Ways To Increase Gas Milage In 04 2500HD

It sounds like you share one vehicle. Have you considered taking that $3000 and buying a car that gets good milage? Then you both have transportation and you also save on adding more miles to your truck. Just a thought.

I did this. The saving of the gas money and the less km on the truck paid for the car plus if I have one apart I can drive the other win-win.

As for increasing gas mileage in the truck there isn't much that you can buy and get the money back out of through saving on mileage. Best to drive soft and stock, no lift stock tires.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 31 inch tall tires. They came on the truck. I love them. Those aren't going to change and the fact the truck came with 29 inch tall tires stock. I don't see much difference. The lift...that is for when the truck is almost paid off and I have the money to throw around with the decrease in gas milage because I don't have a payment. But I see what you are saying. But buying her something out right with cash is not possible. It really isn't. Her dad is buying a vehicle from a family member or really close friend of the family. 2000 honda accord 5 speed. It will get great gas milage but again her old car is what he is driving and it barely drives. So there isn't much life left in it. Anyways, I'll still try the programmer and exhaust, see what happens. But by all means this isn't the end of my thread. lol. Let's talk about what stuff everyone has done and what gains they have seen.

I gained maybe 2 MPG 3 on a good day. That was with my 4.8, a custom tune from black bear performance, a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust from MBRP, and going from A/T tired to H/T.

I lost those gains when I had the 6.0 dropped in

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I have thought a few times that if it was worth it to drop the 6.0 diesel and allison transmission in mine but I don't think the money it would cost would be worth it. It's not really a regret but I would like the diesel beacause even though it costs more to fill up the fuel would last almost a month in my case so the savings are there. But seriously to buy a truck with it already in it is what a 40-60 thousand dollar investment? I don't have stuff to haul around that would call for a diesel but the sound of that turbo and the sound of that motor is really beautiful to me. I get envious of everyone that I pass on the road. And I think the aftermarket has really tailored to what can be done with a diesel. I mean you can run wet methanol injection and you can convert with almost no effort to bio-diesel. It's almost like there is no end to what you can do with one. But it's gas sucking brothers on the other hand. They just fall off after a bit.

My good friend had an 06 just like mine minus a few things. His was a 1500 custom ordered HD and it was an extended cab. He also had posi I believe. I know mine is limited slip. At least I'm pretty sure. I haven't taken the time to do the research on what comes in my specific package yet.

The differential is either open or locking. No limited slip available in the GM trucks. If you open the glove compartment door look for the white sticker if the code G80 is there you have the locker. If it is not there it is an open differential

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Don't expect any any mpg gain from changing your oil. Now (speaking from experience), if you live in a very cold climate you will see a touch of mpg improvement if you change ALL the fluids out to synthetic (both diffs, transfer case, trans, engine, and PS).

Some very cheap and proven effective ways to decrease your current fuel consumption :

- Make sure your tires have proper air pressure.

- Make sure your engine is in good tune. (spark plugs, air filter, the usual suspects).

- Don't warm/idle up your engine.

- Lower your cruising speed by 5 mph,

DEWFPO

I've seen very minimal gains in MPG's when doing an oil change but maybe it's just all in my head. I can't change out to synthetic fluids because that is the one thing that I don't know about my truck. I'm the second owner and if the previous owner never used synthetic oils and the like, it could cause seals and gaskets to leak. I have a no leak truck at this moment and I don't want that to change. Spark plugs and wires are on the list right after the oil change. I honestly don't do the warm up/idle my engine. I live in Phoenix Arizona. Yes it gets hotter than hell here but it does get cold as well. Let's just say the other week it was a high of 48 degrees for most of it. Anyways, again thanks for the input.

I can't change out to synthetic fluids because that is the one thing that I don't know about my truck. I'm the second owner and if the previous owner never used synthetic oils and the like, it could cause seals and gaskets to leak. I have a no leak truck at this moment and I don't want that to change.

Sounds like you may not benefit much from synthetics unless you are concerned about extreme heat. Your statement above is no longer accurate and hasn't been for a very long time. When synthetics went mainstream in the early 1980's your concern was a valid issue at the time. But that changed quickly when the problem was recognized and all synthetics were reformulated and has not been an issue for at least 25 years so no worries there. In fact a fair number of folks switch back and forth between dino oil and synthetics with the seasons and have no leak issues at all.

DEWFPO

Basically stock and with the above mentioned driving habits, tire inflation. and proper state of tune are as good as it gets. I have a EFILive tune( by me), e fans, MIT, GMT900 airbox, and a flo pro muffler on my 05 1500HD ( LQ4, 4L80E and only marginally lighter truck than a 2500HD) and it did nothing really noticeable for mileage. Honestly the electric fans may have benefitted slightly but I didn't really pay attention to it. Lean cruise can be enabled via EFILive with an OS swap but in a heavy truck it has proven to be pretty useless. A tune may help a bit but the power change and drivability difference on an LQ4 is huge, thus worth it on it's own.

Your 10.5" rear will have a Gov Lock in it which is code G80. It's not a limited slip, it's a really crappy locker..... and the 10.5" ones aren't a ton better than the 8.5" version strengthwise. The only limited slip is under RPO code G86... which I have never seen in an HD personally and have only read about.

Your 10.5" rear will have a Gov Lock in it which is code G80. It's not a limited slip, it's a really crappy locker..... and the 10.5" ones aren't a ton better than the 8.5" version strengthwise. The only limited slip is under RPO code G86... which I have never seen in an HD personally and have only read about.

What's crappy about it?

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

the G80's not crappy, they just dont hold up well to abuse (serious offroading/ burnouts) and the lock up when they are not supposed to like while making a turn on dry pavement and they sometimes randomly lock up.

the G80's not crappy, they just dont hold up well to abuse (serious offroading/ burnouts) and the lock up when they are not supposed to like while making a turn on dry pavement and they sometimes randomly lock up.

Abuse aside that makes them good?????? Lol.. I forgot what website this was for a moment so I apologize.......

Not the point of the thread and you won't change my opinion nor experience with them.

Archived