Oil Cooler lines and Transmission Cooler Lines Leaking

Interesting... no leaks here, and I've towed through some high temps for long periods. Anyways, afaik... only 1500 trucks w/ a 6L80 transmission have external motor oil cooling.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting... no leaks here, and I've towed through some high temps for long periods. Anyways, afaik... only 1500 trucks w/ a 6L80 transmission have external motor oil cooling.

I personally don't think it's from being hot for long periods. It's the style of crimp they use, I find mine only ever leak in the winter. When it's cold, they never seem to leak in the summer as bad. Something to do with the diff shrink rates of rubber/steel crimp in the cold I bet...

I checked my lines out myself, they are sweating, not dripping like the mechanic said. Not worth replacing yet. But I will be keeping my eyes on them when changing the oils.

I for one will be replacing the factory crimp hose connections at a minimum.

With so many people being affected, gm should look at doing a part change up at a minimum. Nissan does this all the time.

I ended up ordering new lines from Rock Auto. Once everything was said and done, paid less than 100 CAD.

My Calgary dealership gave me the same 1100 repair quote, out of warranty, etc, etc.

Mine were leaking when the truck went to the dealer to have manifold gaskets replaced under warranty, i only had one line leaking, they called me to tell me the gaskets were all set but my transmission line was leaking, would be $300 to have them fix it, i said no thanks ill take care of ityself, then they told me that because i declined to have it fixed if anything was to ever happen to my tranny it would no longer be under warranty.

That's pretty chicken $hit of your dealer to say that.... :nono:

Do it yourself & just document the mileage on your parts receipt. That way you have something to stand on if something ever DID go wrong with your transmission. :chevy:

As I just posted in the oil usage thread, my dealer called when the motor was out and said one of my trans cooler lines were leaking. Normally a $300 job, but since the motor was out, they would do it for $150. I looked up the part and saw a new line from RockAuto (Delco) was less than $20 so I said no, plus I hadn't seen it myself. I crawled under and looked the other day and see that it is starting to drip onto the skidplate (that they broke). So I've been reading an some are just replacing and others are making their own lines. On older trucks when I would add an external cooler, I would just cut the rigid line and clamp on the new cooler hose and route up to the cooler. Can we not just do that with these (replace their rubber line with ours and cut off their crappy fittings?) Is there too much pressure? Looks like a PITA to get to the fitting on the trans and to route a new replacement line :smash:

-Jason

Mine were leaking when the truck went to the dealer to have manifold gaskets replaced under warranty, i only had one line leaking, they called me to tell me the gaskets were all set but my transmission line was leaking, would be $300 to have them fix it, i said no thanks ill take care of ityself, then they told me that because i declined to have it fixed if anything was to ever happen to my tranny it would no longer be under warranty.

It makes me mad that somewhere a dealer is out there robbing people like this, what a bunch of clowns.

It makes me mad that somewhere a dealer is out there robbing people like this, what a bunch of clowns.

I agree. The fear and coercion used by some of the service departments is disgusting. I prefer to do my own maintenance since I'm pretty OCD about the state of my vehicles. I keep very rigorous maintenance oil change schedules, log everything, have the full set of GM service manuals, all OEM/AC Delco parts, etc..

And on the odd occasion where I've had to take the vehicle in for an obvious warranty repair that would have been an expensive fix other wise, I've gotten the lecture about how I'll void my warranty by doing my own work, I don't know these vehicles as well as their service techs etc. Considering the shape my truck has been left in on occasion by multiple dealerships, (scratches in the paint, greasy hand prints all over interior, exterior trim that was poorly installed, etc), I don't think I can do worse work than they can.

• 9 months later...

Oh Boy I can't wait to deal with this! Same old GM.... Yet the alternative trucks are either ugly or expensive so I keep buying them....

Although, GM Customer Service probably leased a Tundra for Toyota with how they treated me the last time I dealt with them when my Malibu lease is up....

Can't see buying another GM but damn the Tundra is ugly lol.....

• 4 months later...

Archived