MAF cleaner.

After some trouble shooting, research and downloading the DTC code (P0101/0171/0174) I have determined that my idling problem stems from a polluted MAF sensor. I also run a K&N filter. After watching a video on cleaning the technician reccommended useing only MAF cleaner. It (MAF cleaner) appeared to ressemble electrical contact cleaner. Do I assume correctly/incorrectly? Please advise. I have contact cleaner but not MAF cleaner and the truck is my only means of transportation and I'd rather not drive. Thanks in advance.

Having a K&N the Maf could have the filter oil on it. I will admit I had problems from over oiling my K&N before. It might not be your problem, but it is normal maintenance to clean the MAF and a great place to start when having MAF codes. Both banks being lean with a MAF performance issue could be from a dirty MAF, If not a malfunctioning MAF

DO NOT AND I REPETE DO NOT use contact cleaner to clean the MAF, use only sensor safe maf cleaner. Using contact cleaner WILL destroy your other sensors in your motor some instant and some over time.

Thanks for the re-affimation. Arranged a ride tomorrow to AutoZone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the root cause of the problem is the oiled filter.

If the purpose of replacing the factory filter with an aftermarket filter is for "better performance", and yet the use and deployment of the aftermarket filter leads to the engine throwing codes and having to hitch a ride to the auto parts store, then is the performance really "better" than stock?

I run the high capacity stock air filter, and never once had a single engine code set. A "better performing" air filter is one that allows the truck to run trouble free, without worry about not oiling the filter enough and dusting the engine, or oiling the filter too much and fouling the MAF, or oiling the filter every other month so as to keep it oiled, but not over oil it. That's a lot of worry and work. Then on top of that, deciding what to clean the MAF with, and worry about the long term effect of the substance on other sensors. Yikes.

Interestingly enough, the GM Performance Parts aftermarket filter makes a point of advertising that it is not oiled. That speaks volumes in and of itself.

The GM factory High Capacity stock air filter has a huge amount of surface area. It will flow all the air a naturally aspirated engine can suck in. At the end of the day, it might be the best performing, when considering the inconveniences of the oiled aftermarket alternatives.

DO NOT AND I REPETE DO NOT use contact cleaner to clean the MAF, use only sensor safe maf cleaner. Using contact cleaner WILL destroy your other sensors in your motor some instant and some over time.

if the contact cleaner is dryed off of the MAF sensor ,,,how will it destry other sensors ?

A maf is just a wheatstone bridge of resistors.... not rocket science. As long as you don't break, coat or melt the resistor you won't hurt it. Yeesh

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

If your oiling your cold air intake filter every month, you are doing something VERY wrong. When properly installed and maintained as per the manufacturer's instructions 99 times out of 100 your not going to run into any problems. But there is always that 1 person out of 100 that will...

Archived