Power Steering Lines Shake Like Crazy and Make Loud Noises

I have been trying to identify different noises with the truck and I finally got a helper to turn the wheel as I watch what is happening. The power steering lines make a growling noise ONLY when the wheel is turning to the right. Left turns are silent! Here are some pictures that might help but I doubt it ;)

20121218_162432_zpsfbcc3264.jpg

20121218_162447_zps3b31e303.jpg

20121218_162459_zpse6f5b269.jpg

The last picture is the power steering cooler that is attached to the radiator support bar. As you can see it is rusted pretty bad, but I can't find any leaks and the fluid looks very good and is filled to the proper level.

Why is the system being strained on only right hand turns?

I bought a grease gun today and greased all the places I could and it quieted down all the small squeaks.

Zac

I couldn't find the same issues as me but I did find some standard problems with steering gear boxes. Mine just makes noise when i turn to the right but the feeling remains the same. Other people report issues of no power steering when turning a certain direction, while it feels fine turning the other way. These issues have been tied to the steering gear box.

Does anyone have a link to a thread outlining the procedure for replacing a gear box?

My truck is the same way only opposite direction. I am planning on draining the power steering fluid and putting new synthetic fluid in and see if it fixes the issue.

I used a turkey baster and pulled about 12oz of fluid out of mine, started it up to make sure fluid in lines was out. Then once empty I put in 12oz of Royal Purple power steering fluid.

So far my noise is gone completely, has not done it once since I changed the fluid out. I think the prev owner used transmission fluid which was causing the issue.

Archived