Broken exhaust manifold bolts Driverside

Read lots on this topic, is it an old tag in this forum?

I just heard the ticking on cold engine start-up, popped open the hood and found exhaust leak.

6.0L gasser 2008

I have warranty still.

But the down time like a diesel,I am not looking forward too.

Scooby

I went through this several years ago. I found it rather ironic that the dealer refused to acknowledge the problem, BUT had all the necessary (revised) items in stock. If there wasn't a problem, then why did I get new (different) bolts?

BTW, that same trip to the dealer was to acquire a dipstick tube (that rots in half and must be removed before the passenger exhaust manifold), donut gaskets for the manifolds, and a starter that the binding post broke off of during removal.

This should be tagged to the "That is Normal" thread for older trucks. I replaced the brake lines on the 1963 Olds I bought for peace of mind. I replaced them on my Chevy truck that's only 10yrs. old BECAUSE I HAD TO.

But, I'm not bitter.....

Had one break off on the rear pass. side on the 6.0 2000 I had. I heated the other bolts, took them out removed the manifold. Then used a right angle Makita drill with a left hand drill bit heated the bolt which was broke off flush with the head drilled the bolt. Then used a easy out to back the bolt out. Replaced everything with new upgraded bolts and gaskets. Took about 3.5 hours. That was 6 years ago still good when I traded it 6 months ago. Also had to do the rear brake line about 2 years ago because it rusted out.

• 1 month later...

Have appointment to drop of truck at dealership on tuesday. They are going to pull the head and put on bench to get it out.

Just now wondering if they do an oil change, antifreeze ? if they become contaminated.

Scooby

A couple of points: First off, the bolts break due to fatigue, caused by heat expansion. It's not so much a mileage issue, but how many times the engine heat cycles (goes from cold to hot). I work for a large fleet, and the trucks that are used in stop-and-go service are more likely to break exhaust manifold bolts that those that are operated continuously at highway speeds throughout their shift. GM has changed the bolts at least twice since the LS engines came out (in the trucks anyway) and I have not seen the latest design bolts (I think the part # is 11518860) break yet. ARP offers some extra strong exhaust manifold bolts for LS engines in both alloy and stainless. I have not used them yet, but ARP has a very good reputation, so that might be another way to go. I am going to try replacing the bolts at 48,000 miles on units I have that see excessive stop-and-go sevice and see if that makes a difference.

Look at the bright side- the Ford 4.6L, 5.4L, and 6.8L use small studs and nuts on their exhaust manifolds. They are even more prone to breakage than the LS bolts and they are more difficult to try to replace!

Had the same happen a couple years ago on my '04 HD. Had the local performance shop remove the broken bolts by welding a nut to piece left in the head then turn it out. He used a 110V portable wire welder. I removed the front wheels, inner fender wells and the exhaust manifolds at the shop where I work then he brought over his welder. He used a solid core wire with shielding gas, flux core wire is not strong enough. Had 2 bolts broke off on each side. The 2 on one side were next to each other and caused an exhaust leak. Broke off 1 more removing the manifolds. So for removing 5 broken bolts and oh yes the rusted dipstick tube that broke off at the block, he charged me $200.00. He has done several for the local Chevy dealer also.

Have appointment to drop of truck at dealership on tuesday. They are going to pull the head and put on bench to get it out.

Just now wondering if they do an oil change, antifreeze ? if they become contaminated.

Scooby

Got Truck back today, everything fixed and dealer hours were 2.5 + gasket,new bolts.

But they wanted to charge me for a set of wires(spark). 290.00 for (8)

They put it all back together and the engine backfired, etc. thus they broke the wires when they took them of the plugs.

I said no it is warranty work and then they called me back to say they will replace the wires (4) for free.

I told them GM should make a better wire if they are limited to only taking them off once can damage them !!!

I got my monies(warranty) worth Good Job GM !!!

Scooby

sounds crazy but if you just started the truck the bolts will expand and contract on their own.

The purpose of using heat to extract is to get the surrounding metal to expand, leaving the bolt loose. if you run the engine, the bolts expand with the head, which leaves you with bolts that are equally tight, if not tighter. (depending on the properties of the metal)

Archived