transmission dipstick tube recall

My truck is on the recall list. I only have 8000 miles on it and the dipstick has not cracked or broken. I understand the dealer will replace the tube if it is cracked and install a foam sleeve on the tube if it is not broken. I do not like taking my vehicle to the dealer for any reason,ually get it back in much worse condition. I purchased the sleeve GM part # 24262134 to do it myself. can someone upload the instructions to install it. I guess it just slips over the tube to absorb vibrations to prevent the tube from fatigue cracking. Maybe someone can look at theirs if they had the recall performed and tell me where the sleeve went. Thanks

gmLogoFlat.gif Service Information

2010 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Cheyenne, Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Campaigns | Customer Satisfaction | Document ID: 2914922

#12138: Customer Satisfaction - Transmission Dipstick Tube Fracture - (Oct 24, 2012)

999999995.gif

Subject: 12138 — Transmission Dipstick Tube Fracture

Models: 2010-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2010-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2010-2011 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

Equipped with Active Fuel Management

*******THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOVEMBER 30, 2014.*******

Condition

Certain 2010 and 2011 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles, equipped with Active Fuel Management, may have a condition in which normal engine vibration while in AFM mode may cause the transmission dipstick tube to fatigue and fracture. If this occurs, it could cause a tick or rattle noise from the front of the vehicle.

Correction

Dealers are to inspect the transmission dipstick tube for a fracture and replace it if necessary. If no fracture is found, dealers are to install a foam sleeve around the tube to absorb the vibration.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Parts Ordering Information – For US & Canada Dealers Important: Involved dealers will receive RIM "Service Campaign" Stocking Policy Proposals for the transmission filler tube, P/N 24260606, based on their past sales on this part. The RIM proposals will be scheduled to begin October 25, 2012. Once the policy is approved, RIM will push this additional stock accordingly. Due to the predicted low failure rate we strongly encourage that you allow RIM to manage your inventory on P/N 24260606. Canadian dealers will not receive a special stocking policy but are also encouraged to have RIM manage their inventory.

Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number

Description

Quantity/Vehicle

SLEEVE, TRANS FLUID FIL TUBE

1 (If Req’d)

Service Procedure

A small proportion of transmission filler tubes may have metal fatigue damage due to engine vibration while in active fuel management (AFM) mode. The inspection procedure in this bulletin will identify transmission filler tubes that have been damaged.

1. Open hood.

2906255.gif

tif.gif

2. Remove dipstick from transmission filler tube.

Note: If required, use a step to aid in grasping the transmission filler tube correctly.

3. Grasp the transmission filler tube with your thumb and first two fingers of your right hand. Your thumb should be on the passenger side of the transmission filler tube and parallel to the filler tube.

4. Using only your thumb and the first two fingers of your right hand, force the transmission filler tube toward the driver's seating position and then back to the passenger's front wheel two times.

5. Determine if the transmission filler tube is damaged. An undamaged transmission filler tube will move less than two inches and spring back to its original position, while a damaged transmission filler tube will move greater than two inches and will not spring back to its original position. A damaged transmission filler tube will likely crack during this inspection.

If the transmission filler tube is not damaged, proceed to Step 6.

If the transmission filler tube is damaged, replace the transmission filler tube. Refer to Transmission Fluid Filler Tube and Seal Replacement in SI.

6. Inspect for adequate clearance between the transmission filler tube and the front of dash area or any heater lines that might be in the area. Create a gap between the transmission filler tube and front of dash or heater lines as needed.

2906258.gif

tif.gif

Note: The tie strap threads between the fill tube and half the foam damper using the slot in the sleeve. This is secured to the top half of the tube, leaving the lower half of the damper free.

7. Install a foam damper (sleeve) on the upper end of the transmission filler tube using a tie strap. Refer to illustration.

8. Install transmission dipstick.

9. Close hood.

[/url]

Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Customer Notification – For US and Canada

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification – For Export

Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter. [/url]

Dealer Program Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through November 30, 2014.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through November 30, 2014, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle. November 2012

Dear General Motors Customer:

We have learned that your 2010 or 2011 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, or Escalade EXT, or Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, or Tahoe, or GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, equipped with Active Fuel Management (AFM), may have a condition in which normal engine vibration while in AFM mode may cause the transmission dipstick tube to fatigue and fracture. If this occurs, it could cause a tick or rattle noise from the front of the vehicle.

Your satisfaction with your GM vehicle is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will inspect the transmission dipstick tube for a fracture and replace it if necessary. If no fracture is found, your dealer will install a foam sleeve around the tube to absorb the vibration. This service will be performed for you at no charge until November 30, 2014. After that, any applicable warranty will apply.

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your dealer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date.

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your GM vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

yea that's it...

if you want of pic of it installed in a truck i can take a pic for you.

i'm in the same boat and went to a dealer yesterday for the first time in at least 10 years (to have the auto door locks disabled). they wouldn't flash the door lock fix without doing this safety recalls first :rolleyes: mine turned out fine like i told them and they just installed the foam sleeve. (i did not mention the fact that i afm disabled anyway ;) )

Had this done at the local dealer before the end of the year. As posted took about 1/2 hour and mine only required the sleeve. To the OP, I really understand having to deal with dealers like you have described. It is a pain when they tear up more than they fix. I believe I'd look for a new dealer; that's what I did. Good luck with the fix.

Archived