New Oil Requirements for 2014 Motors 0W-20

From what I remember hearing that only the V8's require this type of oil, not sure what the new V6 calls for still 5w30 or 5w20. I see no problem with the new 0w20 these new engines take. Great cold start characteristics for cold climates and with the tighter tolerances these new engines have now, also helps with fuel economy. I can see the call for new oil grades, 10w30 a thing of the past and 5w30 will to in tens years give or take. Heck only my lawn equipment call for 10w30 now. My 2011 4.3L V6 calls for 5w30 Dexos 1 oil. I use what ever grade the engine calls for and sleep just fine. In my truck I use Mobil 1 5w30 oil and filter and I'm happy.

I know the V8's will be 8 quarts and the V6 will hold 6 quarts.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True but if the oil has to meet a certain spec that only M1 meets then... You get the idea. Besides, even if you take an automaker to court and manage to win, you've lost. The amount of time wasted trying to deal with our justice system isn't worth the fight. M1 is a decent oil anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its nothing but tactic calculated to create uncertainty and fear in the consuming public to the point that many consumers feel they are at risk when using anything but OEM-branded lubricants.

GM only recommends what makes them money. They want a monopoly on what you buy for your vehicles and their owners manuals and propaganda are designed to affect that end. They cannot force you to buy something branded by them (GM) that helps them make money. It is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own lubricant.

True but if the oil has to meet a certain spec that only M1 meets then... You get the idea. Besides, even if you take an automaker to court and manage to win, you've lost. The amount of time wasted trying to deal with our justice system isn't worth the fight. M1 is a decent oil anyhow.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIts nothing but tactic calculated to create uncertainty and fear in the consuming public to the point that many consumers feel they are at risk when using anything but OEM-branded lubricants.GM only recommends what makes them money. They want a monopoly on what you buy for your vehicles and their owners manuals and propaganda are designed to affect that end. They cannot force you to buy something branded by them (GM) that helps them make money. It is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own lubricant.

Except it isn't GM-branded oil. Dexos is a standard, available from all the major oil brands. Their requiring Dexos is no different than having a minimum UPI grade or whatever it is called. And like I said, the cost of taking something like this to court is a waste of time- there are so many choices of approved oil there is literally no ground to stand on as to not use it. Brands do this sort of thing all the time and it may not technically be legal but they do it because they can. You win legal cases by having the better legal counsel, being in the right often has little to do with it and the automaker has better lawyers than any of us.

• 5 weeks later...

Its nothing but tactic calculated to create uncertainty and fear in the consuming public to the point that many consumers feel they are at risk when using anything but OEM-branded lubricants.

GM only recommends what makes them money. They want a monopoly on what you buy for your vehicles and their owners manuals and propaganda are designed to affect that end. They cannot force you to buy something branded by them (GM) that helps them make money. It is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own lubricant.

I think you may be taking the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and adding some of your interpretation to it. Or you are talking about some of the anti-monopoly/anti-trust laws. Both of those would only be applicable in the states, and I am not certain the anti-monopoly laws are entirely federal.

GM's Dexos specs are their way around these laws. Their wanting oil companies to pay them a royalty just to be able to advertise that it passed GM's testing as opposed to just merely meeting their specs, is real close to violating anti-trust laws.

If MB can prove that the non-mobile1 oil that the customer was using caused his engine to fail, they can deny warranty according to Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. By them specifying they are simply warning consumers that warranty will not be denied if you use mobile 1, but, it may be denied if you don't use it. They need only prove the oil caused the failure.

Something that needs to be better explained is the viscosity rating. A 0w20 oil means the oil will be a 0 viscosity when cold. 0w oil is tested at -30C degrees, whereas the 20 part is tested at 100C degrees. Once the engine is at operating temps, the oil has a viscosity of 20. The only time it is a 0w is on a -30C cold start. Any higher temp will have a higher viscosity. BTW, the "w" in the viscosity means "winter", not "weight".

Something that needs to be better explained is the viscosity rating. A 0w20 oil means the oil will be a 0 viscosity when cold. 0w oil is tested at -30C degrees, whereas the 20 part is tested at 100C degrees. Once the engine is at operating temps, the oil has a viscosity of 20. The only time it is a 0w is on a -30C cold start. Any higher temp will have a higher viscosity. BTW, the "w" in the viscosity means "winter", not "weight".

Excellent explanation! Seems like not everyone understands the oil classification system and thinks the lighter weight oils are somehow going to offer less protection.

• 3 months later...

Except it isn't GM-branded oil. Dexos is a standard, available from all the major oil brands. Their requiring Dexos is no different than having a minimum UPI grade or whatever it is called. And like I said, the cost of taking something like this to court is a waste of time- there are so many choices of approved oil there is literally no ground to stand on as to not use it. Brands do this sort of thing all the time and it may not technically be legal but they do it because they can. You win legal cases by having the better legal counsel, being in the right often has little to do with it and the automaker has better lawyers than any of us.

The United States Code found at 15 U.S.C. 2301 Section 2302© states: "No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name. 15 U.S.C. 2302©."

Dexos1 and the dexos logo are indeed a GM trade name and it falls within this law. Its a money making scheme developed by GM around the dexos name.

Go tell this guy he cannot use non-dexos oil in his 87 dealerships which a vast majority are GM. Last time I looked (yesterday) Valvoline is NOT dexos certified.

Valvoline to partner with Hendrick Motorsports

The Official Lubricants Partner of Hendrick Motorsports beginning in 2014, the Valvoline brand will be featured as a major associate sponsor of the teams full stable of Chevrolet SS race cars through the 2017 NASCAR campaign. The company will utilize Sprint Cup Series drivers Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. as spokespeople to promote Valvoline premium motor oil products and services.

In addition, Valvoline will be the preferred oil poured by Hendrick Motorsports sister company, Hendrick Automotive Group, which operates 87 auto dealerships across the United States. The dealerships also will use Valvoline professional series, a line of fuel system preventive maintenance products that increase fuel economy and drivability, and Valvoline antifreeze. Both product lines contain patented technology that provides exceptional performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people bitch about things like this?

Buy the bottles with oil in them, put them in the truck at your next oil change, drive, then repeat later. Are these bottles heavier? Do they have the spouts on the side? Is there something I am missing?

Some people think they know more about oil selection (and journal bearing design) than the engineers that developed these new engines.

Some people think they know more about oil selection (and journal bearing design) than the engineers that developed these new engines.

Seems like every time I have to deal with an engineer at my job they have no clue about what their dealing with...

People really its oil. Just buy what's recommended and deal with it.

You have trucks that have breaking rear windows, rear diff howling, seats that dance, a truck that vibrates like an old bias ply 1/2 million mile heap, trans that still shift as stupid as they did in 2007, options that blatantly don't work and now you have to complain about oil viscosity.... yeesh.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dexos had two goals I believe someone correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading somewhere where the spec was designed to help with valve guides in DI engines, and to facilitate less friction of the piston skirt on the higher compression engines.

While in design the Dexos spec shot for exceeding GF-5 specs for aeration, deposites, and chemical properties. I forget but to be certified is not just paying GM to label your oil it has to go through a rigorous test with so many engines. I forget the number but I know it is on the net somewhere.

The next generation of Dexos is supposed to appear sometime in 2015 according to GMs original press release and is supposed to help with meeting EPA fuel requirements. While I believe the current weight is about meeting those goals from what I understand future engines may see that go to a 0W-15 or lower spec.

Archived