03 2.2L Sonoma Hot Wheels Heater problem

My Sonoma emits heated air through the vents even when blower is off. A real pain during the warmer months. I believe an actuator is not functioning to close the duct between the heater core and vent, or the flow of heated water is not bypassing the core ( if thats how heat is controlled). A/C works fine. Can't tell if it could be colder, but it cools adequately.

In order to examine the ducting the dash has to come off. How is it removed ?

Any similar problems experienced out there ?

Thanks for any input !

• 2 weeks later...

My Sonoma emits heated air through the vents even when blower is off. A real pain during the warmer months. I believe an actuator is not functioning to close the duct between the heater core and vent, or the flow of heated water is not bypassing the core ( if thats how heat is controlled). A/C works fine. Can't tell if it could be colder, but it cools adequately.

In order to examine the ducting the dash has to come off. How is it removed ?

Any similar problems experienced out there ?

Thanks for any input !

I think you'll find it is normal (either that or my 2003 S10 was broken in just the same way). The manual says that some degree of air will always flow through the vehicle's ventilation system when it is in motion.

If I turned the air flow controls on my S10 off, air came out of the heater outlet on the floor. I'm not sure why it would be, but getting absolutely cool air out of the heater outlet seems to be impossible. I would notice the air would turn warmer as flow was redirected from the dash vents to the floor outlet, even with the temp control fully turned to the "cool" position.

Using the Bi-Level air conditioning position worked fine on my truckling.

The climate controls are vacuum operated on these trucks, and the vacuum lines are known to rot, leaving you with climate controls that may do odd things. I have a video

that may help you.

• 4 years later...

Archived