6.0 vs 6.6 fuel economy?

Generally under load gas engines will experience a quicker drop in their mileage / performance vs the Diesel engine under similar circumstances, that is why the diesel makes a better choice for work type equipment vs gas powered work type equipment not to mention the torque power curve differences.

But it really is a matter of personal choice and associated trade offs of the engine choices and that is the beauty of gas or engine choice. :thumbs:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In January of this year I bought a 2010 2500HD, 4x4 CC with the 6.0 and 16,500 miles on it. I now have about 24,000 miles and the best mileage I have gotten is a little over 12mpg on the highway. Not as good as I had hoped for but really like the truck. The factory warranty ran out a couple weeks ago and I will start looking into some sort of tune for mileage, shifting and throttle response improvements.

In January of this year I bought a 2010 2500HD, 4x4 CC with the 6.0 and 16,500 miles on it. I now have about 24,000 miles and the best mileage I have gotten is a little over 12mpg on the highway. Not as good as I had hoped for but really like the truck. The factory warranty ran out a couple weeks ago and I will start looking into some sort of tune for mileage, shifting and throttle response improvements.

Why did your factory warranty run out? Shouldn't it be 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper and I thought the power train was 5 year/ 60000 or even 100000 miles?

What is your avg speed on the hwy? I cruise at 65-68 and see 15mpg all day. 6.0 with 4.10 gears. Current tank is probably 70% hwy and 30% city. Computer is showing 14.8mpg which is usually 0.4 - 0.6mpg off from my hand calc.

The in-service date of the truck was 05/24/2010.

I cruise right at 70 and no higher. It has 3.73 gears. I did forget to mention that the truck had aftermarket 20" wheels on it when I bought it. I took the large tires off and put equivelant size 20" tires on. That gained me a little over 1 mpg. Stock tire diameter is 31.6" and my current tires are 31.9". I bought a set of stock wheels that I will eventually put on and hope that helps the mpg.

Why did your factory warranty run out? Shouldn't it be 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper and I thought the power train was 5 year/ 60000 or even 100000 miles?

What is your avg speed on the hwy? I cruise at 65-68 and see 15mpg all day. 6.0 with 4.10 gears. Current tank is probably 70% hwy and 30% city. Computer is showing 14.8mpg which is usually 0.4 - 0.6mpg off from my hand calc.

Quoted from above: What is your avg speed on the hwy? I cruise at 65-68 and see 15mpg all day. 6.0 with 4.10 gears. Current tank is probably 70% hwy and 30% city. Computer is showing 14.8mpg which is usually 0.4 - 0.6mpg off from my hand calc.

The HD's were upgraded in 2011 with engine improvements, new 6 speed transmission, an entire new chassis, suspension, rotors, brakes, much beefier overall and see much better mileage the the previous models. I have a 2012 6.0 and see a city average of 12.5 and 15.5 on the highway.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an 05 silverado hd2500 with the 6.0 gas. Always averaged around 13.4 mpg combined city & hiway. I bought a 2011 two months ago and the salesman guaranteed I would get better mpg with the six speed. He was correct! I now get 13.8 mpg with the same driving habits. WOW!!

Towing 8000 pounds last weekend going 240 miles, i got 9.2, but 50 miles was unloaded. I am anticipatiing 8-9 mpg towing overall....

A buddy has an 05 cummins with a similar trailer and gets 13-14 towing and 91-21 hiway....not bad for a dually!

I have a 13 2500 HD 6.0 373's extended cab. BEST I have got is 14 city and highway. I drive very conservative. I get 9 mpg towing a 7000lb camper at about 60-65 mph. But it's a heavy truck. 6200 miles on the truck.

Jim

2005 2500 6.0L 4 spd auto 4.10 gear 6,500 lbs empty solo, 14,000 combined with 7,500 lb trailer.

12 mpg avg. 8.5 mpg tow.

The 6spd might do better with the 3.73 to take better advantage of the so called "double overdrive" when cruising flat or empty, since the 6 spd has a steeper first and more even gear breaks (and more of them) on the climb.

But on an overall economy scale, the cost of the new truck, higher insurance premiums, higher registration fees based on the newer value, etc, very quickly wipe away any mpg gains imaginable. Factoring the diesel option means literally thousands more dollars at the outset, a commensurate rise in all value based fees, higher fuel costs, higher oil changing costs, even more stringent emissions issues in some states, and worries about water in the fuel taking out the fuel delivery system, which may or may not be a covered failure.

There is more to compare than just mpg, if economy of ownership is of paramount concern.

Now, if enjoyment of power while towing in high elevations is a factor, and the false "economy" is an effort to justify that enjoyment, then that is different, and ignore this post. I own gas and diesel trucks concurrently, and would testify under oath that for pulling trailers under 10K, with gross combineds under 16K, the gas motor has a more economical life cycle cost, when ALL related expenses are considered.

The diesel is, without question, more powerful.

No. Lighten up ur foot.

If I drove any slower I'd be backing up.lol

Jim

Jim, sorry to tell you. You are hovering around maximum MPG for a 6.0. My 06 4 speed, 33's and a well built 93 octane tune would get 12...drive lots of new ones at work. 12-14 seems to be the norm

Archived