Oil Cooler lines and Transmission Cooler Lines Leaking

I have a 2010 1500 6.2L Mine leak when its cold-GM should buck up and do something about this issue.

Hello xDuramaxOwner,

Our apologies to hear of the concerns you are experiencing with your truck. We'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf and document these concerns in our system. Please send us a private message with your contact information and VIN if you'd like our assistance.

Thank you,

Andraya

GM Customer Care

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Hope this post is in the right place)

Well, it's my turn. I've just discovered “sweating,” not quite leaking of my transmission-cooler lines. I discovered it because I began to get some belt squeal over the last two days. The tensioners and belts are fine – it was fluid mixed with water thrown back on the air-conditioner belt.

I went to a local garage that has a good reputation He quoted me $305.00 – which includes 3 lines, labor and a fluid top-off. He gets either GM lines or Dorman – same price, my choice, ~ $25 per..

Dealer here was $420.00!! The local guy still seems high. Do-it-yourself with pipe clamps looks to be a bit of a PITA and maybe won't last any longer. What do you guys think circa 2014?

I did a full system replacement, big aftermarket cooler, and all 3 lines were replaced using Aeroquip steel-braided teflon hoses with AN fittings.

rubber hose and claps are pretty much a band-aid. You will have to properly deal with it at some point

• 3 weeks later...

If you suspect a leak change it sooner than later. I had a pin hole leak and thought I can wait a week to fix it. Then the line fractured, I lost my tranny fluid and burnt out the transmission. $2500 lesson later...

I hear you, Slemmer! I checked it daily for a week before doing it. I got lucky, and I wasn't driving more than 10 miles a day during that time.

Finally, on 12/1 I said to hell with paying $170.00 for labor to change the cooler lines! I bought the GM replacement lines and did it myself. If it should leak again before 2017; I'll definitely do what you did Chris.

It was a PITA without a lift, using a jack, laying on my back on a gravel driveway in December. It took a couple of hours to do it all – I also changed the air conditioner belt and tensioner, it was that squeal which alerted me to the problem. It was easier to do it now with the cooler lines out. Though I probably did not need to change the belt or the tensioner, now I won't have to think about those for a couple of years either. Anyway, after wiping some transmission fluid off the side of my face, scraping a few knuckles, and inventing several new words along the way, it's done. I haven't seen a drop on the garage floor since I did it. Hooah!

I would have replied to you guys sooner but I haven,t been by the forums for about two weeks.

I hear you, Slemmer! I checked it daily for a week before doing it. I got lucky, and I wasn't driving more than 10 miles a day during that time.

Finally, on 12/1 I said to hell with paying $170.00 for labor to change the cooler lines! I bought the GM replacement lines and did it myself. If it should leak again before 2017; I'll definitely do what you did Chris.

It was a PITA without a lift, using a jack, laying on my back on a gravel driveway in December. It took a couple of hours to do it all – I also changed the air conditioner belt and tensioner, it was that squeal which alerted me to the problem. It was easier to do it now with the cooler lines out. Though I probably did not need to change the belt or the tensioner, now I won't have to think about those for a couple of years either. Anyway, after wiping some transmission fluid off the side of my face, scraping a few knuckles, and inventing several new words along the way, it's done. I haven't seen a drop on the garage floor since I did it. Hooah!

I would have replied to you guys sooner but I haven,t been by the forums for about two weeks.

I had the exact same phenom with my 04. Getting those new lines in there took serious creativity and swearing. Almost made me cry at one point. Was not fun. Having said that, now that I've done it once it would be a lot easier next time.

When I swapped the engine in the wife's 1999 Tahoe with an HT383E, I replaced all three of the transmission cooler lines with AN-6 fittings and steel braided hose. While I was at it I did the same thing to both oil cooler lines too. in reading through this thread, I'm glad I did, now I expect them to last forever.

If the hose is made correctly, the steel braided Teflon hose should outlast your truck. Thats Assuming you used a quality hose and fittings such as Eaton Aeroquip

• 2 weeks later...

Local dealer replaced the transmission fluid cooler lines on my '09 Silverado again this week. They were sweating/dripping at the crimps where the rubber hose changes into a metal line, just like they did last time. Looks like over the years GM could finally figure out how to get some frakkin oil and tranny fluid cooler line hoses that don't leak!! They replaced the original ones exactly 2 years ago under the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. When I made this service appointment last week, the Service Mgr told me they'd be covered under the 5-year powertrain warranty. Today when I went to pick it up, they wanted $300 plus tax. I said WTH and they said they weren't covered. I told the Service Advisor that I wouldn't have booked it in for this now if I had known it wasn't covered, and they went and had a huddle with the Service Mgr. He told them to use a different code and they said no cost to me, since it was the 2nd repair on the same parts. I guessing they used 'Goodwill'. Looks like they would know what is covered by warranty and what is not, frontwards and backwards. Once again, it makes me mad when I see them taking advantage of IGMOs/women who just pay what they say! (My old boss once paid $500 for a 'muffler bearing')

• 2 weeks later...

Just had mine replaced on my 2006. Sounds like quite a range of trucks are affected by this and costing owners a lot of money. In my opinion, GM should be covering this...even if they have to do a recall to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine were leaking on my 13 1500 4x4 with just under 20000 km on the clock. Just got off the phone with Gm and they told me they are covered under factory warranty until Oct 2016. Money saved but more time spent in the waiting area at the dealership, but its better than paying.

One trick that I did on my '94 to even the score some, is that I had GM replace the lines on my dime. Seeing as the GM lines are junk, it was easy to find them seeping within the 12 month/12000 mile warranty...I had them change them about five times for free. The last time I had it in the shop, I missed the warranty (mileage) by 1000 and lost out on the free bees. I traded the truck in on a new one.

bbwb

Archived