5.3 oil consumption

For all of you with the 5.3 eating oil about how many miles were you at when you started to notice it? Mine has a little over 20k and has yet to use any oil. Just wandering when I should start keeping a close eye on it

How bad is it? Like a quart or two every 3k or more?

I'd say it was around a 1-1.5 Litres every 3,000 KM.

I had the lifters replaced under warranty about 15,000 KM ago and haven't had an oil loss since then though.

My LC9 has always sipped a little 5W-30 right along, whether it be conventional dino oil or full synthetic. It eats at least a quart every 5K miles, with an occasional binge such as drinking a 1/2 quart all-of-the-sudden at 7K miles, a whole quart at 12K miles, and 2 quarts at about 22K miles. Longer trips with higher speeds and AFM usage seem to accompany the binge drinking, but it still uses more oil than anything else I've ever owned (which includes several Fords and Chevys and a Pontiac). This is especially unfortunate because this truck has been babied and had maintenance over-and-above what the General calls for, since day one of it's service life.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my truck had around 40k miles on it when I started to notice. I just posted in the Oil Consumption poll thread.

I'd say it was around a 1-1.5 Litres every 3,000 KM.
I had the lifters replaced under warranty about 15,000 KM ago and haven't had an oil loss since then though.

Why/how did you get them to replace your lifters? I've got one tapping and can't convince them to fix it. First go round they told me it was piston slap, then injector. After putting in 8 new pistons for the AFM Oil consump fix it's still making the noise. I know what lifter noise is.

I think my truck had around 40k miles on it when I started to notice. I just posted in the Oil Consumption poll thread.

Why/how did you get them to replace your lifters? I've got one tapping and can't convince them to fix it. First go round they told me it was piston slap, then injector. After putting in 8 new pistons for the AFM Oil consump fix it's still making the noise. I know what lifter noise is.

I just brought it in, said it makes lots of noise on cold starts, left it over night and they said ok we will change the lifters...

I guess I must use a good dealership

• 3 years later...

My 13-5.3 started using oil at 35-40km and now I'm at 59km and it really drinks oil I can't make it between oil changes without adding oil. Sounds to me like most of you guys have it fairly easy

Archived