Promising better fuel economy for AFM engines, the Range

Zane

Mixed driving in my 3.08 gives me 16.5 just like Gadwall. Although I am not a "grandpa" driver so maybe if I was a grandpa I could hit over 17. It's hard to hold a lead foot off the accelerator sometimes. Just like he said...tail wind is a big difference. Winter blend gasoline is a big hit too. I went from 16.5 to below 15 this winter. It's just now starting to come back with the summer blends. If any of the V4 units can show 2-3 across multiple test, I'll probably be game for one.

That's not to terrible. I know two people who average 17.5 with the 3,08 gears, but the one drives mostly highway.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travis,

Have you noticed any change on the w/e's at all? Mostly hwy, or mixed?

Chris

I honestly don't see a difference in MPG at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Since it appears the Range module interferes with the Onstar monthly reports, does anyone know if the module interferes with the remote commands you can send from an Android (and I believe a iPhone). Commands such as start/stop, read air pressures, send a route to the navigation unit (if installed)?

Since it appears the Range module interferes with the Onstar monthly reports, does anyone know if the module interferes with the remote commands you can send from an Android (and I believe a iPhone). Commands such as start/stop, read air pressures, send a route to the navigation unit (if installed)?

We found that it didn't seem to prevent locking/unlocking. It did prevent tire-pressure readings. Not sure about nav route.

How about tire pressure readings to the I/P cluster or tire pressure system warnings? Anyone install the range and test the TPMS by dropping a tire or two down to around 20 psi?

• 4 weeks later...

From what i read, most everyone that tested or bought it lived way up north or in hilly terrain. I am very curious how this would act down south where everything is flat, there seems to be way more opportunity to use v4 vs v8 down here.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ken,

I am considering your product for my 6.2 (3.42) to boost economy in the city. My AFM activates rarely unless I am going downhill. The 6.2 has a huge amount of torque over a wide RPM. A few months ago GM had a bulletin that resulted in dealers making ECM changes that reduced AFM parameters in the 5.3's. Here's what's bothering me....

It's in GM's best interest to maximize economy so why dial back rather than increase V-4 mode? I suspected an engine lube issue when the reports surfaced. The other possibility could be a more seamless transition? Why did GM give up an 8-10% improvement in economy...what's the trade off?

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming you can buy a new truck without AFM right? Too many electronic gizmos on new trucks these days. And then you have to buy another plug and play module to override something that shouldn't have been there in the first place, AFM. I guess it might gain you 2-3 mpg but I'd rather just have a V8 all the time and just deal with it. Uneven cylinder wear doesn't sound like a very good tradeoff to slightly better fuel economy. Though its funny that cylinder wear is even an issue, these trucks should run 300,000 miles with no cylinder wear. Guess they just don't build them like they used to. Building them to sell and not to last.

Archived