Disable AFM without Tuning

Another update on my 2014 Sierra. After the dealership cleared the error codes, I drove for about 1500 miles without the Range, no problems and got decent mileage. Then I plugged the Range back in, and 300 miles later I am getting the engine error codes again. I think I was getting less mileage, but inconclusive since it didn't get enough driving before the error codes appeared and I have unplugged the Range. So I conclude it has an issue with the new engine and I won't be using it. Anybody want to make an offer on my module?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update on my 2014 Sierra. After the dealership cleared the error codes, I drove for about 1500 miles without the Range, no problems and got decent mileage. Then I plugged the Range back in, and 300 miles later I am getting the engine error codes again. I think I was getting less mileage, but inconclusive since it didn't get enough driving before the error codes appeared and I have unplugged the Range. So I conclude it has an issue with the new engine and I won't be using it. Anybody want to make an offer on my module?

Hey Pete:

We haven't released support for the 2014s yet. That should happen in a couple weeks. Let's change you out of your module.

Adam

Hey Pete:

We haven't released support for the 2014s yet. That should happen in a couple weeks. Let's change you out of your module.

Adam

I would really love an update on the 2014's. Was all set to buy one and then I read these last few posts. Adam can you send me an email when its okay to use this on the new trucks?

Hi Adam

I was wondering if you ship to Canada? and if there are any current deals

I am interested in getting the Range disabler. I just got my 2009 Sierra back from the dealership... after they replaced pistons, rings and lifters.

I am basically starting from scratch... so I want to see if the disabler will cure my oil consumption issues, and prevent pistons & rings from being gummed up... plus experience everybodys enthusiatic response to full v8 power :)

dave

Best price and place to buy the range AFM Disabler is from autoanything. It list's for the $199 price but you can get it for 15% off and get it delivered for $169.

Just go to their web page, start a chat with customer service and ask for the best price and they will give you the discount.

Best price and place to buy the range AFM Disabler is from autoanything. It list's for the $199 price but you can get it for 15% off and get it delivered for $169.

Just go to their web page, start a chat with customer service and ask for the best price and they will give you the discount.

I saw Autoanything's pricing other day. but it states that the product does not ship to canada. it also states that the product is currently unavailable.

dave

I wasn't aware that AA didn't ship to Canada. They should even if they have to charge a few extra $$ for shipping. And, I have heard that the Range AFM disable is out of stock all over the place. I guess the word is getting out. The OP states that his will not work on his 2014, maybe he will be willing to part with his as long as he hasn't worked a deal with Range for the exchange for a 2014 model when they are available.

Just to clarify... AA states that it does not ship the Range module to Canada. They ship everything else.

Hopefully, Range modules are not out of stock. I was waiting to hear back from Adam @ Range... before ordering directly from Range

I sent PMs to two of the guys with 2014 trucks. I guess it depends what type of exchange Range is willing to offer.

I have used the Range Chip in my 2011' Silverado since my last oil change and my gas mileage has not dropped any and my oil consumption stopped entirely during this 3,100 mile period.

The only noticeable drawback to using this chip is that OnStar is unable to perform the monthly diagnostic report on my truck with this chip installed. I noticed this last month when I failed to receive my monthly email around the middle of the month from OnStar. When I logged onto my online OnStar account to look at the last diagnostic report I found a message that "OnStar was unable to run the monthly diagnostic report because an aftermarket device was plugged into my truck".

This month I simply unplugged the chip from the 8th though the 12th then I went back and logged onto my OnStar account and found a complete diagnostic report for all systems on my truck.

It is my understanding that all other OnStar functions are not effected by having the chip installed.

Am I sold on the device? Absolutely. its nice not to have to add oil in between oil changes and not having to live with those rough V4 transitions is a real blessing.

• 1 month later...

If I unplugged the Range and took the truck in for service would the dealer or the dealers computer know that my truck had been running in V8 mode only and not switching back and forth between 4 and 8 cylinder mode?

Now the next question in your line of thought should be, "what are they going to do with that information"? I would say, that it means nothing. For instance, what about those of us that live rural, run primarily hilly two lane and gravel roads, primarily only run in manual mode and rarely ever go beyond M5? We would have virtually no instances of the AFM kicking in and going to 4 cylinder mode. And that is with no tune, and no Range device. Does that mean then that we would be voiding the warranty? Hardly. So, in essence, the number of times, or the lack thereof, of the AFM shutting down cylinders means absolutely nothing even if they wanted to see the data. Therefore, using the Range device would not trigger any eye brow raising by the dealer that the engine had hardly, if ever, gone into 4 cylinder mode.

There is no OEM standard, that the AFM should shut down cylinders some percentage of time, since there is no standard driving situation across the board. It is simply a feature that is enabled when certain conditions are met. If the conditions are not met, then no activation. Basically, using a Range device to deactivate the AFM simply is eliminating the conditions that would enable AFM activation. No harm, no foul.

• 2 months later...

My work truck is an 08 Sierra with the aluminum AFM 5.3. AFM lifter spun in the tray and took out the cam. I want to put an L33 non-AFM cam lifter set along with the valley tray and oil pump. With the AFM unplugged I am sure my cel will light up and with other people driving it I would rather there be no light, warranty is done anyway.

So my question for Adam is... Will this range device work in my circumstance?

I doubt it. You'll need to have AFM turned off with a custom tune as all the Range device does is prevent AFM from turning on. Missing parts will likely still trigger a light regardless of if this were installed.

Archived