18 inch wheels and tires

The GM engineers sucked on this one....the big tires are too big to allow chains.

We buy these big rigs to do real work in the mountains...that means we need to put chains on from time to time...real chains not the sissy cable things for highway use. So we get trucks that are made for highways...only Dodge and Ford allow chains on their full size pickups....or you can do the $2000+ conversion to 17 rims and tires....

It would seem like the dealer and sales people would know this and warn me since they know I use my trucks for real work...

No more GM (Obama motors) for me.

Please leave the politics out of the conversation and so will I. Also as a suggestion, you can read up on the owners manual on the what you can and cannot do with a truck, prior to purchase, as unless you are a regular purchaser a dealer will not know what you use your truck for. I've had mine through Alaska, Cananda, and the lower 48, during winter conditions, and not all highway, not even roadways at times, and have never used or needed chains. The engineers didn't put those big tires on those big wheels "we" did, the consumer, "we" want big tires, "we" want wide tires, they accomadated so the truck sells. I'm confused about the coversion to 17" rims, the trucks still are available with 17" wheels so you shouldn't need to do anything. Not trying to start a debate or insult in anyway, if I did I apologize and wish you a good day.

I got the truck I wanted, with the trim level I wanted. However, the only wheel/tire option for that combination was the 18" wheel with P265/65R18 tires. Right off the bat, I'm not very happy to have passenger tires on my truck, let alone the 18" size. But like I said, that is the only option with the model and trim level I wanted.

What I really wish the dealer would for me is swap the wheels right away before the truck leaves the lot. I'd still not have the tires I wanted, but at least the wheel size would be good.

Yep, the reason I got 18" wheels and wimpy car tires is because it is a "fancy" trim package, and most people who buy that never get off road, and rarely if ever engage the 4WD. Where I live though, I go through 2-3 feet of snow several times a year, routinely on snow-packed/ice in winter, travel many gravel roads, and get into greasy mud at least once a month from spring-fall.

So I had to swap wheels and tires, and now I am having a difficult time selling the brand new 18" wheel and tire combo because nobody really wants that combination for anything--at least around here, where many people actually use trucks as trucks, and not just passenger cars with beds.

Basically, then, I do wish the either the factory or the dealer would offer at least an option of better or different wheels and tires for any trim level.

you could of just gotten a WT, 1500 2500 or 3500 srw, which in fact come with 17 inch steel wheels. not to mention the "sissy" cable chain work better then the normal chains which are a pain to install compared to normal chains

I don't know exactly what year and model rig you have but on my 07 Classic I have 18's with 285/65R18 tires and have plenty of clearance for chains. I have never needed them on pavement or most snowy conditions but once or twice Elk hunting in very deep snow waaaaay up high they have been a lifesaver, literally.

I got the truck I wanted, with the trim level I wanted. However, the only wheel/tire option for that combination was the 18" wheel with P265/65R18 tires. Right off the bat, I'm not very happy to have passenger tires on my truck, let alone the 18" size. But like I said, that is the only option with the model and trim level I wanted.

You must be talking about a 1500 series 18" wheel / tire. 2500HD 18" tires a LT tires.

I'm not sure the OP isn't a troll.

Archived