spark plugs on gmc yukon xl 1500

my husband just changed the spark plugs and boots in my gmc yukon xl and now when i try to go drive it when i stop it runs poorly and then looses power and shuts off. the gap that advanced told me to use .040 and that is what i used.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaps should have been set from the manufacturer. If they are iridium plugs you aren't supposed to re-gap them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

no it was running fine, the check engine light came on and took it to auto zone and they hooked it up and said it needed a tune up. so we changed the plugs and boots.

Double check all connections. Did you go cheap on plugs and wires?

they never told me the code and it is a 2003 5.3 liter and not for sure on the static shock. i just have never been shocked until after the change

Cloth seats? Been running the heater lately? I'm not far from Baton Rouge and I know how cold it was this weekend.

they never told me the code and it is a 2003 5.3 liter and not for sure on the static shock. i just have never been shocked until after the change

Cloth seats? Been running the heater lately? I'm not far from Baton Rouge and I know how cold it was this weekend.

03 came with platinum plugs but I think GM prefers people to go with Iridium on 03's when change is necessary. I use AC Delco Iridium plugs. I had them on my 4.8 and on the 6.0. Also used MSD wires.

That 5.3L will run just fine w/ copper core spark plugs.....tell you husband to check all of the spark plug wires again, remove them and carefully install them. We just had another thread recently w/ a guy having the same type of problem because he didn't install the wires properly. You need to go back to AZ and find out what code they found as well, as far as I know AZ will not erase codes. So much for the static shock theory, won't happen w/ leather.

Archived