1 reply to this topic

#1 RatsAzz

RatsAzz

Enthusiast

• 3 posts
  • Name:Shari Rae
  • Drives:1996 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Ok, so I know my next step in getting my Baby running after 5 years is to test fuel pressure. My question is how do I do this? I know I need a fuel pressure gauge... what I need to know is where do i test it? I've looked for how-tos and cannot find specific to my year information. Everything I've read shows how-to, but the information doesn't match up to what I see under the hood.

I don't really want to sound like an idiot... I've just never worked on fuel injected vehicles, much less a Vortec.

And since we're on the subject, if fuel pressure is off, I need to next change fuel filter, correct? Wanna add on the step-by-step for this as well, please? :)

Thanks in Advance!

RatsAzz

1996 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.7L ...(more details to come, as I figure them out!!)

#2 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,785 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Since it has been sitting, you might listen for the fuel pump to prime when you "key on". It could be shot.  I would change the FF anyway

Testing port should be at the rear of engine on the fuel line. Will have a screw off cap on a schrader valve, attach pressure gauge there

Central SFI 60-66 psi    key on engine off

Check the FPR. Remove the vacuum tube at the Fuel pressure reg and check for the presence of fuel. replace if found

13120_zps0cbd4755.gif

(1) Fuel Pressure Regulator Assembly (2) Fuel
Meter Body (3) Fuel Line (4) Fuel Injector Assembly (5) Poppet Nozzle (6) Fuel Pressure Regulator Assembly
Retainer

The fuel meter body assembly

is mounted to the lower portion of the intake manifold.

Edited by txab, 27 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users