Dash lights remain ON, why?

Dag19

Question

Howdy!

Got a few questions regarding my 07 Sierra (new body style). Lately, after I shut my pickup off and leave it the dash lights don't go off after the key is completely out of the ignition and the timer for the headlights has shut the headlights off as well. I feel like it is something in my switch because when I start my pickup in the morning most of the time the dash lights won't turn on until I turn the knob to adjust the brightness of the lights.

The only way I can get the lights to go off is by inserting the key in the ignition and turning the key to the "on" position multiple times. Tonight when I was trying to get them to go off I could hear some type of clicking under the hood. I couldn't determine where it was coming from but it seemed almost like it was something in the fuse box for the headlights cause it was simultaneous when the headlights shut off. Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

The dash lights will remain on when the light sensor detects low light. Opening the door shuts it off after key out. They won't go out immediately, and neither will the radio, upon engine off / key out. Retained Accessory Power, I think it's called. I never used the headlight feature because it drains the battery needlessly IMO, but I think the headlights are independent of the RAP.

Someone who knows more about these electronic wonders will chime in eventually ... but I think that's normal.

EDIT to say, RAP remains on after key out for 10 minutes.

Edited by Jsdirt

I agree on all you said and makes perfect sense but normally when the door opens it cuts the power and everything shuts off. Just tonight I went back out to the garage to see if it was an extremely long timer delay...and it must have been because 30 minutes after I let it sit, the lights were still on.

I have done that test before to see how long they would stay on and I am afraid its indefinite. It hasn't happened the past 4 years I've had the pickup.

You definatley have a problem. Electrical problems suck to diagnose. I know I had a low battery and it caused my dash to stay live and do weird things with key off and out.

I'm sure that's not your problem, but keep us updated, as these trucks get older the gremlins come out and people sharing their problems and fixes helps everybody. Good luck.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

That very well could be my problem Tanked. I know the battery that is in there is the original battery from the factory. I have noticed that it turns over slower and slower lately these days. It doesn't seem feasible that this is my problem but as we all know ANYTHIING can happen with electrical gremlins!! Silly things anyway.

And I agree The Dude. That was going to be my first item to replace but I am not sure how to even get into the dash to replace it. Lil help?!

The section of the service manual just for interior controls is about 6" thick - all electrical. You should see the one for the engine ....

The outer shell of the instrument cluster requires NO tools to remove - it's all held in by clips. It makes you cringe, but a sharp tug will pull it free. Just go evenly around it so it doesn't bust in two. Once that's free you can get to the switch after unplugging all the wires.

Oh, and you probably want to have the battery on a decent charger while you do all of this. 30 minutes with the lights on is one hell of a draw.

Edited by Jsdirt

Oh man....I want nothing to do with that electrical manual. Electrical is my nemisis anyway!

Alright, I will look into that. Is the whole dash going to have to come off, is it one giant piece? Which side should I start on?

Luckily the headlights always go off as they should so its only the dash lights that were on for those 30 minutes.

It's not the whole dash - it's just a thin plastic trim piece that goes around the instrument cluster. The dial should be mounted in that. You'll have to look at it closely - I'm going by memory here so be aware.

So I have replaced the light switch with a new one....its worse. I couldn't get the dash lights to even come on this morning. Then when they finally came on....on their own while driving down the road....I couldn't get them to shut off after I shut the pickup off at work. It took 25-30 cycles of turning the ignition to the on/off position before they would shut off. What is the next thing I can do in order to alleviate my problem?

Sounds like it's probably a body control module issue. That's out of my area of expertise. When I have problems like that on my own vehicles, I throw the magic box in the trash and wire it up my way. :lol:

That's the magic box I was referring to. One of them, anyway ...

It grounds various interior functions to make them work, to put it simply.

That I don't really know. I know on my piece of junk '00 Jimmy, it was located under the front of the center console, under the dash - may be the same on the trucks ... might not. Price wise, not sure on that either, but I can bet it's far north of $100, as most of these things tend to be.

I'd wait for someone to chime in here that works on these things daily before tearing out the console.

Piece of junk?! haha come on now!! Hmmm alright, I sure hope someone else has had this issue and can come up with a solution. It bugs me! I know it, electrical goods are expensive. I hope I don't have to go that route.