Carpet in wheel wells?

I've heard that you should NOT use a pressure washer on them or the carpet will start to come loose. What the hell? Another wonderful feature that belongs on cars and SUVs, not pick-up trucks.

Unless it specifically says that in the manual, GM can expect to be replacing these on many trucks. Maybe after a few thousand they'll replace them with the plastic ones.

These new trucks are a downright let down, the factory rocker guard finish looks terrible IMO... I'd never want that on my truck ever, makes it looks like an old bomb someone is trying to make last for another year

I didn't even notice the rocker paint until I detailed the truck. Doesn't bother me at all. I think its a great idea.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I added the Chevy rear wheel wells carpeting to my new truck because the roads are very bad in Connecticut especially in the winter. When I first saw the material that was used, I was wondering how long these wheel well liners would hold up. I was debating to go with this product or have my sprayed in bed liner company spray the wheel wells instead. I might have made the wrong decision after reviewing the news as to how Connecticut treats the roads in the winter. After seeing this, I am not sure if there is any way to protect the underneath of your vehicle. Does anyone know how long these carpet wheel wells actually last? These carpet wheel wells will be taken a beating here in Connecticut. Maybe we will have to go back to undercoating. How are other states treating their roads? Every time I wash my truck their is a lot of salt stains in the driveway even with little use of the truck. Where is the GM testing for these conditions? The amount of money these trucks go for should have better quality products in this area.

Check out the videos:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/23874231/mechanics-blame-winter-road-treatment-for-damage-to-cars

Update:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/24849790/lawmakers-to-discuss-potentially-corrosive-road-chemicals

Our Toyota Sienna has them too. Several manufacturers have been using them over the past couple of years. I personally am not worried about them not lasting as long as i either own either vehicle, or the life of the vehicle. The secret is try to keep the underside of your truck clean to prevent rust/or deterioration of the liners.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to give a quick update. My 2007 Silverado LTZ came with plastic liners. I pulled them out since I knew that my new truck is a 2014 Work Truck would not have any liners.

I was able to make the plastic liners fit in my 2014 with just a little trimming. So just an option for those that do not like the carpet the 2007-2013 plastic ones will work in the 2014.

• Like 1

What's the best way to get dried mud out of this liners

My wife's beetle has the carpet also and it's a carpet liner like the trucks. In Germany most of the cars have the same stuff in the wheel liners and have been using them for years. I have been cleaning her car with a pressure washer or strong hose. It work good and no problems yet. I use the general pressure tip.

I just wanted to give a quick update. My 2007 Silverado LTZ came with plastic liners. I pulled them out since I knew that my new truck is a 2014 Work Truck would not have any liners.

I was able to make the plastic liners fit in my 2014 with just a little trimming. So just an option for those that do not like the carpet the 2007-2013 plastic ones will work in the 2014.

Now that is a help. the 7-13 full liners covered more frame too. I have them on my 09 and really like how they clean up. You can even detail them if one is into such. This is the solution for anyone not liking the limited cover and carpet like material of the 14s.

Thing is, everyone who owns a ford and dodge love it, way more then half of them trucks sold have a console shifter and it's there because the customers want it... My GMC doesn't give me ooodles more storage space then a Ford does, it's about the same... I'd LOVE to have one in my GMC

Only people that seem to hate it are the GM crowd because they have never had it, everyone else loves it... Atleast offer it in the high country and denali, those customers are the same customers buying limited, plaitnum's, longhorns who are looking for this sort of thing

Well, just my thought on this console shifter thing being that I own 2 GM trucks. 1 with a console shifter and 1 without. In a performance type truck, the console shifter has it place and that is why GMC put one in the GMC Syclone. In the Syclone the shifter just looks right. In the 2014 not so much even if your truck has the bucket seats with console as mine has. The area that the console covers is on the large size side and to add a shifter there and make it look right would be a lot of work. Most likely it would have to be one of those Ed Big Daddy Roth Shifters just to look right in these trucks. A friend of our has a Ford truck with the console shifter and that is the 1 thing that she hates about it.

I really like the carpet looking wheel wells and so far it has been really easy to clean them with just the hose.

A friend of mine has the "carpeted" wheel wells on his Chrysler 300 sedan and his wifes Toyota Highlander. He told that he coats the wheel well liners with TIRE-FOAM and it serves two purposes. 1. It makes the dirt, sand, salt wash off very easily at the car wash. and 2. It makes the liners look nice and black. He's been spraying them with tire foam for over 3 years and says it works great.

Been wondering where to post this, seems appropriate here.

I've noticed that if you take a relatively stiff brush and knock the dry grit off of the liners before you hit them with any water, a very large portion sweeps right off rather easily. Now, if you do get them wet, seems to me like the small, sandy particles really like to stick a lot harder and have to be removed with significantly more elbow grease.

Which I don't like as my left elbow is fresh out of grease, and my right is running low.

• Like 1

Did not read all the thread so it may have been posted. a GM regional rep told me they did it so mud, etc would not stick and drop off easier. I know a lot of cars are doing this now also.

Having raced motocross for 20 years, in heavy mud races we would put on fenders with foam we glued on, as it stoped the mud from building up and adding all the extra weight. So it has some logic I can confirm to some aspect.

That noted I hope it is tough as it does seem like it could come off. Time will tell.

• 3 months later...

The GMT900 accessory rear liners fit the K2XX with minor trimming, and the frame is covered! A couple of members took the liners from their old trucks and tried them on their new trucks, and they fit.

I have them on my '13, and they are a wonderful accessory that cleans easily, and keeps the fenderwells from being destroyed by rocks, sand and gravel.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to disagree aswell .The gmc's look completely different than the previous body style take a better look. As for the tires I have never had an issue with them. Cheap interior are we talking about the previous body style ? Ill let u sit in mine verses last years model and see if u come to another conclusion. Bumpers are actually functional and go with the theme of the truck. Dodge and ford can't touch this truck right now trust me I've looked at both several times. Ford used to have the nicer interior but not any more. Dodge on the other hand I mean need I say any more?

It's not dodge anymore it's Ram and it's a nice truck. But I came from a gmt 900.some things I liked in my Chevy and other things I love in my Ram. The Ram is more sophisticated and powerful. It has a beautiful ride and a nice interior. Power train and suspension are amazing. Some interior things I could leave out. I wish GM would just condense resources and make one truck.