6.0 vs 6.6 fuel economy?

I did a search and didn't seem to find if anybody had asked this question already. With all things being equal how does the diesel compare to the gas engine in fuel economy? I realize when someone wants a vehicle like this, its usually not an issue. Kind of like buying a muscle car, but I was curious as to the opinions on this.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people who buy the diesel does so for the torque. Duramax will hold a gear on most gradual hills.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I can pull up my history on my 99, 2500 Ext cab 6.0 and tell you that over the time I owned the truck from 16,000 miles to 186,000 miles my average loaded and unloaded mileage was 13.887234. Since January 1, 2012 with my 11 2500 CC 4 X 4 my average loaded and unloaded mileage is 14.312302. I will say that the first two years on my diesel I have more towing mileage that I did in most of the years with the 99. Also let me say that towing with the 11 is almost a pleasure, not many white knuckle climbs and down hill runs. :jester:

I have made only one trip that I can say was the same with both trucks and the difference on that trip was the 99 got 8.4 mpg on a 1800 mile trip and the 11 pulling the same trailer got 13.5 mpg. The difference is 170,000 miles over 10 years to only 21,000 miles in 2 years. I think over time the diesel will get to be a greater difference that what I am seeing right now.(or at least I hope):jester:

2011 3500 sierra, 6.0l gas, cc, 4x4, 4.10 gears. I average 15 hwy, 12 city. 8-9 with my 7000lb 5th wheel. All stock. Last tank, hand calculated 13.64 mpg combined driving.

2011 3500 sierra, 6.0l gas, cc, 4x4, 4.10 gears. I average 15 hwy, 12 city. 8-9 with my 7000lb 5th wheel. All stock. Last tank, hand calculated 13.64 mpg combined driving.

I could live with 15. That's what my 2000 5.3 is getting now. I see your from Wixom, My father in-law use to work at the ford plant years ago and there always seems to be something fun to do at he convention center. Thanks for the info

Are you looking for a new truck or an older model? The new updated 6.0's with the 6 speed transmission (2011+) are getting better mileage than previous models. With my 2012 GMC SLT 2500 6.0, I get 12.5 city and 15 hwy. The new diesels getting lower city mileage and have frequent regens but pull heavy loads with ease compared to the older models. Most guys don't need a diesel and the extra maintenance costs unless they haul heavy loads on a regular basis.

"The new updated 6.0's with the 6 speed transmission (2011+) are getting better mileage than previous models. With my 2012 GMC SLT 2500 6.0, I get 12.5 city and 15 hwy."

I have about the same truck only with a 1,500 lb pop up camper on full time.

I have been seeing 12 city and 14 to 15 highway IF I'm gentle on the throttle.

Are you looking for a new truck or an older model? The new updated 6.0's with the 6 speed transmission (2011+) are getting better mileage than previous models. With my 2012 GMC SLT 2500 6.0, I get 12.5 city and 15 hwy. The new diesels getting lower city mileage and have frequent regens but pull heavy loads with ease compared to the older models. Most guys don't need a diesel and the extra maintenance costs unless they haul heavy loads on a regular basis.

I'm patiently waiting for my new 2013 to arrive. It sounds like if I'm good I should see 15 with a 6.0. I debated about the diesel but with me using it a couple of months out of the year for plowing and towing two snowmobiles it just isn't making a whole lot of sense to change my mind and reorder with a diesel.

I'm patiently waiting for my new 2013 to arrive. It sounds like if I'm good I should see 15 with a 6.0. I debated about the diesel but with me using it a couple of months out of the year for plowing and towing two snowmobiles it just isn't making a whole lot of sense to change my mind and reorder with a diesel.

You'll see 15, it is not uncommon with the new 6.0's. I also use mine for towing snowmobiles and ATV's depending on the season. I plan on getting a slide in camper some day for the summer ATV months, that is why I decided on a 2500 over my previous 1500's. I could not see any reason to buy a diesel for my use and don't need to overcompensate to feel tough...lol. The new diesels get better mileage when empty, but drop fast under load, so I couldn't see spending more for the truck, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc.

You'll see 15, it is not uncommon with the new 6.0's. I also use mine for towing snowmobiles and ATV's depending on the season. I plan on getting a slide in camper some day for the summer ATV months, that is why I decided on a 2500 over my previous 1500's. I could not see any reason to buy a diesel for my use and don't need to overcompensate to feel tough...lol. The new diesels get better mileage when empty, but drop fast under load, so I couldn't see spending more for the truck, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page. I use my 2000 1500 to plow (fisher ezv) the installer said don't do it, I said go ahead and its worked great but now I just thought since I'm in the market for a new truck I might as well get something with a heavier front.

Archived