2013 TPMS question

6Sixathome

Take your vehicle to any "Discount Tire", and they will do the relearn for free.

Cool! Good to know! Now if I can remember this the next time I may need to. lol

Here is the tool for sale on ebay right now. I have it works great takes about 1-2 minutes and your done. The ebay item number is 271180307507 GM Relearn tool. I gave up doing the relearn letting air out of your tires.

The air out method still works on my 2011. The factory TPMS I have to air up to about 40 lbs and let air out as fast as possible and it takes long enough you think it won't work but it does. The aftermarket TPMS in my winter tires, the learning happens quickly.

It is not that I can't afford the tool, it is just that they changed to try and make you buy it or go back to the dealer POs me.

The change in mid year 2011 was not to "make you go back to the dealer" it was a necessary change because the vibrations through the internal sensor components that is necessary for the sensor to start learn mode transmissions was getting dampened too much when the tpm sensors changed over to full rubber valve stems. After that, it was hit or miss so instead of dealing with inconsistancies, it was easier to just take that logic out of the sensor and use the tool.

Yes as the tool only activates the sensor and does not care what the ID# is. I use a tool for my summer to winter swaps and rotations with no problems.

• 7 months later...

I am buying some factory 20's off a guy's 2011 Silverado 1500 to put on my 2013 Burb. I currently have the plain 17 aluminum wheels with cheap goodyear tires.

The seller is leaving the tpms in each wheel. Is the relearn tool the only option for my application?

Well reading this explains why I can set the TPMS in my new aftermarket wheels to the truck. I set the parking brake and pressed both buttons on the key fob which activated the learning process but it wouldn't take the new sensors. You mean I'll have to go to the dealer to have them set?

Archived