New Oil Requirements for 2014 Motors 0W-20

Why do people bitch about things like this?

Buy the bottles with oil in them, put them in the truck at your next oil change, drive, then repeat later. Are these bottles heavier? Do they have the spouts on the side? Is there something I am missing?

LOL...........nobody did any bitching in this thread, only you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
My 06 benz diesel runs ow-40. And must be mobile 1 or warranty is voided.

Auto manufacturers can NOT force you to use a specific brand product. It is illegal for them to do so, that's why there are laws to prevent that. If they say warranty is void because of oil brand they are breaking the law and are full of shit.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

Auto manufacturers can NOT force you to use a specific brand product. It is illegal for them to do so, that's why there are laws to prevent that. If they say warranty is void because of oil brand they are breaking the law and are full of shit.

^^^^^ This

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

True but if the oil has to meet a certain spec that only M1 meets then... You get the idea. Besides, even if you take an automaker to court and manage to win, you've lost. The amount of time wasted trying to deal with our justice system isn't worth the fight. M1 is a decent oil anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

True but if the oil has to meet a certain spec that only M1 meets then... You get the idea. Besides, even if you take an automaker to court and manage to win, you've lost. The amount of time wasted trying to deal with our justice system isn't worth the fight. M1 is a decent oil anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said (But never knew M1 met a spec that an oil from Castrol, Pennzoil,or even that Amsoil stuff didn't meet.)

Yea, that 0w stuff will really help the mpg on a truck that weighs almost 2 1/2 tons and is shaped like a refrigerator! LOL!

Its not your mileage that matters, its CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) that they are trying to meet. Even a 0.1% increase in CAFE could save GM millions of dollars in meeting mandated gov't mpg levels. 0.1% here, 0.5% there, etc, etc all add up.

You think 0W-20 is low, wait. A new 0W-16 is coming especially designed for fuel ecomony.

To the poster worried about blowing up if they ran 5w30 anyways.

We got like 3 dozen GMC/Chevy, maybe more. Ranging from 1/2 tons with v-6 and 1 tons with 6.0 v-8. Years ranging from 2001 to brand new, alot are brand new because we beat them pretty hard and the bodys just can't take it. Its a bulk coal terminal, imagine the enviroment.

That being said we only run 15w40 from bulk cube. I have only seen 1 motor blow up in 7 years. This was a 4.8L in a crew cab 4x4. Chances are it was from lack of maintenance and the oil probably turned to tar. These motors are just straight up beasts.

I don't think you will have fun claiming warranty but I am sure you can run 5w30 and it will be fine.

I know when we get the new trucks they will get what they always get, 15w40. We will see what happens I am sure they will do the same thing as the others, run like a top. Warranties arent used at my work anyways because the dealer just laughs when they see the condition of the trucks.

Me personally? I run what is required so when I upgrade I guess its new oil.

• 1 month later...

Archived