Gear Swap

Hey guys I'm driving a 2013 Chevy 1500 Lt 4x4 5.3L and im looking to lift it and add 35s. Ive already decided on the lift kit and tires, but I'm wondering how bad my mileage is gonna suffer running that big of a tire with stock 3.42 ratio? I was considering swapping to the 4.56 gears, what you guys think? Anyone out there done a gear swap like this and can offer advice please chyme in I could use any help.

You are gonna lose a minimum of 2mpg highway with the 35s on your stock gearing. Some guys claim to regain their stock mileage, or close to it, when they regear. Everyone Ive talked to had 4.56s and 4spds, but I would assume you could get similar results. But, we all know what you do when you ass-u-me.

There is a guy in here that had a post about 4;56,s he put in his truck..I dont remeber what truck it was though.. I planned on doing 4;56,s myself..Because of future 35 inch tires i will be running, I have a 5spd allison so rite now at 70-75 mph im at 2250 rpms or so.. the hd truck i had that had a 4l80e with 4;10,s was at like 2600rpm at 70 mph.. You having a 6 spd..you will be fine with the 4;56,s.. Do a little more research though..It would suck to put 4;10,s in and then want more..

I agree, nothing good ever comes out of assumptions! I want to regear eventually, the only problem is its tough to find an offroad shop near me that is willing to quote me a price to do it. Anyone got any quotes of an average price that it would cost to regear a 4x4?

With the ratios of 4 and 6 speeds, a 4 speed with a 4.10 is about the same final drove as a 6 speed with 3.73.

4 speed with a 3.73 is like the 6 speed with a 3.42

And so on. People go to 4.56's with their 4 speeds, so that's why I believe the 4.10s would be good for you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I agree, nothing good ever comes out of assumptions! I want to regear eventually, the only problem is its tough to find an offroad shop near me that is willing to quote me a price to do it. Anyone got any quotes of an average price that it would cost to regear a 4x4?

I was quoted around $1500. Ive seen people say they were quoted or paid anywhere from $1400 to $2100. I would suggest a good local mechanic as opposed to a national chain shop, just make sure they have done a few before.

Thanks that helps a lot guys, i was thinking i would buy the ring and pinions myself and just have a shop install them to save a little money. I appreciate the comments! I will to post some pictures when its all put on the truck, Im gonna go with the rough country 7.5 inch lift, 20x10 XD Rockstars wrapped in 35 inch Toyo Open Country Mts. Should all be on the truck in 2 weeks if y'all want to check it out. Ill probably post a new topic under the lift kit forum.

Archived