Laptop tune or Diablo sport

ChiefBM

How about instead of ranting and raving about everything you know little to absolutely nothing about you let the original poster decide what he wants to do........ Once again, if you want to learn it, it's really not that hard and the support on the net ( beyond this forum in particular) is excellent. It's not for everyone, that's a fact. But I don't know the guy and neither do you.

Ranting and raving LOL...you make me laugh buddy.

I rest my case. Enjoy.

i wasnt saying in any way you dont know how to use EFI, you and i both know its not easy thats all i was saying. i know a few basic things, for gas and diesels but for the average joe, buying the software and logging/tuning isnt the easiest thing to figure out. i still want to take a course and learn more from professionals. your acting like i was attacking your ability to tune vehicles, i dont know what case youre resting. take it easy.

by the way i notice ur in west lock, whats best drag races to take part in around northern AB???

i wasnt saying in any way you dont know how to use EFI, you and i both know its not easy thats all i was saying. i know a few basic things, for gas and diesels but for the average joe, buying the software and logging/tuning isnt the easiest thing to figure out. i still want to take a course and learn more from professionals. your acting like i was attacking your ability to tune vehicles, i dont know what case youre resting. take it easy.

by the way i notice ur in west lock, whats best drag races to take part in around northern AB???

It's all good man. I just wasn't going into a pissing match that obviously isn't there, so my bad. Tuning isn't out of reach of anyone I don't think, but your background does help easing in. I have lots of industrial PLC work and plant environment "tuning" so to speak behind me so swapping to a vehicle isn't that big of a stretch. I also build engines and have a good understanding of what all the inputs and outputs on the computers driving my engines do... which you do need to know. That said a good friend of mine also self tunes and he is a pyschologist..... so really no tuning experience so to speak..... He is just a backyard mechanic with a turbo'd 5.3 in his truck. It all just takes time.

My big thing with tuners is a lot of them are really good.... but only at certain things. I can spend all the time I want on my truck to get it dialed in how I want it. Now expecting that from a 4 hour dyno session isn't really real world so I just don't. If you have a stockish or common to that particular tuner setup, well yes he can get it bang on. But that tuner probably spent a lot of hours getting a particular setup spot on and then tweaking that base tune can be done with relative ease for the most common basic combos most guys have. Otherwise he could spend 50 hours tuning your truck at $150 an hour if it's something he hasn't done much and it might still not run right........ $1000 software and spending some time learning might not be so bad at that point. Diesel is a big deal here so finding a good diesel tuner probably isn't quite as tough. A turbo'd LS engine truck..... not so much, lol. That being said they shouldn't take such an endeavour on, charging thousands and kick it out the door claiming it "done" when it runs like a bag of shit.... and quite a few around here do exactly that...... Even on basic stockish combos anybody should be able to get right.

Track wise..... Your guess is as good as mine. I have always raced in the drag aspect at Castrol..... and it's always a mixed bag which I am sure you know. Crowded like crazy and zero track prep. It's still fun, but it's an expectation killer that is for sure, lol. I hadn't gone in about 3 years until this past summer and it was exactly how I remembered it. It got good just before close when the few of us left could just hot lap and go.

I don't have anything really worth going to the track for. Well once the turbo is on my truck I will go play maybe...... Or if I can pick up this other regular cab short bed I am after it will get pretty wild.

There is no other legal drag racing I really know about.

Archived