New Oil Requirements for 2014 Motors 0W-20

When I noticed that it takes 9qts (8.5 but I don't know anywhere you can buy half quarts) of $12qt full synthetic, I shat a unicorn.

I think that is what everyone is pissed about. Why a weight you can only get in full synth when 5w-20 is available far cheaper and unless you live north of the US/Canada border will likely never need?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been buying the Valvoline, because, as stated, it's not licensed and therefore way cheaper. If I ever see Wal-Mart brand 0W-20, I will buy it, depending on price. Haven't seen it yet down here in Texas.

People really its oil. Just buy what's recommended and deal with it.

You have trucks that have breaking rear windows, rear diff howling, seats that dance, a truck that vibrates like an old bias ply 1/2 million mile heap, trans that still shift as stupid as they did in 2007, options that blatantly don't work and now you have to complain about oil viscosity.... yeesh.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I have none of the problems, the trans shifted funny with 275/70-18's but with 265/65-18s back on it, it shifts so smooth I barely notice, stays right around 2200rpm unless I push the go pedal harder than I normally need. With a trailer I put it in tow mode and again fairly smooth shifts (it is firming the shifts to tow)

With the factory size tires it gets 23 Hwy and I can't tell when it swaps to V4 unless I look at the dash.

275/70's and it cuts mileage to 15mpg. AFM can't handle oversized tires with a 3.08 Ratio

• 3 weeks later...

Advanced Oiling System

The oiling system on the engines

incorporates a new variable displacement

two-stage vane-type oil pump

that enables more efficient oil delivery,

based on operating conditions. Its

dual-pressure control enables operation

at a very efficient oil pressure at

lower RPM, and then delivers higher

pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled

by the ECM, mounted to the oil

pump provides two-stage functionality.

The oil pump is mounted on the front

of the engine block and driven directly

by the crankshaft sprocket.

An oil passage at camshaft bearing

location permits oil flow into the

center of the camshaft. Oil enters the

camshaft, exiting at the front and into

the camshaft position (CMP) actuator

solenoid valve. The CMP valve spool

position is controlled by the ECM and

CMP magnet. When commanded by

the ECM, the CMP magnet repositions

the CMP actuator solenoid valve spool

directing pressurized oil into the CMP

actuator to control valve timing.

Oil pressure gauge needle oscillation

will occur due to the two-stage oil

pump self-test. The ECM will perform

a functionality test of the two-stage

oil pump after a cold soak, when the

engine is first started and the vehicle

is driven.

This functionality test will occur

three times in a short time span and

can be observed on the oil pressure

gauge as a brief increase (spike) in

the oil pressure gauge needle.

Additionally, at 3,500 RPM or greater,

the two-stage oil pump switches over

to high stage and the oil pressure

gauge needle will move to the high

position.

New Fluids

Engine oils meeting the requirements

of the vehicle will have the dexos 1

certification mark on the container.

SAE 5W-30 is the required viscosity

grade for the 4.3L engine and SAE

0W-20 is the required viscosity grade

for the 5.3L and 6.2L engines

After reading this, the oil required by GM should be used.

• 2 weeks later...
I have none of the problems, the trans shifted funny with 275/70-18's but with 265/65-18s back on it, it shifts so smooth I barely notice, stays right around 2200rpm unless I push the go pedal harder than I normally need. With a trailer I put it in tow mode and again fairly smooth shifts (it is firming the shifts to tow)

With the factory size tires it gets 23 Hwy and I can't tell when it swaps to V4 unless I look at the dash.

275/70's and it cuts mileage to 15mpg. AFM can't handle oversized tires with a 3.08 Ratio

You also have to take in account that the 275/70's are a 10ply tire. Mine are about 14 lbs each heavier then the stock. Add the 3.08 gears on that and yes your probably going to feel a difference. I have the 3.42 rear and have not felt any difference, other then braking distance.

Tapatalk via Moto X

Has anyone gone full synthetic with mobil 1 5w-30 like the camaro's are running?

thoughts from gm on that?

Why would you want to go away from what GM recommends? Especially with an entirely new oil system design. Could you run 5w-30, probably but it also might cause some issues. I guess some out there will use it and then we will find out when they post either good or bad. I would just stick to 0w-20.

I have ran a 5w-20 in my old 2002 5.3 and it worked just as well as 5w-30 according to my UOA's.

You also have to take in account that the 275/70's are a 10ply tire. Mine are about 14 lbs each heavier then the stock. Add the 3.08 gears on that and yes your probably going to feel a difference. I have the 3.42 rear and have not felt any difference, other then braking distance.

Tapatalk via Moto X

The BFGs are all 10ply no matter what size.

I didn't put factory tires back on just factory size.

However, I have had the truck at the tire shop they've put 6 sets on trying to get them to valence. From 65mph on they VIBRATE with varying results from each set/combination.

Love the capabilities of the tires( I was able to get around with no issues in the ice feat we had down here week back) but REALLY can't take the out of balance ride of them over 70mph.

Why would you want to go away from what GM recommends? Especially with an entirely new oil system design. Could you run 5w-30, probably but it also might cause some issues. I guess some out there will use it and then we will find out when they post either good or bad. I would just stick to 0w-20.

I have ran a 5w-20 in my old 2002 5.3 and it worked just as well as 5w-30 according to my UOA's.

because the exact same motor that is in my camaro that is going to be in my truck has run 5w-30 mobile one full synthetic and is the recommended option from GM.. And because I would rather go full synthetic than a blend like the dexos 0w 20, its not even the weight issue its more synthetic vs blend for me

You can get a good quality Dexos oil at Walmart in a 5-Gallon jug for less than 20 bucks! WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU NOT BUY THE DEXOS LABEL FOR LESS THAN TWENTY BUCKS?

Heck, if I could get 5 gallons of dexos1 oil for under $20, I would be buying all that I could and reselling it and make a killing. It has been a long time since I have seen a quart of oil for $1.00 at a regular price and not something on clearance.

because the exact same motor that is in my camaro that is going to be in my truck has run 5w-30 mobile one full synthetic and is the recommended option from GM.. And because I would rather go full synthetic than a blend like the dexos 0w 20, its not even the weight issue its more synthetic vs blend for me

OK, after I posted I went back through the thread and missed that you where getting the V6. That makes sense. You can run a full synthetic, but it will only save you money if you extend your drains. Otherwise a dexos1 5w-30 blend will serve just as well. To really tell if you are getting your money worth, a used oil analysis is the way to go. Then you know exactly how far you can extend your oil changes. The OLM is a good guide but I have seen some that use it and had the oil tested and the oil was shot and not protecting like it should, the oil went way past the mileage of protection.

OK, after I posted I went back through the thread and missed that you where getting the V6. That makes sense. You can run a full synthetic, but it will only save you money if you extend your drains. Otherwise a dexos1 5w-30 blend will serve just as well. To really tell if you are getting your money worth, a used oil analysis is the way to go. Then you know exactly how far you can extend your oil changes. The OLM is a good guide but I have seen some that use it and had the oil tested and the oil was shot and not protecting like it should, the oil went way past the mileage of protection.

I am getting the 6.2.. the same as in my camaro which runs the 5w-30 FULL synthetic vs the 0w-20 sythetic blend dexos that the trucks are requiring..

I wasnt really questioning the weight as I know they did that for MPG alone, I am more questioning why go to a blend vs a full synthetic?

after doing some quick research... Mobile1 has a dexos1 approved 0w-20 FULL synthetic oil vs blend. This is what I plan to run
wal mart has 5 quart bottles for $25.. not a bad price for full synthetic. Ac delco dexos is a blend.. id rather go full synthetic.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-20.aspx

OK- the price has gone up-21.00 for this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-State-Q-Horsepower-Full-Synthetic-5W20-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/14958323?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

The 5W/30 is the same price.

OK- the price has gone up-21.00 for this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dexos-Motor-Oil-5W30-5-qt/23848111

no price listed on the site for me says only avail in store, however thats 5w-30, which isnt what the new trucks are calling for... but if its 21, thats not a bad option for those needing the 5w-30. thats not a bad price for blended, but for 4 bucks more, I get full synthetic? Im going with full...

Archived