6.0 vs 6.6 fuel economy?

What I find interesting is that there is no significant fuel economy improvement between the newer 6.0's with displacement on demand and 6 speed trannys and taller rear gears (4.10 not available anymore, only 3.73, 3.42, and taller) and the older 6.0's without the DOD and with only 4 spd trannys.

All the reports I have read have been fairly consistent, across many websites, particularly RV type websites, which are populated with either older drivers or family drivers with kids strapped in (in otherwords, not the not hot shot 19 yr old males with their bodies and their trucks high on steroids). About 1 or 2 mpg difference maximum... and even less of a difference when towing.

I'm happy to see that little bit of difference, as any improvement is good, but the fact that the difference is only marginally incremental indicates a physical / technical / engineering / economic / patent / infrastructural / legislative / profit / taxation (pick any four) barrier to moving 4 and 5 digits of mass for less cost to the consumer.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6.0 was a great engine for what it needed to do. Back around 1999 when the GMT-800s came about as well as the 6.0, 5.3, & 4.8- fuel economy wasn't as big of an issue as it is now. Thus why you are seeing new direct injection engines going into the GMT-1000s. Er.. new 2014+ models.. whatever.

What I find interesting is that there is no significant fuel economy improvement between the newer 6.0's with displacement on demand and 6 speed trannys and taller rear gears (4.10 not available anymore, only 3.73, 3.42, and taller) and the older 6.0's without the DOD and with only 4 spd trannys.

Where did you find this information? The new 2500HD's with 6.0 are NOT displacement on demand and you have only two gear choices 3.73 and 4.10. And yes, there is some MPG increase with the new 6 speed transmission over the previous generation trucks. Plus everything is heavier (frame, brakes, suspension, hauling capacity, towing capacity.

2011 6.0 3.73 gears

16,000 miles 3 yrs old this January

Strickly city driving I see 11-12.

All highway ill see around 14-15.

I love the truck so far. Handles everything I throw at it My last truck, 2007 1500 5.3 2WD, wasn't getting too much better mileage. These are just heavy trucks.

Matt

One big deciding factor for me (I came out of a newer Dodge Cummins) was just how much do I use the truck...mileage isn't really a concern unless you're like I was and putting nearly 50k miles a year on a truck. I went from averaging 50k miles a year to under 15k miles a year...I didn't tow heavy that often, I can suck it up and deal with the added cost for gas the once in a while I do a long trip or tow heavy. When you start talking low mileage trips per year, the difference in cost per gallon isn't all that much...but if you put lots of miles on a year or tow heavy all the time, a diesel will do that job better in the long run.

This 2012 CC is 6.0L/6spd/3.73 and gets me a combined 14 to 15 mpg driving (currently) 100 miles round trip a day (I need to get my DD inspected...). It gets upward of 17mpg on the highway, and between 10 and 14 mpg towing my 3k pound popup camper (depends on terrain). I don't call that all to bad considering the size of the truck. If I had it to do again, I would definitely get 4.10s.

Well, Im about to find it all out for myself. Found a 2013 ext 2500 with the 6.0. Ill be picking it up sometime next week after the box gets linex , change the big mirrors to the standard and nerf bars are installed. Now im getting excited.

Thanks for all of the great info

Well, Im about to find it all out for myself. Found a 2013 ext 2500 with the 6.0. Ill be picking it up sometime next week after the box gets linex , change the big mirrors to the standard and nerf bars are installed. Now im getting excited.

Thanks for all of the great info

What made you decide to remove the towing mirrors for the standard mirrors? Almost everyone goes the other way, even if it means loosing the auto fold in. You'll love your new truck....because, well, it's yours!

I also came over to a 2500 from the same era 1500 as yours, 2001 Silverado (best truck I've ever owned). It went to the dealer for it's first problem just before the 100,000 mile mark for a crank sensor.

What made you decide to remove the towing mirrors for the standard mirrors? Almost everyone goes the other way, even if it means loosing the auto fold in. You'll love your new truck....because, well, it's yours!

I also came over to a 2500 from the same era 1500 as yours, 2001 Silverado (best truck I've ever owned). It went to the dealer for it's first problem just before the 100,000 mile mark for a crank sensor.

The only towing I do is a snowmobile trailer. Its a inline trailer and since I have always had the standard mirrors I've become accustom to them, besides I really don't like the way the towing mirrors look. I almost feel guilty getting a new truck. The 2000 has been bullit proof for me but I know that can only last so long. The only major repair I had ever done was at about 120000 miles, a clutch gear in the transfer case went out. Im sure that would have never happened if I didn't plow with it. With 150,000 miles and 10g off of the price of a new 2500 slt I figured I couldn't pass up the deal. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

• 2 weeks later...

My '13 2500 HD4x4 6.0 w/3.73 long bed reg cab with a Leer topper and about 400lbs of tools is getting 12.5- 12.8 around town. I did get 14.38 and 14.3 over a couple of tanks making a 160 mile round trip to an out of town job. My '03 1500 4x4 5.3 never hit mpg. All hand figured since I haven't received my DIC parts yet.

Mike

I have a 2011 6.0 gas hd2500 that gets pathetic mileage and I had been thinking about going to a diesel. I recently drove by myself from St Louis to Baltimore....16 hours. Being board, i started keeping track of the difference in cost between gas and diesel fuel as I passed the truck stops on the hiway. I noted the difference in price at 104 truck stops from Indiana to Maryland. At a few, there was no price difference, and the worst was $1.04 difference, gas always being cheaper. The overall average for 104 stations was $.55/gallon, diesel being higher than gasoline.

Having several friends that have diesel trucks (mostly Fords and some GMs and one Cummins), I took a poll of 12 people to get their real world mpg numbers.

My 6.0 gas engine gets 14 mpg average and 7 towing. The average for 12 diesel trucks was 17 mpg average and 11 towing.

I used an assumed cost of $4.00/gallon for gas and $4.55/gallon for dieslel and ran a spreadsheet for both.

Using 20,000 miles as a base for average mpg, a gas motor at 14 mpg the total cost at $4.00 is $5714.29. A diesel at 17 mpg the total cost at $4.55 is $5352.94. Advantage diesel for $361.34 after 20,000 miles......supprising??

Using 4,000 miles as a base for towing mpg for a summer season, a gas motot at 7 mpg at $4.00 is $2285.71. A diesel at 11 mpg the total cost is $1654.55. Again, advantage diesel for $631.17......another surprise?!?

Given the maintenance costs of a diesel (oil filter for my 6.0 at Oreilly is $4.29, a oil filter for a Ford diesle is $23.00 as one example) plus the $6000-$8000 extra initial cost for a diesel motor, I absolutely do not see any financial advantage for owning a diesel over 20,000 miles. Even extrapolating the average mpg five time for a total of 100,000 miles, the diesel advantage is less than $2000.....so, it would take 400,000 miles to offset the cost of a dieslel engine's original cost, again not comensating for increased maintenance costs.

Having noted all of this, I know a diesel pulls better, less shifting, etc., etc., etc. But, i keep seeing and hearing how much cheaper diesels are to run. I am not so sure.

I understand that some folks get better diesel mileage, and some get worse. The info I used came from folks that pull 7000-9000 pound trailers.

After this research, I think I will be keeping my gas truck. I tow 8000+ pounds at 60-65 mph and it does fine.....

Zogg, all of that is true, but if you keep a truck like I do for at least 10 to 17 years, no matter how many miles are on it. I think that for me the diesel was the best choice, my 99 truck that I loved was getting tired at 186,000 miles, and I was not afraid to work it then just like when I got it but the fuel milage was going the wrong way and power that I felt in the seat was down. Keeping my DMax stock should give it a long useful life for me, I am already seeing '11 and '12's over 100,000 miles and even saw one that just rolled over 250,000 miles and it has been almost trouble free. Just my $0.02 :jester:

Well, I get at least 4 mpg better mileage with mine that I did my 6 litre. The maintenance is about another $100 every oil change but it can go another 5000kms. Diesel is always cheaper than gas in Canada too which is a plus, I say I you can afford the diesel than why not..??? Pulls much better, tey hold resale value much longer too.

Archived