2001 chevy silverado-gas mileage tune

jaslo

Taken directly from an email conversation between Justin and I

"With a gas engine, there won't be a need for a separate economy and towing tune; your foot determines those results and the tow/haul mode provides the shift patterns needed for towing.

Justin"

Any tune will help your MPG's. I saw a 3 mpg increase on the highway in my 2001 Chevy, and about a 2 MPG increase in my SS, im assuming I will see the same 2-3 mpgs when i get the tune for my HD

I get 14.5 mpg around town on 9" of lift and 35's. I have to keep it out of overdrive though in order to get that fuel mileage. I think it could be a lot worse without a tune. And I run 87 on a 93 tune. Not sure why it makes a difference, but it is like a 2 mpg difference (worse) if I run 93

• 2 weeks later...

Tune made zero difference on either of my trucks to fuel economy. In fact I have never owned anything I have tuned that actually increased in mileage after the fact. My mileage is the same, regardless.

You guys with LM7's, LQ4's and like should log data with your "93" tune and 87 octane gas. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see any knock retard.

Tune made zero difference on either of my trucks to fuel economy. In fact I have never owned anything I have tuned that actually increased in mileage after the fact. My mileage is the same, regardless.

You guys with LM7's, LQ4's and like should log data with your "93" tune and 87 octane gas. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see any knock retard.

I do get a couple misfires here and there, and a "system too lean" code when it starts to get 90+ degrees outside, but not sure if thats from the improper fuel for the tune, or if its because I never got my ECU reflashed when I did my motor swap from an older (99 into a 02) truck

I do get a couple misfires here and there, and a "system too lean" code when it starts to get 90+ degrees outside, but not sure if thats from the improper fuel for the tune, or if its because I never got my ECU reflashed when I did my motor swap from an older (99 into a 02) truck

Yeah I would look elsewhere than the fuel for either of those. It's just these engines have such a low static compression ratio ( 9.4:1 respectively) that honestly I don't see any reason for it. Misfires and lean codes won't be from detonation. Could be a myriad of things wrong for that..... knock sensors, ve table in the tune, maf sensor etc. The 99 engine has a smaller cam in it than the 02 did and is rated 15 hp less so who knows.

I felt like I lost power, but everyone kept telling me it was the same. Now I know! Guess I have to upgrade to an LQ9 or LQ4 haha

I know they have different heads, between the two motors, but I looked both of the up and they were just numbered differently because they were the same but made by different suppliers. Not sure if this is part of the problem, or if it is solely the cam

I felt like I lost power, but everyone kept telling me it was the same. Now I know! Guess I have to upgrade to an LQ9 or LQ4 haha

I know they have different heads, between the two motors, but I looked both of the up and they were just numbered differently because they were the same but made by different suppliers. Not sure if this is part of the problem, or if it is solely the cam

Just the cam really. The injectors I believe are smaller on a 99 too if you reused them.... which could be your fueling issues. Should be either 706 or 862's for heads on either. 6 liters are the way to roll. I own 7 of them total including the 2 in my trucks, lol. Grabbed the last one running fine for $100 with about 130K miles on it ( 2001 LQ4). Cheap and easy.

For economy there is the whole lean cruise thing too.... You have fiddle with the PCM's OS to get it to work as it is not run in north america anywhere....... just overseas. In a pickup truck it's going to be probably a waste of time from what I have seen people on the EFILive board get from it.

I dont remember if I reused the ones off the 02 motor or the 99. I keep saying I wont drop any more cash in this truck, and everytime I say it I go ahead and spend more. That is until I get my Dmax, hopefully... haha

• 1 month later...

Archived