drive line "shudder" with change in speed

I just bought an 02 2500HD Crew at an auction. Driving it home (Chicago to Portland, OR) it developed a drive line "shudder".

It feels to me the energy is coming through the cab at the back wall. It's pretty energetic as it lights up the floor.

I crawled under the truck to look for loose items but found nothing. The carrier bearing on the two piece drive shaft is tight, but the polymer portion that holds the bearing in its mount appears to be deteriorated (I can see light through it).

I have identified this part as my issue. It's not too bad yet, so before I order parts, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can confirm my diagnosis.

that hanger bearing is suppost to be like that ,what you have to look for there is with A LIGHT is for the rubber around the bearing is torn or not ,,,,,get a guy to look at it if you dont understand ,be smart when self diagnosing ,not "repair by guessing "

chaulk wheels ,put in neutral and check u joints with a .....LIGHT !!!!

better yet ,take it to a tech for a roadworthy inspection ,be smart

Thanks for the advice Rob, but as a former GM engineer responsible for the assembly of the chassis (and current Freightliner engineer responsible for assembly of chassises), I think I remember what it is supposed to look like. Also having done vehicle dynamics and tuning of these very vehicles, I'm probably "a guy" you'd like to get to look at it.

What I'm looking for is someone who has experienced what I was attempting to describe (the deterioration of the carrier bearing resulting in the "shudder") and corrected it because I'm lazy and thrifty and don't want to buy the part I don't need or take the four hours to swap it out if I have say a problem in the tailshaft of the Allison .

I don't have a lot of experience with trucks with 150,000 miles on them (most of my development vehicles where under 20,000). I'm looking for someone who does that can say "Yeah, changed my last spring fixed that 'bluaaaauap' right up."

I believe there is a tsb for defective cab mounts with a known fix for vibration issues in that year truck. It involves replacing the mount bushings with different style.

Thanks for the advice Rob, but as a former GM engineer responsible for the assembly of the chassis (and current Freightliner engineer responsible for assembly of chassises), I think I remember what it is supposed to look like. Also having done vehicle dynamics and tuning of these very vehicles, I'm probably "a guy" you'd like to get to look at it.

What I'm looking for is someone who has experienced what I was attempting to describe (the deterioration of the carrier bearing resulting in the "shudder") and corrected it because I'm lazy and thrifty and don't want to buy the part I don't need or take the four hours to swap it out if I have say a problem in the tailshaft of the Allison .

I don't have a lot of experience with trucks with 150,000 miles on them (most of my development vehicles where under 20,000). I'm looking for someone who does that can say "Yeah, changed my last spring fixed that 'bluaaaauap' right up."

awesome resume mickey ,good luck !! and welcome !!!

Archived