only got the truck September 2013, already had rear end rebuilt and 2 front hub bearings, I replaced all 4 rotors myself and the truck has 112,000 miles on it. The truck originally came from Pennsylvania, very rusty underneath, I have looked at a lot of trucks, and it was very hard to find one with no rust, Its a shame they won't do a recall on this. Thanks for listening.

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the rapidly growing group. I read on another forum that we should document all expenses related to a brake failure in case in the future there is a recall or some action on GM's part. Also, if there was an accident, or as in your case, even a near miss, document this as well and report it to both GM and the NTSB or whatever Federal agency handles automotive defects. Make as much noise as you can! This is a dangerous problem.

• Like 1

So do I go on NHTSA and file a complaint.

Yes. They are still arguing with GM. GM says it is not a safety issue because the front and back are on different lines. I put in a complaint but dont expect it to ever be resolved. Replaced all the lines to avoid hitting someone and getting sued.

• Like 3