Dyno loss.

Chris

I am debating a built 4L60E or a slightly built 4L80E when I change my tranny

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 06 shift points were at 5600-5700 anything over that it was wasting potential, i thought after 6000 yiu will float the valves in an lq4 or lq9? I can't remember how much timing I was running either but it was really high compared to stock, my truck was also tuned for premium fuel.

Chawkin, I was always on the hunt for ls1 heads.... Best bang for the buck I think...

The tuner I see is the LSx guy in town. He even had some fox body's in there with LS6 and LS7 swaps. I want to be around 550-600 rwhp.

550-600 your gonna need heads, huge cam, long tubes, intake, blah blah blah. A naturally aspirated 6 litre would cost alot to get 550...I've met a guy with a bored/stroker 6 litre with heads big cam it was 570...

If you want to get into the magical realm of 500hp club easily you need a turbo or a blower and a tranny. IMO I would go with a pro-charger, custom grind and long tubes. Including a tranny that could take punishment ur lookin at minimum 15 grand I would say. Notamember is a gasser know it all, he would know more than me. He is from Alberta so I trust his word lol.

I think it is tuned for premium because I was told to fill up immediately with premium after he asked what I had in it. It had 1/16 of a tank of 87 left

The 4l80e will definitely hold up better with the higher HP & torque.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The 4l80e will definitely hold up better with the higher HP & torque.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But then you have to put up with the super tall 1st gear. I would go with a built 60 before doing a 4l80 swap. It's not just a simple remove and instal, two wheel drive you have to cut the crossmember weld it back together, change up tranny lines, make a driveshaft in most cases...my buddy did one in his 4 wheel drive, it was a time consuming process to say the least. I would just pay for a built 4l60e from FLT...

I'm looking at a couple places for trannys. My tuner gets some, FLT, there's a list on my computer

550-600 your gonna need heads, huge cam, long tubes, intake, blah blah blah. A naturally aspirated 6 litre would cost alot to get 550...I've met a guy with a bored/stroker 6 litre with heads big cam it was 570...

If you want to get into the magical realm of 500hp club easily you need a turbo or a blower and a tranny. IMO I would go with a pro-charger, custom grind and long tubes. Including a tranny that could take punishment ur lookin at minimum 15 grand I would say. Notamember is a gasser know it all, he would know more than me. He is from Alberta so I trust his word lol.

A blower is on the list. I am going to go with the Procharger D1SC. My tuner wants me to go with the F1. I dont need that big

Woah, back the boat up. I just actually play with this junk in person, by myself and not talk about it on the internet which is honestly half or more of the stuff you find on forums. Know it all, hardly. Even not meant as an insult I hate that being insinuated. Lots of people know quite a bit about these trucks, and the powertrains.

FLT has a reasonable rep with the guys in the States, although I have no personal dealings myself with them. A 4L80E is the way to go though. The monstrous gap between 1st and 2nd on the 60E and it's variants is a lot more detrimental than the taller first of the 80. Not to mention a stock 80E with a shift kit will take abuse like mad especially in a lighter platform over a 60E. Yes you can build a 60E to take some power especially in a lighter truck..... but it just seems like a lot of cost for nothing..... but then I like cheap. Personal preference weighs heavy on that though.

An LQ4 doesn't need premium fuel even tuned IMO and personal findings along with more than a couple others online. I am just under the 30 mark and it runs fine with no knock on 87. Low compression ratio does that for you coupled with aluminum heads and decent combustion chambers. An LQ9 with 10:1 is could still pull well on 87 too but it's easier to avoid the knock potential and go full bore on premium gas. The only thing I like about premium now is the lack of ethanol content in most of it which on 87 you are looking at 10% here province wide. I don't hate ethanol but its simpler using gas without it.

No matter the build it should be a fun truck in the end :)

I have the LQ9 and I think even my premium fuel has ethanol.

I'm looking into PATC's Bionic 80. They have a cross member to convert as well. The trans is my next upgrade

Woah, back the boat up. I just actually play with this junk in person, by myself and not talk about it on the internet which is honestly half or more of the stuff you find on forums. Know it all, hardly. Even not meant as an insult I hate that being insinuated. Lots of people know quite a bit about these trucks, and the powertrains.

FLT has a reasonable rep with the guys in the States, although I have no personal dealings myself with them. A 4L80E is the way to go though. The monstrous gap between 1st and 2nd on the 60E and it's variants is a lot more detrimental than the taller first of the 80. Not to mention a stock 80E with a shift kit will take abuse like mad especially in a lighter platform over a 60E. Yes you can build a 60E to take some power especially in a lighter truck..... but it just seems like a lot of cost for nothing..... but then I like cheap. Personal preference weighs heavy on that though.

An LQ4 doesn't need premium fuel even tuned IMO and personal findings along with more than a couple others online. I am just under the 30 mark and it runs fine with no knock on 87. Low compression ratio does that for you coupled with aluminum heads and decent combustion chambers. An LQ9 with 10:1 is could still pull well on 87 too but it's easier to avoid the knock potential and go full bore on premium gas. The only thing I like about premium now is the lack of ethanol content in most of it which on 87 you are looking at 10% here province wide. I don't hate ethanol but its simpler using gas without it.

No matter the build it should be a fun truck in the end :)

I was just tryin to get a rise out of you, where's ur sense of humour? You're to easy lol. I just said that cuz I know you have the ability to divulge some quality info with gassers. I had a higher HP 2002 but it was a stick shift. I swapped in a Sachs clutch and burnt thru syncro's like it was goin outta style :-) my 06 had 4l80e put up with some serious punishment as well, big tires in the bush playin in the mud lots. I can't count on both hands how many times I shifted that thing from 1st to rev with my foot to the floor in 4x4 LOL. Tough tranny it was, how much HP can the 80 actually handle tho? Aren't they just a glorified TH400???

But hey you mention big gap between first and second the 60 is known for. So ur saying a higher stall t/c with 4l80e is a better choice? Ever help doing that swap? It takes alot of patience!!

PATC has everything needed for the swap. A lot of guys on silveradoss.com go with a 80 or a FLT level 5-7 60. I do tow on occasion so I want a nicer tranny and because I tow I don't think I can get crazy with the stall

I was just tryin to get a rise out of you, where's ur sense of humour? You're to easy lol. I just said that cuz I know you have the ability to divulge some quality info with gassers. I had a higher HP 2002 but it was a stick shift. I swapped in a Sachs clutch and burnt thru syncro's like it was goin outta style :-) my 06 had 4l80e put up with some serious punishment as well, big tires in the bush playin in the mud lots. I can't count on both hands how many times I shifted that thing from 1st to rev with my foot to the floor in 4x4 LOL. Tough tranny it was, how much HP can the 80 actually handle tho? Aren't they just a glorified TH400???

But hey you mention big gap between first and second the 60 is known for. So ur saying a higher stall t/c with 4l80e is a better choice? Ever help doing that swap? It takes alot of patience!!

Swap, no not yet. I just buy trucks that have 80E's to start with only being either 1500HD's or the oddball light duty 2500's( same truck as the 1500HD for everything..... just cost more to insure as they are badged a 3/4 ton).

When I do swap one ( once I get a regular cab short bed 4X4 03-07) I will do the exact same thing as my buddy did with his wiring wise. Just leave the 60E's harness, move a couple wires add 2 relays to do some polarity reversion and run it with the 60E's tune. T case is easy as the 246 comes with the 80E, lengthen and shorten some driveshafts and build a crossmember, or mod the existing one. It's not a bolt in swap, no....... but then the KB racing turbo I am putting on my 04 light duty 2500 really isn't either. But I have a friend that did his own and a couple of his friends trucks already for the trans..... and the turbo too actually. His truck is a turbo'd 5.3 with a 4L80E, and NVG 149 AWD t case in a slammed reg cab short bed 4X4.

What can they handle????? No idea....... but it's a lot more than most ever play with. A lot of guys say around 800 HP but then weight is a big factor too. It's a tougher trans than a 400 IMO, and they are somewhat related but not really.

If I don't know the person in reality I honestly have no sense of ha ha on the internet, lol.

I have the LQ9 and I think even my premium fuel has ethanol.

I'm looking into PATC's Bionic 80. They have a cross member to convert as well. The trans is my next upgrade

Some fuel does and some doesn't. Here it's easy as generally anything labelled higher than 91 octane has 10% ethanol making it 94 which is only sold by 2 different vendors. I have done quite a bit of work at both the Shell and Suncor truck loadout stations in Edmonton and I know what they blend as it's just base stocks coming out of the refineries and they do the additive blending when they load the tankers. Ethanol of course is one of those additives. I would imagine anywhere else would be a very similar process.

Archived