• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dsmmace

dsmmace

Enthusiast

• 44 posts
  • Drives:2011 Chev Silverado 6.2 NHT

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

I just bought my 09 Sierra Z71 Crew two weeks ago with 86,000kms.  I went into a the dealer for a oil change to find out that both my oil and transmission cooler lines are leaking at the crimps on the fittings.  The surprising fact is that they aren't covered under powertrain warranty.  Is my dealer full of shit or is this actually true.  I have powertrain warranty until Sept 2014. 

It doesn't appear like I am the only one to have these lines leak, but what are you guys doing to fix, just replace the lines with gm ones or get some new ones made up from a local hydraulic line manufacture?  I know from my 98 Chev, there were aftermarket ones that were better in design and didn't leak near as often.

2011 Chev Silverado Crew 4wd 6.2 NHT

Air Raid MIT, Bilstein 5100 Shocks

1998 Bayliner Capri 1850 with a warmed over 4.3V6

#2 Carder

Carder

Turbo Powaaaaa!

• 2,222 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Drives:2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Have the same problem but only with my oil lines, I'm just going to replace them with some AC delcos

Main ride: 2013 Vee-Dub GTI

Other ride: 1994 atoyoT MR2 Jap Spec G-Limited

#3 GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service

Verified GM Employee

• 1,264 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just bought my 09 Sierra Z71 Crew two weeks ago with 86,000kms.  I went into a the dealer for a oil change to find out that both my oil and transmission cooler lines are leaking at the crimps on the fittings.  The surprising fact is that they aren't covered under powertrain warranty.  Is my dealer full of shit or is this actually true.  I have powertrain warranty until Sept 2014. 

It doesn't appear like I am the only one to have these lines leak, but what are you guys doing to fix, just replace the lines with gm ones or get some new ones made up from a local hydraulic line manufacture?  I know from my 98 Chev, there were aftermarket ones that were better in design and didn't leak near as often.

I would recommend that you contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. The hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Please feel free to keep me posted or contact me with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!

#4 dsmmace

dsmmace

Enthusiast

• 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I spoke with Crystal-Lea from your customer service office, she mentioned that cooler lines were ever covered until the 2010 model year.  Which confused me even more.  My quote to replace both were over $1100 with parts and labor.

#5 moab11

moab11

Enthusiast

• 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I spoke with Crystal-Lea from your customer service office, she mentioned that cooler lines were ever covered until the 2010 model year.  Which confused me even more.  My quote to replace both were over $1100 with parts and labor.

That's interesting, my dealer said the lines were only covered on the bumper to bumper warranty on my 08, quoted me over $300 for just the one trans cooler line!

2008 Sierra SLE ECSB, Stockish for now.....
2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX, not quite stock.....

#6 wurgs

wurgs

Enthusiast

• 541 posts
  • Name:Jeremy
  • Drives:2009 GMC Sierra SLT All Terrain

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

I didn't know it was this common. I just had my tranny cooler line replaced last weekend and was 325 with labor. Only have 40000 on truck, seems like they should last longer than this. Has there ever been a bulletin put out about this from GM? It seems to me that if its this common GM should step up and do something about it.

#7 Badass69

Badass69

Enthusiast

• 824 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Don't use the GM junk and pay that ridiculous amount of labor either.  A monkey can change either the engine oil cooler or the transmission ones for that matter.  Dorman replacement lines last just as well as the factory crap and are a fraction of the cost.  But realisitically the only real way to fix them is to ditch the crimp on pot metal fitting for something as simple as a regular old hose clamp.  Leaks are gone forever.

#8 Badass69

Badass69

Enthusiast

• 824 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

When the engine grenaded in my old 09 2500 it was still under powertrain warranty but not bumper to bumper.  The dealer changed the transmission cooler lines at that time as well and it not covered by the powertrain warranty.

#9 Maverick Z71

Maverick Z71

Enthusiast

• 286 posts
  • Name:Bret
  • Drives:2009 Chevy Silverado CC Z71 4x4

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Just had them replaced (in January) on my '09 Silverado crew cab Z71 4x4 (5.3V8 LC9, 6-speed auto), covered by the then-expiring bumper-to-bumper warranty.  From what I understand, they are not covered by the subsequent powertrain warranty.  WOW, I did not know the AC Delco replacements cost that much--thank goodness I got them replaced under warranty.  They started 'sweating' at the crimps about a year ago, and then progressed to dripping.  I'd guess this is a trouble area for GM, as my last car, a '96 Impala SS, did the exact same thing!  The service tech said it is not supposed to leak with any type of oil/fluid, but running full synthetic oil (like I was running Pennzoil Ultra at the time) may have made the oil cooler lines drip a little more than if I was running convention dino oil.  Since then I have switched to Pennzoil Gold semi-synthetic in the hopes of lessening any potential future leaks, which is the same thing I had to do in my old Impala, which seemed to help lessen its leaking troubles. 

Westbound and down, loaded up and truckin'; we're gonna do what they say can't be done.

#10 dsmmace

dsmmace

Enthusiast

• 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sounds like my strategy will be to replace the crimp ends as a minimum or make completely new lines at a hydraulic line shop.

#11 wiggles204

wiggles204

Enthusiast

• 1 posts
  • Drives:2009 GMC| Sierra Z71 short box

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Folks,I have a 2009 GMC sierra Z71 - 72,000KM.  I just got all three trans cooler lines complete at my local (non GM dealer) garage with NAPA connectors and crimps (way better than the GM crap).... total price 160.14.  GM wanted 434.... guess what I told my local GM dealer he could do with his price as well as the GM associate :0)).  My oil cooler lines are also leaking and I will be going to get them replace next month.... 

Edited by wiggles204, 04 April 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#12 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,573 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

I had my oil cooler line start leaking st around 20k. Had it replaced under warranty (don't know which one)

Ryan

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#13 scooby5121

scooby5121

Enthusiast

• 428 posts
  • Name:Eric
  • Drives:08 GM 6L CrewCab Dually 4by4

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Way to much money ,and they will leak again Trust Me !!!

#14 fraiolib

fraiolib

Enthusiast

• 533 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Mine were leaking when the truck went to the dealer to have manifold gaskets replaced under warranty, i only had one line leaking, they called me to tell me the gaskets were all set but my transmission line was leaking, would be $300 to have them fix it, i said no thanks ill take care of ityself, then they told me that because i declined to have it fixed if anything was to ever happen to my tranny it would no longer be under warranty.
Posted Image

#15 Chevyboy86

Chevyboy86

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,280 posts
  • Drives:WORD UP

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Ya don't replace them with the same junk. They'll start leakin again eventually. Mine are leakin to this day ahah...couple drips here and there. Rust proofing.

2007.5 Sierra SLT 2500hd Duramax, Loaded, Leather, Sunroof, 6" Lift, DVD, Billet S475/stock twin kit (60psi), Suncoast Gmax-6 tranny built by Husker Diesel, 1058 suncoast triple disc t/c, AFE cold pipe, M/A transfer case brace, EFI LIVE DSP5 by idaho rob, 35x12.5r20 Toyo's on BMF Novakanes, Amp Research Steps, Premier H/U, 3 JL audio amps, 2 JL woofers,  Focal components, Cobalt Gauges, HID's all around, bullet proof bumper, air dog 150 and all kinds of other little fuel mods. Soon - 40 over sticks, S3xx/S475 Fixed Vane twins, Motor currently under the knife! Shooting for 700+  In Loving Memory of TC 84-12
collage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users