4 speed vs 6 speed

I've got a 2007 Tahoe ltz that I believe has a 6 speed transmission it. It is also 2wd. It has 105,000 miles on it so I'm looking to get something a little newer with lower mileage. I found a 2008 Tahoe ltz with 60,000 miles. For about $14,000 I GE the following upgrades

4wd

DVD

Navigation

Backup camera

I think I lose the Bose stereo but need to look again.

I'm about to pull the trigger except it has a 4speed transmission. I personally like the six speed although would like to hear opinions. I thought they only came with 6 speeds.

We put about 20,000 miles per year on the vehicle where about 60% is highway miles. Will I see gas mileage difference? Any other pros and cons?

i dont really think it would be worth paying 14,000 for nearly the same tahoe with 60,000 miles. you could probably find a better deal somewhere. not to mention you could keep your tahoe and save your money. that tahoe should go way more the 100k

I have had several of the 4l60e 4 speeds. All performed excellent! They prefer low gearing though. 3.73-4.10.

I currently have a 6 speed 3.42 and if i was to go back to the 4 speed I wouldn't miss much. Unless it was a 4 speed with the 3.08 gear in the back... That combo can go to ****!

The 700R4/4L60/60E etc etc trannys are really just okay. I would say stay away and get one with the new 6 speeds. People will say that the older 4 speeds were good, but I had personal experience with them with my 1995 Z28, and my buddy's Suburban. After 100k on them they are really hit or miss, and will starting failing.

i dont really think it would be worth paying 14,000 for nearly the same tahoe with 60,000 miles. you could probably find a better deal somewhere. not to mention you could keep your tahoe and save your money. that tahoe should go way more the 100k

I agree with the above. $14k is too much for only being 1 year newer and 40k less miles and only adding 4wd, camera, dvd and navagation... And also as mention, both should be 4speeds.

The 700R4/4L60/60E etc etc trannys are really just okay. I would say stay away and get one with the new 6 speeds. People will say that the older 4 speeds were good, but I had personal experience with them with my 1995 Z28, and my buddy's Suburban. After 100k on them they are really hit or miss, and will starting failing.

Can't compare reliability between the the older 4-spds and the newer ones. GM upgraded the "weak" points over the years, and 4L60's after ~2005 got a new sun shell. In fact, I don't recall anyone on here (or personally) that's had a problem w/ a stock 06+ 5.3/4L60 or 6.0/4L70. When they do need work, aftermarket support for building them is very good, and relatively inexpensive. That said, I'd probably look for a little newer model for that price, which will likely have a 6-spd (2009+). I prefer the 4-spds for daily driving, but I'd rather have a 6 for towing our camper.

To the OP... unless somebody swapped it, you have a 4-spd in the '07 Tahoe. Can you shift from 1 through 6, and see it on the display? If it says "PRND321", then it's a 4-spd auto.

i agree.. the 6 speed is newer and better. the 4 speeds are OK, but hes right, they are hit or miss. i had a 4L60 completely grenade on a 03 suburban at about 115k. it was never ever beaten on. and i have 2 other 4L60's. only good thing is that there is a very large aftermarket support system and there are endless parts for them available

I would also say ask the guys with the LS2 Trailblazers if they like their 4L60 trannys?(4L70). Again those series of trannys are not super strong. And saying that the aftermarket is big for them is basically saying, yes they will break and you will need to drop between $2-3000 on them to really make them good and e is really no money saving point in this case. The new 6L80s and 6L90s made stronger and so far have shown to be much more durable(granted they are still new). All in all part of my reason that I got a 3/4ton gasser was I knew it came with the 4L80E tranny that has been very reliable. Now Gas milage that is a whole other issue! Again just my 2 cents :)

Archived