2001 GMC Sierra 1500 z71

cvarnell

Question

Need to know if I need to completely replace my steering column or the parts I screwed up! I was having trouble with my ignition and to make a long story short I ruined the ignition cylinder and the piece it goes into. So I'm stuck wondering if I can just replace the part I messed up with a part from the junkyard or if I need a whole new steering column? My truck isn't getting any power at all inside the cab my seats wont move, doors wont lock and my dome light won't come on even when I have the battery charger hooked straight to my battery wires. Please and thanks for the help!

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how you're planning on accomplishing this but if it were me I'd probably take the fuel filter out, place a piece of 5/8" heater hose (or something similar) over the hard line coming from the tank and place the other end in a suitable container and then jumper 12v to the prime contact in the underhood electrical center. After it was empty I'd put another gallon of gas in the tank and pump it through, replace the filter and fill the tank w/ gas. If you choose to go this route make sure you shut that pump off as soon as the tank is empty. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but I don't see why this won't work.

Okay bad battery. But it's turning over but not starting now. Will it take awhile before the fuel is primed back?

So what did you do to get to this point? You should be able to hear your fuel pump running for a couple of seconds after you turn the key to run if you listen very closely.

Yeah that's it. I got a new ignition lock cylinder and I just needed to know if since I'm not getting any power inside the truck I don't know if it is because I need a whole new column or what. What's the name of that part bud?

It's called a "case" from what I've seen. Try GM part # 88965342 if you can't locate one in the junkyard. Dorman also makes a substitute part for the OEM and there are a ton of both on eBay. I added the tech info for removal/replacement in the above post.

The Dorman p/n is 924-713.

Okay I found one and it says it comes with passlock sensor so maybe that's why I'm not getting power?

That I don't know but I'll try to dig into it a little more tomorrow. BTW, that tech info I attached earlier is for a tilt column....if yours isn't tilt let me know and i'll post the info for the standard column. I just read the Theft Deterent section....nothing in there suggest you lose power to the entire truck.

Yes it is a tilt column. And probably a stupid question but do you think this part would work? It's the same part no but.it says 03-whatever. From what I have read I'm pretty sure anything 2000-2006 will fit. Just wanna be sure

Yes it is a tilt column. And probably a stupid question but do you think this part would work? It's the same part no but.it says 03-whatever. From what I have read I'm pretty sure anything 2000-2006 will fit. Just wanna be sure

The Dorman part does state that their part will work from 2000-06. I looked the GM part up on www.gmpartsdirect.com specifically for an 01. I'm pretty confident that all of the GMT 800 series trucks use the same part as well as some other GM vehicles.

Yea I saw that one earlier after I found the GM part number.....as I said before, I'm pretty confident that is your part. Since you've got my interest going on this one do come back after you get it installed to update us. I'm punching out for the night.

Archived