Spark Plug Wires

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 69Bronco

69Bronco

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

2003 HD 1500 6 L, having difficulty removing the spark plug wires from the spark plug. What is the trick, I pulled hard on both the aluminum cap surround the plug boot and the plug boot and was not able to get the plug wire off the plug. Is there a special tool that I need to remove the plug wires?

Thank you for the help.

#2 Carder

Carder

Turbo Powaaaaa!

• 2,163 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Drives:2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

They do make spark plug boot pullers but if you are going to be replacing the wires then get some channel locks and rip them bastards off!

Main ride: 2013 Vee-Dub GTI

Other ride: 1994 atoyoT MR2 Jap Spec G-Limited

#3 dewfpo

dewfpo

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous

• 1,773 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Twist.

Twist and pull.

Use a little bit of silicone or dielectric grease on the inside of the boots when reinstalling (not to mention anti-seize on the plugs).

DEWFPO
2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#4 ezstriper

ezstriper

Enthusiast

• 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

the aluminum cover just snap over wire ends, pull those back first, then use plug wire remover to get the wire itself off...
"I have no recolection of that senator"

#5 Chevyboy86

Chevyboy86

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,045 posts
  • Drives:WORD UP

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I've never re-used plug wires not worth it IMO. I've always replaced them if I was changing plugs too. And like dewfpo added, use some grease on em.

2007.5 Sierra SLT 2500hd duramax, Leather, Sunroof, 6" Lift, DVD, Crazy Stereo, Industrial Injection S475 compound turbo kit, suncoast Gmax-6 tranny built by Husker Diesel, 1058 suncoast triple disc t/c, M/A transfer case brace, EFI LIVE DSP5 by idaho rob, 35x12.5r20 STT's on BMF Novakanes, Amp Research Steps, 3 JL audio amps, 2 woofers, components and tweets, bullet proof bumper, air dog 150 and all kinds of other goodies im forgetting.  RIP CAINER
on the water dmax2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users