ABS light and Brake light showing up at once

Hi all,

My 2001 Suburban 1500 (2wd) had both the ABS light and the Brake light come on last week. It happened when my son was driving it, and he claimed he was just "driving along, and both of the lights came on".

I tried searching this forum, but couldn't find anything similar. However, I did find someone with the same issue a few years ago out on the Edmunds forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1c66d7

My frugal side really wants to believe that it could be something as simple as a ground wire, mainly due to the fact that my unemployment benefits are running out in two weeks. Has anyone else encountered this before? Back around 2004/5, I replaced an ABS sensor on this same vehicle for about $1400, and I'm hoping that's not the issue again. For the record, the Suburban has right at 179,000 miles on it.

Any input is most appreciated!

--David

You need to get it scanned with a scanner capable of reading codes other than just engine codes. Can be several things. Get it scanned and report back with the #

Ok.......just got back from Precision Tune. The codes they pulled are (with their explanation in parentheses)

CO265 (Electric Brake Control Module)

CO267 (Pump Motor Circuit open)

They wanted $80 for a full diagnostic, but it takes 90 minutes, and I didn't have the time. How should I proceed at this point?

My truck has done this a couple times, but ONLY while towing. I'm thinking its because of my bigger tires and it not stopping as quick with a trailer (trailer without brakes, or with brakes off). I get the ABS light and ebrake light on, and only stay on until I turn the truck off, and then start it again, and then it disappears for the rest of the day, for the most part. Does that mean my ABS module could be bad too, or could it be from what I stated? Pretty sure the ABS module is original to the truck (339k miles on odometer now)

My truck has done this a couple times, but ONLY while towing. I'm thinking its because of my bigger tires and it not stopping as quick with a trailer (trailer without brakes, or with brakes off). I get the ABS light and ebrake light on, and only stay on until I turn the truck off, and then start it again, and then it disappears for the rest of the day, for the most part. Does that mean my ABS module could be bad too, or could it be from what I stated? Pretty sure the ABS module is original to the truck (339k miles on odometer now)

please refer to post #2

First check and clean all grounds and check connectors. But it is time to get it repaired, almost sure of it with those codes

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

txab,

Huge thanks for this link -- I didn't know a company like this existed, but they are now bookmarked for future reference.

I have a couple of other questions. I'm not the most mechanically savvy guy, but when you say "clean all grounds and check connectors", how do I go about finding out where those grounds/connectors are?

Also, I need to take the Suburban on a driving trip to FL this coming Wednesday, and won't be back for another 9 days. Is there any harm in putting the repair off? Is it just that the ABS feature of the brakes will not work? Or is there something more to this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-David

Usually there are a few ground connectors right at the ABS unit. Check those. It's a really long shot but......

No problem driving. ABS just won't work.

Btw, should you need to send it off, you only need to remove the EBCM part of the unit. Module Masters website does a pretty good job of explaining what is necessary

Sounds good......I'll take a look at those connectors today.

Would it make sense to pull the ABS fuse before my trip, just so I don't run into any issues?

no ,its disabled when the system trips a code

Archived