spark plugs on gmc yukon xl 1500

We are discussing plugs. And I stated I liked the iridium's. They never gave me any issues. They came factory in the 4.8 and the 6.0. But if hers came with platinum plugs I would go platinum or iridium

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not about taking a joke. I've been in the hospital all weekend. Still am in the hospital.

no it was running fine, the check engine light came on and took it to auto zone and they hooked it up and said it needed a tune up. so we changed the plugs and boots.

There is no code for "needs a tune-up". As stated go back and check all work performed making sure the plug wires are properly seated. Make sure you haven't knocked loose or damaged wiring or connectors. Make sure you have reconnected anything you disconnected I'd take a pass on Motorcraft plugs as well. NGK, AC Delco, even Denso makes a good plug. Don't think I saw what mileage you're at, but I'd not spend the $$ on Iridium. Stay Platinum or lower.

It would be nice to know the code given. If it's p0300, random misfire, there are plenty of things besides plugs that can throw that code. Did you disconnect the MAF at any point or remove and replace the intake tube? Disconnect the battery?

After whatever you do with plugs and wires the second time around, and if the problem still exists, start checking fuel filter, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator and intake gaskets

Gap should be .035. Sent from an ice cream sammich.

Jenna, I find nothing to support the .035 gap. Are you suggesting that based on Black Bear's experience?

If the code was the P0300 there are a lot of things that will pop that code. In my latest cases on the G6 and my Sierra, a bad catalytic converter causes it

I would have to dig it up, but when I had my 04, there was a bulletin out staying that the gaps had been put out incorrectly. Folks were told .040, but was supposed to be .035.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

I would have to dig it up, but when I had my 04, there was a bulletin out staying that the gaps had been put out incorrectly. Folks were told .040, but was supposed to be .035.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

I know they dropped from the suggested .060 to .040, never have seen a TSB for the .035

Service Information 2000 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra,

Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document

ID: 1903277

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#03-06-04-060A: Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping - (Feb 12, 2007)

Subject: Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping

Models: 2004 Buick Rainier

2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

2004 Cadillac CTS-V

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer

1999-2004 GMC Sierra

2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali

2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2004 Pontiac GTO

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Attention:

Please disregard the Set Gap Per Vehicle Specification statement on the

side of an ACDelco® Iridium Spark Plug Box. The statement will be

removed from the boxes in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This

bulletin is being revised to bring attention to the Set Gap Per Vehicle

Specification on the ACDelco® Iridium Spark Plug Boxes. Please discard

Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-060 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion

System).

A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The

new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip.

Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also

changed.

• The new spark plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-985, is gapped to 1.01 mm (0.040 in) when the spark plug is made.

Plug # has changed from 41-985 to 41-110

Notice:

The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be

changed or damage to the spark plug may result. Any new spark plug found

to not be properly gapped should not be used.

GM

bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a

"do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of

conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information

that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained

technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how

to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT

assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle

will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether

your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Interesting. I installed the NGK TR55's in my 02 and gapped them at .040 per Terry Dyson. He is the one I send my used oil to get analyzed. This was back before the TSB or any suggestion came out. He suggested it due to the many UOA that he had received on this particular application and how the spark plug gap affected the UOA.

Interesting. I installed the NGK TR55's in my 02 and gapped them at .040 per Terry Dyson. He is the one I send my used oil to get analyzed. This was back before the TSB or any suggestion came out. He suggested it due to the many UOA that he had received on this particular application and how the spark plug gap affected the UOA.

That's my choice as well.....

What a coincidence. I just installed a new set of NGK iridiums Saturday. I'm at 106,662 miles and the plugs that came out were factory originals, still in decent shape and running good. I figured at this rate I'll probably change them out twice more in the life of the truck. I can live with that. (I'm hoping to go 400,000 miles. )

I'm the one with the issue from the other thread and I have to agree, double check the plugs and wires if its running worse than before.

The reason I say this is because looking back on it, I may have been the actual cause for two loose spark plugs. I get a little paranoid about stripping threads in an aluminum block and as soon as the plugs tightened up, I stopped when it may have just been a little bit of dirt on the threads.

Depending on where you are and if a code is still on, I usually go to oreillys to read codes. Normally if the vehicle is in the parking lot you hand over an ID and check it yourself as they are supposed to be hands off in case of a screw up. Although, I don't know how you could mess anything up besides clearing the code before you get a chance to see what it was. It doesn't actually change any vehicle parameters.

Archived