2008+ GM Sierra/Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L Diesel - Fuel Milage - MPG

Nvd

I am curious to see what you guys with the 2500 HD 6.6l diesel are getting for MPG or L/100km

I own a 2010 GMC Sierra Denali w/6.2l but for the next truck I'd like the 2500 HD Diesel!! Now I know diesels are more money to buy in the beginning but I'm just curious to see what you guys are getting. Forget the cost difference strickly looking at MPG or L/100km!

Thanks

2013 2500 Crew ab long box 6.6 Duamax

17-21 on the highway @ 70-75 mph

city is more like 13-15 (lots of stop lights)

towing is 12-14 towing a loaded toy hauler about 9000#

My former 2010 1500 5.3 was getting slightly less on hwy and city and more like 7-10 towing

Also keep in mind that this time of year Diesel is about $.50-$.60 more then regular unleaded in the northwest.

Also keep in mind that this time of year Diesel is about $.50-$.60 more then regular unleaded in the northwest.

I think its that way everywhere. I know it is here. Even in the summer its $40 or more difference.

The op has a 6.2L so he is paying for premium now, or at least should be, so the price in fuel would be +/- 10 cents depending on the fuel stop. I know your looking at the Dmax but I avg. 15 with my Cummins and I don't need that DEF crap, seems to be the avg. of all the diesels out there.

I pull a 18ft landscape trailer in the city loaded every day. I average 11.5 with the trailer in the city. Better than my 1500 silverado I averaged 9 to 10 with it. Seems most weeks IM spending 75 to a 100 less on fuel with the diesel the i was with my gasser.

I have 6 inch lift on 35's and 20's on an 07.5 LMM. Dpf deleted, egr deleted, lift pump, modded to the hills. On my 650hp tune running 60 pounds of boost I can get 17-18mpg @ 70 mph on a steady flat road with cruise on. IF and I emphasize IF I can keep my foot out of it :-D

I have 6 inch lift on 35's and 20's on an 07.5 LMM. Dpf deleted, egr deleted, lift pump, modded to the hills. On my 650hp tune running 60 pounds of boost I can get 17-18mpg @ 70 mph on a steady flat road with cruise on. IF and I emphasize IF I can keep my foot out of it :-D

Is that the lie-o-meter or hand calculated? I just can't see those numbers on something so tall with mud tires, with that heavy a$$ bumper.

Is that the lie-o-meter or hand calculated? I just can't see those numbers on something so tall with mud tires, with that heavy a$$ bumper.

By hand. That's on the highway only tho, I actually just drove it 2800kms too 2 weeks ago and calculated 3 times. Was always between 17-18 mpg. The hotter the tune the better the mileage, I get the best mileage on the highest HP tune because all the advance timing. Egr delete, straight pipe, lift pump and I'm using Idaho rob tuning and twin turbos help fuel mileage big time. The engine doesn't have to work as hard...BUT around town starting and going kills the mileage. Id say city driving I get 12-13...on the highway it ain't that bad.

My buddies lb7 gets 21 on the highway with an s366 turbo...

Pulled an 8000# TT with a 2010 Silverado 6.2. Plenty of HP not so much of torque, problem was up hills, even moderate grades. It downshifted enough to kill the mileage into the 8's. Straight and level w/no wind was fine, into the 10's. Downhill was virtually the same: had to downshift or use tow-haul to limit braking but at the cost of mileage.

Have since bought a 2012 Sierra Duramax...big difference! Same TT but mileage when new in the 12's. Local driving (no TT) about 75/25 hwy/town initial mileage low 14's. With 10k now getting low 16's. I'm intentionally not being exact because of the disparity of DIC vs. hand calculation of which I have used both. The DIC is usually about .5 mpg higher than hand calculation. My theory is that is due to the regeneration process but of course don't know for sure.

The combination of the DMAX/Allison eliminates the need for excessive downshifting and coupled with the exhaust brake limits excessive braking downhill. For instance; have descended the Grapevine in S. Calif. with the trailer setting the cruise at 55, did not go over 60 without touching the brake, it would automatically downshift once and hold the speed with the exhaust brake.

Guess you can tell I'm pretty stoked about this truck!

My 08 truck below

in the city I get about 13-14 mpg

On the highway 65-70 mph approx 18-20 mpg -not towing in the blue ridge mountains and flat areas.

My truck is mechanically stock from the factory.

I am curious to see what you guys with the 2500 HD 6.6l diesel are getting for MPG or L/100km

I own a 2010 GMC Sierra Denali w/6.2l but for the next truck I'd like the 2500 HD Diesel!! Now I know diesels are more money to buy in the beginning but I'm just curious to see what you guys are getting. Forget the cost difference strickly looking at MPG or L/100km!

Thanks

What mpg city and highway were you getting with your 6.2? Since you have the Denali it must be AWD?

What mpg city and highway were you getting with your 6.2? Since you have the Denali it must be AWD?

Well, I have only owned it for a little over 3 months, and I want to see the difference between 87 and 91. I have spoke to a lot of ppl with the 6.2 and they have been running 87 since new and no issues. so for about the past month it shows 14.5l/100km. I drive about 70% rural and 30% city. though keep in mind. i drive to and from work which is 2km from my house, this kills my fuel milage bc the trucks still cold.

When i first got the truck at 110km/h on hwy it would read around 11-12l/100km. and around 85km/h it would be even less depending on plane of the road. (this is right after resetting the dic, and on cruise control)

the other week we drove to toronto and home which is about 3 hours on the highway in total and i dropped about .5l/100km. Then when we got home i filled it up and it read 728km until empty. But after being back in my normal routine driving it has dropped.

Id easily get on avg atleast 600-650km/tank on 87 in winter. id guess in the summer I should get close to 700km/tank but i will see.

I am going to continue to run 87 octane until about june/july, then I am going to drive for another 7+months on 91 only. I will then know forsure what the difference fuel milage will be with respect to my driving. I then can compare the cost difference vs how much more fuel milage I will gain.

I just did a oil change tonight with mobil 1 5w30 and mobil 1 filter, i wonder if this would help in anyway. Oh I also have a k&n drop in air filter, and dont have a heavy foot, usally around 5-10km over limit.

Archived