Traverse Water Pump Shaft Seal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Duelin

Duelin

Enthusiast

• 465 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

My wife got a letter from GM today about a possible water pump shaft seal leak. Has anyone else received one of these letters?

#2 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,940 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

My wife got a letter from GM today about a possible water pump shaft seal leak. Has anyone else received one of these letters?

Traverse Forum

Additional search

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#3 Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado

Independent Amsoil Dealer

• 3,263 posts
  • Drives:2002 Silverado 91 Jetta TD

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

We got one today on our Acadia.  It seems GM has not done anything to fix this issue since it has been happening as far back as 2007. The letter states that if the coolant level is low it will cause the water pump shaft to leak.  Really GM?  We had to have our water pump replaced on our 08 at 80k miles.  Just hope that our 11 will fare better. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I have changed out the transmission fluid on our 11 twice now to get a good quality synthetic in there over the factory fill. I waited until 30k on the 08 and it was pretty dark.  At least our 08 didn't have any transmission issues.

Black 02 Silverado Z71, 5.3L Amsoil Fluids Black Bear Tuned with AutoCal
Black 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Economizer 91 Jetta Turbo Diesel

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!

Posted Image

#4 Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Enthusiast

• 541 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2011 "Sheer Silver" Silverado 4X4 LTZ CC 6.2L/3.73 "max trailer pack" with a Black Bear tune, baby!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

We got the letter for our '09.  I'm regularly anal about maintaining fluid levels, so haven't visited my friendly local Chevy dealer.

A helpful hint from Heloise, though: there is mention in Traverse forum about filling the cold level 2/5ths above the "full cold" mark on the reservoir.  Our '09 has the factory tow package, which supposedly includes HD cooling.  When new, I added 50/50 dexcool/distilled mix to the reservoir before cold start to that "full cold" mark a few times, and would smell coolant after ~5 miles of driving.  I finally decided to stop adding coolant and just watch the reservoir level for a while.  It settled in ~1/2" below the fill line and stopped dropping, at which time I also stopped smelling coolant.  Hasn't budged from there for the last 3 years.  Funny thing is I've never seen the hot level come anywhere close to rising near the fill cap or overflow vent at any time during ownership, so how it got out of there befuddles me.

Don't let the smooth taste fool you.

Posted Image

#5 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,325 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

I also got the letter last week so I went out and checked and found the level low so I thought. If you read the side of the reservoir it says "FULL COLD" at the top which is very hard to read so I filled it to there and then started seeing antifreeze spots on the driveway so I said ok the bastards leaking. What I didn't see is where it says "FULL COLD" at the top there is a arrow with a long line going to the bottom of the reservoir where it says" FULL COLD" again Iam cussing now that I had to remove what I put in and it hasn't moved since last week.

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#6 EX-F150 owner

EX-F150 owner

Enthusiast

• 393 posts
  • Name:Ralph
  • Drives:2010 Silverado Black Granite Metallic LTZ 4x4 L9H 6.2L NHT CrewCab Build date 04/20/2010 Purchased new on Feb. 07 Delivered Feb. 12, 2011

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

I just received this letter on my 2013 Enclave  :banghead:

Album: EX-F150's truck
21 images
1 comments

Album: EX-F150's mod pictures
19 images
0 comments

#7 mfennema

mfennema

Enthusiast

• 457 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

I was seeing antifreeze on my driveway from my 09 Acadia before this letter ever came so I took it to the dealer to have it fixed and they are the ones that told me that it was being covered by GM.  That's the only time I've ever had that happen haha.

Mods:
Line-x bed and wheel wells, Extang Revolution tonneau cover, Bushwacker OE style bedrail caps, 3M rubber coated hitch, Underrail bed lights, removed lower valance, Sirius hardwire install, Peripheral PXAMG for Ipod and Sirius connection, PURDUE plates (camo vanity, and IN license), Front Window Tint, 2" RC Leveling Kit, GMC Grille Emblem painted to match, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Kicker 8" Solo Baric L5 square sub and Kicker 300.1 Amp in custom box within console, Custom Toolboxes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users