Sign in to follow this  
Fallz

2012 Tahoe Z71 tire and wheel question/need help

I have a 2012 Z71 Tahoe with a CCM lift 2.5" F and 1" rear is how its set up now.

It has 265.65.18 tires and stock rims (18x8) I think. I went to a tire shop today and they told me if I put bigger tires on (E rated) 285.65.18 I won't be able to get rid of the TPMS warning light.

If I decide to switch to 17" rims which is an option I am looking at and going with 285.70.17 the said I will still have the same issues with TPMS.

Is that the truth ? how do you all work around the bigger tire option sand LT rated tires.

Thanks

Mike

Never heard of such a thing. It shouldn't matter what tires you run, or what size rims that you run them on, as long as you have tire pressure monitors mounted in the rims and programmed to the truck. Does this tire shop have the ability to reprogram your TPM's? Maybe they are considering a different tire pressure compared to stock, but I'm running 305/40 R22's at 32psi front and 34psi rear and not getting a warning light, when factory was 17" rims and 38psi rear. Get a second opinion.

Edited by SILVERADOSC540

As long as tire diameters front and rear are the same, there will be no problem. Similar situation to that above: I went from factory 265/70-17s w/ 32 F/38 R psi specs to 275/55-20s running 33 psi F/R and have no light. The only time that change will be noticed is if your Onstar is active and they do a monthly report; it will squawk your rear tire pressure as low.

if I want to replace my tires I will have to go "E" rated and then the tires will be way higher in pressure . min of 50-65 with a E rated tire . Thats pretty much all thats available in the 285/70/17 and 285/65/18 market. I also pull a heavy load at times and a P rated is not going to cut it

I would not expect you guys to have any issues with what your running.

Thats whats going to code the light to go on and stay on (as per the tire shop).

Correct as what is stated above. The tire shop is saying since you will have E rated tires, the tire pressure will be higher and hence the TPMS light will activate. You have the option of just driving with the light which would be annoying, or you could see if the dealership could reprogram your truck for the new tire pressure.

I ran 285/70/17, E-rated BFG's on my old truck, which came with the factory 20's. All you have to do is have the dealer re-program the 'magic number' on the TPMS to a higher number. I had mine set to 45 psi...that way I could run 40-42 psi when it was empty, and bump up to 50-52 psi when towing...and the TPMS was always happy....as it allows a variance either direction of the preset number.

My truck came with "E" rated tires, as did most of the 6.2's on here, as part of the NHT option package. Mine was factory E rated tires and the recommended pressures were 32psi front and 38psi rear. Callaway reprogrammed the settings so that I don't get that warning light. I would suggest that you buy the tires that you want, regardless of size, and have your truck programmed accordingly. If you're going to tow, get the "E" rated tires, if not, then get what you like. The service description on my current tires is 305/40 ZR22 114W, which gives me plenty of load rating at 2601lbs., and plenty of speed rating as well. :driving:

Thanks Rod , love the new truck and its looks , congrats !!

I am also gonna give the Cooper AT3's a shot . Where did you get your set up ? locally??

Where are you going to get your tires from locally?

Im going to Rinderle tire in Neeosho on hyw 60 west of hartford.

Any other ideas ? where did you go ? Ive dealt with them many times and think they are a quality shop IMO. Always open to suggestions.

Edited by Fallz

Thanks Rod , love the new truck and its looks , congrats !!

I am also gonna give the Cooper AT3's a shot . Where did you get your set up ? locally??

Thank you! You'll like the Coopers! I had the lift, alignment, rims, and tires all done at a local tire shop.

Im going to Rinderle tire in Neeosho on hyw 60 west of hartford.

Any other ideas ? where did you go ? Ive dealt with them many times and think they are a quality shop IMO. Always open to suggestions.

I have been there a few times. My parents live like 5 minutes away from there. They use to be a good shop but then had trouble a few years ago and never went back. But I still here good things about them from other people.

I haven't purchased any tires lately other then a set from my wifes car which I got from the dealer. There is a few smaller shops I go to here and there for balancing/rotation etc. Mooses 4x4, D&D tire, Joe's Slinger service are a few.

I am still kicking the idea around to go to 20" wheels and I might go to Fleet Farm for a set of Cooper tires. There prices seem cheap.