So I've got a 2003 GMC Z71 Sierra with 165k on the clock. I loved this truck since I bought it in 2007 but now it starting to show some age and wear and I'm thinking about selling or trading it.

So far, I've replaced the started, both hubs, breaks, fludis, plugs and wires of course. I have neglected it and it needs front axle seals, water pump, shocks, knock sensors, evap sol, and I'm sure 4 new o2 sensors couldn't hurt. Oh, not to forget the heated seat element in the driver's seat that I never fixed. Some guy drug his mirrior all the way down the passenger side of the truck one day because his lane ended and he thought merging into the side of my truck was a good idea. Fixed. I've been rear ended twice, its was fixed once. Recently my wife dragged the side of the box down one of those poles that guard a building at the drive threw. A while back while pumping gas I looked at the bottom of the door exterior side down low and found a bubble in the paint. I popped it, full of water ugh.

I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts, opinions, or "this is what I would do." I've really gotten interested in diesels lately and I'd love a 4 door 2006 Duramax. They are about 20k. Wonder if I could get 9k for mine.I don't really tow much yet but I hope to someday.

• Like 1

I do not remember ,but 05-06 disels may have a very bad injector problem running in the 6,000.00 price range. Check out other older forum on the years in this site to be exact on which years the duramax was bad.

just want to save you an expensive repair .

scooby

I haven't' done much research myself but a friend of mine spent a lot of time gathering info. He ended up with a 2001 dully but favored the 2006 duramax. He said it had the least problems and emissions. I don't know how true that is.

2011-05-26134539.jpg

My kids are getting older and I really want a 4 door. I kinda wanted to hold onto this truck forever but I'm not sure about throwing all the money at it and trying to fix the rust issues that are beginning. I don't even have enough power to light the tires from a stand still...

What are some of the known problems with the GMT800?

Wheel hubs

Rusty rockers

Rusty door seams

steering clunk

water pump

gauge cluster

evap leaks

knock sensors

What am I missing?

Most of the things you mentioned will happen on a newer truck too, once it gets older. :lol:

If you really love your truck, keep it and put money into it.

As far as Dmax's go, the 2001 had gasket problems as well. When I was looking for my truck, I saw a 2006 Dmax for $35K. Couldn't believe it.

I'm happy with my 2006 half ton though, it's a good truck and a lot of upgrades from the earlier 800's.

depends if you want a payment or not. i have a 2003 also, id also like to get a newer dmax but i dont owe anything on my truck an havent since i bought it. and even after 125,000 miles it still rides good and is in great shape and i cant enough money for the truck at this point to get rid of it

I've had this paid off for some time now and I'm not really interested in jumping into another payment but I'm not liking the thought of dumping a bunch of money into it. I like the idea of owning 1 truck for a very long time and racking a lot of miles up on it. I should have rust proofed mine more.

another known problem

Castech heads

I've had this paid off for some time now and I'm not really interested in jumping into another payment but I'm not liking the thought of dumping a bunch of money into it. I like the idea of owning 1 truck for a very long time and racking a lot of miles up on it. I should have rust proofed mine more.

another known problem

Castech heads

castech head are very uncommon

I love my 01 Z71, i have put that truck through so much hell it's not even funny and it still runs like a champ with 210K miles on it. Sure the horn doesn't work, the hazard button is jammed down and constantly ticking, and the windshield wiper only goes up to speed 3. But i love the truck because it is mechanically sound and has never let me down once.

• Like 2

I love my 01 Z71, i have put that truck through so much hell it's not even funny and it still runs like a champ with 210K miles on it. Sure the horn doesn't work, the hazard button is jammed down and constantly ticking, and the windshield wiper only goes up to speed 3. But i love the truck because it is mechanically sound and has never let me down once.

idk what it is about the 99-02 style trucks. i know they are the same as the 03-07 but they just seem to last longer

• Like 1

idk what it is about the 99-02 style trucks. i know they are the same as the 03-07 but they just seem to last longer

that is so true, it's just something about them! There such a strong truck, I plan on keeping mine forever

Sent from my smartass iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2004 with 136K miles and it has had some of the ususal 800 series problems. Intermediate steering shaft, blower motor resistor, and lucky lucky me, I got stuck with the Castech head problem. I don't think the Castech problem has occured in large numbers, but I think it is a little more common than not. I've had one O2 sensor go south at 126K or so. I consider that a normal wear item not really a problem or issue. The next maintenance item that I need to take care of is replacing some rusty brake lines. My inlaws have a 2004 2500 and they just had a brake line go on theirs. The lines failed while pulling their horse trailer. Lucky for them they failed at the destination.

With 136k I'm expecting the fuel pump to fail soon. I had a 1999 Chevy Astro van and the fuel pump died with about 120K and my sons 2001 S-10's went at about 140K. If this truck is like any of the other GM vehicles I've owned, the altenator should be going soon as well.

The truck is runs smooth as silk, does everything that I ask it to do, and I firmly believe I've gotten good value for the money I spent on it. My plan is to take it well past 200k. I don't use it as my DD, anymore so I should have it a good long time.