EBCM Failure? - 2004 Yukon Denali XL

eaglesfan

Question

The dash lights are on for ABS and Traction Control. The message center says Service Stability System. I took this to a dealer for diagnosis. I was told that the EBCM and the brake control module needed to be replaced for ~$1700. They said that they two aluminum modules had corroded together and they could not be separated to diagnose further so both should be replaced. They also tallied up a list of $6500 of suggested repairs and told me I should consider getting rid of the truck. I really like the vehicle and intend to keep it going. The suggestions were extreme in all cases so I was skeptical of the diagnosis on the EBCM. (ie. Every minor leak on a hose called for a new hose, etc.). I pressed for the code that was given leading to the EBCM and was told the only code was C0110.

Here is where I am so far. I am looking for advice on how to proceed. The two modules in question appear immaculate. I have not tried to separate them but it would be difficult to believe that they are seized together as I was told. The only reason to separate them would to inspect the interior but it seems unlikely that the inside could look much worse than the exterior. I have located the associated ground points nearby, cleaned them all up and verified continuity to ground (I regret not looking for continuity before cleaning them). I also verified that I have power at the appropriate points on the connector. What I lack is a code reader that will read or reset the codes. I am reluctant to return to a dealer for this as part of a trial and error process. I also don't want to guess and replace expensive components as the dealers seem all too willing to do.

If the problem was a ground and fixed would the codes - indicators self reset (seems like the answer is no).

I have seen the service manual pages on this code and it doesn't seem to show me how to know which component is failing.

I'd buy a code reader for this if I knew what to look for and could get it for a reasonable price. Most inexpensive models only manage generic emissions codes. I know if I replace the EBCM a reset and tire size programming will be required.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

JTA

4 answers to this question

Here is what the dealer wrote down.

Service traction control light on ABS and service traction control light on

Caused by: Retrieved code C0110 pump module circuit malfunction found after diagnosing. Tried to remove BPMV from EBCM unable to proceed further. Modules seized together.

I have tried portions of the procedure pasted above though I am at a significant disadvantage without the ability to read or reset codes. Reading it more closely it appears that the modules must be separated to determine if the failure is the BPMV or the EBCM. Assuming I was able to do that it appears I still won't get much further without a code reader.

EBCM =electronic brake control module

you said the other is the "brake control module "

they are the same thing ....you mean the BPMV ? "brake pressure modulating valve "

let me do some digging ,,,,you double check your receipt from the store and provide what the tech wrote in the "correction " portion

every dealer uses "Complaint ,Cause and Correction "

so yes the BPMV is attached to the EBCM ,here is the code diag trouble chart

DTC C0110

Circuit Description

Ground is continuously supplied to the low side of the ABS pump motor. The EBCM activates the ABS pump by supplying battery voltage to the high side of the motor.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The EBCM detects an open pump motor circuit, a shorted pump motor, or a seized pump motor or ABS pump.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The Conditions for Setting the DTC are no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTCs function.

Diagnostic Aids

Separate the EBCM from the BPMV in order to inspect for corrosion or any other condition that may cause a poor connection at the pump motor connector. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement and Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections . If severe corrosion or other damage exists, the BPMV or the EBCM may need to be replaced.

Test Description

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

4 This step tests for high resistance in the battery positive voltage circuit by verifying that an excessive voltage drop does not occur in the circuit.

Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Antilock Brake System Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Antilock Brake System Connector End Views

Did you perform the ABS Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step?2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS

Does the DTC set?

Go to Step?3

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step?4

Go to Step?5

<a href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.do?laborOpCode=&docSyskey=825252&cellId=1517&pubObjSyskey=4755244&from=sm&pubCellSyskey=1077537#td04">4

Important: Using a test lamp other than that which is approved for performing diagnostic procedures on GM vehicles may cause an inaccurate result when performing this step. It is also imperative that the ground to which the test lamp is connected be clean and provide no resistance to battery ground. Refer to Troubleshooting with a Test Lamp in Wiring Systems for more information.

Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit to the ABS pump motor, and the pump motor ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step?7

Go to Step?6

Repair the high resistance in the battery positive voltage circuit. Ensure that total circuit resistance is not greater than the specified value. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

0.2??

Go to Step?13

Test the ABS motor ground circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step?13

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

2. Separate the EBCM from the BPMV. Refer to

Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement .

3. Connect a test lamp between the ABS pump motor power and ground circuits at the pump motor connector of the EBCM.

4. Turn ON the ignition.

5. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.

Does the DTC clear and then remain cleared while the test lamp is connected?

Go to Step?8

Go to Step?10

1. Select the VSES Special Functions menu on the scan tool.

2. Command the ABS Motor On.

Does the test lamp illuminate for 5?seconds and then turn off?

Go to Step?9

Go to Step?12

Inspect for poor connections at the pump motor connector.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step?13

Go to Step?11

Important: Following EBCM replacement, perform the set-up procedure for the EBCM and perform the Yaw Rate Reference Table Reset Procedure. Use the scan tool to perform the Tire Size Calibration procedure.

Replace the EBCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step?13

Replace the BPMV. Refer to Brake Pressure Modulator Valve Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step?13

Important: Following EBCM replacement, perform the set-up procedure for the EBCM and perform the Yaw Rate Reference Table Reset Procedure. Use the scan tool to perform the Tire Size Calibration procedure.

Replace the EBCM and the BPMV. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement and Brake Pressure Modulator Valve Replacement .

Did you complete the replacements?

Go to Step?13

1. Use the scan tool Clear All Class?2 DTCs function to clear all of the DTCs from all modules.

2. Turn OFF the ignition for 5?seconds.

3. Turn ON the ignition.

4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.

Does the DTC reset?

Archived