2014 Sierra/Silverado Bulb Sizes

Wow thanks very much for that large inclusive list!

I wish there was a list correlated in yours, as to which are the easiest and least expensive to swap out to LED, Halogen, HID (others technologies?). If anyone has already covered this elsewhere other than the aforementioned individual forums please let me know.

But before I start, is there a rule as to which lights are upgradeable to LED, Halogen, HID (any other technologies) without breaking any DOT or other laws?

Wow thanks very much for that large inclusive list!

I wish there was a list correlated in yours, as to which are the easiest and least expensive to swap out to LED, Halogen, HID (others technologies?). If anyone has already covered this elsewhere other than the aforementioned individual forums please let me know.

But before I start, is there a rule as to which lights are upgradeable to LED, Halogen, HID (any other technologies) without breaking any DOT or other laws?

There are no real blanket laws other than that lights on the front of the vehicle should only be white or amber/yellow, side should only be amber or red, and back of the vehicle should only be red or, if it is an emergency flasher or turn signal then it can be amber.

Those are my general rules for lights. Outside of that cops around here start to give you trouble as long as you do not have an excessive amount of light coming from the light source.

I would check your local laws for specifics about any lights you want to change. You can change pretty much any lights from halogen to LED as long as it still operates as it should, ie it doesn't have a hyper blink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HID's in non-projector housing are illegal...dunno how it's enforced unless it's for not having all required OEM equipment in working order.

All auxiliary lighting (light bar) should be dimmed with high-beams to oncoming traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

So....the Putco 9012's in white are accorded for a month from kbcarstuff.com....errr.. What are the BEST 9012 figment, even 9011 figment that are white and useable?? Need them now so they will match my LED fog lights / DRL lights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For CA members, here's the vehicle code. Some flexibility, but no way a 100 watt LED bar is legal here for highway use.

From my read, none of the HID kits or aftermarket manufactured projectors are approved for CA use. You could make a case for using an OEM (real one) HID projector system off of another type of vehicle.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=24001-25000&file=24400-24411

Edited by spurshot

Does anyone know if a modified 894 bulb (37.5W) would cause any issues if it was used to replace a 921 (18 W) reverse light?

It might blow the fuse. The fuse should protect the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone use these on a 14 Sierra? It says available in popular sizes such as 9006....

https://www.headlights123.com/clearvision_supreme_solux_halogen_headlights.php

Thanks,

Mark

A standard 9006 produces 1000 lumens according to Daniel Stern's chart. The stock bulb in a 2014 Sierra is a 9012 and it produces 1870 lumens (87% increase over a 9006). A 9011 bulb (easily fit to a Sierra) produces 2350 lumens (135% more than a 9006). Why would you go down in light output?

Got to this thread, page 14. There's a complete explanation of how to fit a 9011. No mods to the truck. The bulb gets some clipping and shaving of the tabs and socket. 10 min job tops. A 9011 is 2350 lumens or about 25% more than the stock 9012 bulb. It's not a big change in light, but it's an improvement.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156233-halogen-led-headlight-bulb-upgrades/page-14

Edited by spurshot

• 2 weeks later...