2001 chevy, 8.1 lt, 3500 dually, gas, allison automatic transmission,

Tranny won't shift into 3rd gear by manual shift, 1, 2 ,3 OD or just in OD. Automatic tranny. Its 4 degrees below -15 wind chill. Sat over night. No garage but out of wind. Drove 26 miles into town. Been running Fine, 101000 just. 3o yr vet mechanic thinks to try, fuse, sencors, too cold for fluid to flow, charging system, battery cable end connection, battery not enough power? CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. Rough manual shift from park to overdrive/ov. Tranny Fluid ok, ckecked by tech. Tranny temp 150 during 26 miles return trip home. Tuck is mantained by mechanic regularly.

Help! Other, how long can I drive just 25, in town sl, before next problem? ...THANKS, TIA

Have your mechanic pull the error code(s) and you will know more about what your dealing with. If the ATF got to 150 it was plenty hot for -4F ambient tmeps. In fact my allison typically runs 100 degrees over ambient so your atf temp gauge should have barely come off the peg. that makes me think it is running a bit hot.

DEWFPO

(By the way, on a side note. Wind Chill has no effect on inanimate objects other than to cool them off faster. So even if your truck was sitting in a 100 mph wind, the temp of the parts never got below the lowest ambient temp (-4F) in this case. I hope that makes sense.)

Hope we can help.

fixed...A fuse, low battery from inside light staying on too llong. heated up underside of truck /engine with rv propane bottle and. Tube propane burner. Put truck battery on trikle charge....

"There are a few "quirks" with the Allison LCT 1000 that you should be aware of, especially col weather driving. The transmission has the ability to perform some tricks to help heat itself up when cold. Some of the strategies are- 49 degrees Fahrenheit or below the transmission will not go anywhere until the temperature sensor tells the TCM it is above this specification. A P0713 may also set-31 degrees to -49 degrees the transmission wil operate in Second Gear and Reverse only, this makes the transmission work harder and heat u makes the transmission work harder and heat u faster. There will also be no TCC From -13 degrees to -31 degrees you will have Second, Third and Reverse with no TCC engagement available From -4 degrees to -13 degrees there will be Firs through Fourth Gears and Reverse with no TCC From +71 degrees to - 5 degrees there will be First through Fifth Gears and Reverse but no TCC lock up

If you think the piston slap noise is carbon buildup, go to ebay and look for BG44k. Buy 2 cans and run them one at a time thru a full tank of gas. One after the other. If the noise is still there it's true PS. It probably will always be there on cold start.

Mark

Archived