Disable AFM without Tuning

Yes. We're selling it right now. $199.

We're anti-tune now too. :)

Adam

Anti-Tune??

Doesn't your product "tune" (AKA: optimized, not running on factory parameters) the OEM configuration to keep AFM active longer???? :banghead: No matter how you word it, the devices you sell do in fact tune the vehicle.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anti-Tune??

Doesn't your product "tune" (AKA: optimized, not running on factory parameters) the OEM configuration to keep AFM active longer???? :banghead: No matter how you word it, the devices you sell do in fact tune the vehicle.

Black:

I just responded to another post by you - but I'll write it here as well. This product does not tune your vehicle. We do not write over the factory calibration (which is what all of the tuner companies do). We send messages over the CAN BUS that direct the operation of the AFM system. No one has ever done this before.

When Ken & I were at Edge Products, we experimented with this functionality with nitrous controllers. When we left there - we hooked up with one of the engineers who pioneered cylinder deactivation. Through a combination of these talents - we were able to develop a technology that did not overwrite the factory calibration and leaves no footprint for dealers.

After dealing with voided warranties my entire career - I specifically wanted to avoid tuning. That is why we started Range.

Best,

Adam

As with everything-someone comes along and builds a better mousetrap. Probably 90% of those who buy a "tune" do it to disable the AFM. Now, Adam has developed a product that doesn't overwrite the software, or leaves a foot print on the ECM.

I see those who have already bought a tune defending their purchase, and that's OK. But if this Range device does indeed work as promised, that is disables the AFM and is undetectable, then it's a wake up call for the "tuners".

That's what competition is all about.

Some Tuners claim not to leave a footprint-but others have stated GM can tell when the "last event" was on your ECM.

It';s far too costly to fight GM over a voided warranty issue.

Adam, I am interested in hearing from you if IYHO if GM can tell an "event" took place even if the factory tune was reinstalled before taking your truck in to the dealer for any issues.

CKNSLS:

Great question. Here is the deal. On their factory scan tool - dealers can see that the vehicle has been reflashed, even if it has been returned to stock. With some manufacturers - they can see if the vehicle has been flashed with a calibration that does not match the factory code. With the Range product - there is no reflashing, or "event" in your words. We discovered a way to talk to the AFM system without reprogramming.

Not necessarily a better mousetrap if you want the features of a tuner - but f you just want to turn off AFM, no doubt.

Adam

Put the money towards a real tune... imho.

I agree with you 100% BUT.......this thing is designed for people who bought a V8 and are disappointed that they don't get 30mpg. Now buyers remorse kicks in because they can't afford rising fuel prices, and they realize they should have bought a car and will do anything to increase MPG's to include keeping half the engine shut down longer (still not a good idea IMO but never liked the idea of afm from day 1)

Though it is a good idea for those guys, a tune is the best of both worlds. The thing with that is people believe the "warranty void" scare tactics they hear or read about. Unkonwn to many, there are laws specifically designed to protect us the consumer from such nonsence.

This Range, programmer I guess you can call it may work for people but not for those of us that actually use our trucks for trucks.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

Another vote for the dyno tune, most vehicles from the manufacturer have the a/f ratio set way to lean, to help achive maximum gas milage (mpg).

My proof? my 2013 Yukon denali does not have ANY light carbon residue in the tailpipe, my 2001 Z28 (Sara (which has been dyno tuned) ) had a stock a/f ratio of 15.4 @ wot, and 15 @ idle. The dyno tuner adjusted it to 14.0 @ idle, and 13.5 @ wot. After driving Sara all day, I have a very light carbon deposit in her tailpipes.

The Range gentlemen has his opinion, as do I, I personally will not use a "plug and pray unit" on any of my vehicles.

Hmmm interesting... I absolutely hate AFM and usually put my truck in manual 5 in "City" traffic. Keeps the AFM from kicking in. A tune is out of the question because of my warranty. Once that is up ill be the first in line for a BB tune or something similar but in the meantime, this might be worth it.

Need any test subjects for a non bias review?? haha

I've always hated the AFM but have never trusted GM to fulfill their warranty obligations so I've always avoided a tune. I didn't buy the truck to race, save gas, pull a house or spin the tires so I don't have a problem with the functions of the drivetrain except I hate the AFM.This sounds like the cats meow for what I want.

Is there anything that can go wrong if I over ride the AFM?

It is my understanding that with the range you aren't doing anything different than you do when driving around in M5, which is harmless. I've done just that since the time I test drove my truck, before I even owned it. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always hated the AFM but have never trusted GM to fulfill their warranty obligations so I've always avoided a tune. I didn't buy the truck to race, save gas, pull a house or spin the tires so I don't have a problem with the functions of the drivetrain except I hate the AFM.This sounds like the cats meow for what I want.

Is there anything that can go wrong if I over ride the AFM?

RVJ:

The truck runs exactly like stock. We don't alter the operating conditions at all. We have a 90 day unconditional money back guarantee. Give it a try.

I drive the V8 version every day now - but I'm biased... :)

If I unplugged the Range and took the truck in for service would the dealer or the dealers computer know that my truck had been running in V8 mode only and not switching back and forth between 4 and 8 cylinder mode?

I found it on sale at Amazon, is that the best way to buy it or are there any group sales on it?

To those who hink a tune is a better idea

BlackZ71 - I bought my truck and as I have used my truck as a truck, AND I will say I probably have done so more than you and many on this board. I am currently on a trip across the U.S. towing a 29Foot travel trailer that weighs 5,000 pounds. 3,000 towing miles so far-5,000 solo "touring miles". (2011-5.3 Crew Cab)

The refinement of the transmission and AFM on these trucks are below par. They clunk, hesitate, and make all manners of strange moans and groans. The AFM takes a proven motor the 5.3 and makes it terrible.

The Mag-Moss act is to make all you who have a tune sleep better at night. Go over to the Ford forums and read how Ford is denying fuel pump coverage on their diesels THAT ARE UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-motor-problems/131047-6-4-cam-gear-high-pressure-fuel-pump-gear-stripped.html

I don't own one of Adam's boxes yet, because I don't want to change anything while on this trip. Since I live not too far from Park City, I will probably purchase one of his "black boxes" upon my return to the Salt Lake Valley in August.

GM can tell when changes are made, even if it is to change backto the "factory tune".

I will purcahse the box that keeps it in 8cyl mode and makes the 5.3 behave as a V8 should.

Well I hope it works out for you. Still won't do anything for your transmission though. Going to be sloppy with that thing plugged in. It should keep the annoying in and out afm crap under control. Should be better for you when towing. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

Archived