2014+ owners having issues with their truck?

They were able to duplicate it several times when I dropped it off, but not when they put it on lift.

I would think it needs to be under a load on the street to duplicate the clunk, and not be free spinning on a lift.

Also, I had experienced severe clunking when I first got my 2014 and complained about it the same as most of you, but the dealer also said they could not duplicate it. I did notice however after having a couple of transmission related recall reprogramming done, the truck has not had the violent clunk at low rpm cruising speeds when you give it a little gas, which is where I felt it before. Something in the reprogramming seems to have resolved most of that issue. I would suggest you request them to do that if they haven't already. I can say previous to the reprogramming mine would sometimes clunk/shake so abruptly that the bed of the truck appeared to jump off the frame. I have not noticed it happening since then.

My most recent issue with the truck was a tight vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel and seats at idle. At times it was enough to make you think there was a vibrating massager in the seat, and it was enough to annoy me and my passengers alike. I figured the dealer would try to blame it on my installation of an aftermarket Dynomax catback exhaust system, but to my surprise there was actually a TSB issued for this problem. It's a very strange resolution though. Bulletin # PIP5137C which states "Reposition Engine and Transmission". So, somehow these new trucks seem to have a problem with the entire engine and transmission getting out of alignment with each other and have to be repositioned. This is a bit unnerving to me as I've never had a vehicle do that before. I am happy to say however the "fix" by the dealer seems to have resolved it. I won't however be at all surprised if it reoccurs somewhere down the road. Thank goodness for my 6 year 100K extended warranty...

Edited by JToups386

Yes i have the all terrain package. Just to report some more issues, all four shocks are blown out and the two rear shocks are poring oil out of them and leaving puddles of oil every where i go,that’s what you get when you put Rancho shocks in anything. yes the truck came with them, what was GM thinking????????????????????? Oh i know find the cheapest shock on the planet and sell it to our customers…..
My drivers seat is now clunking around underneath me, just another WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would understand if I had taken the truck off road that some of these issues would be happening but i have never even been hard on this truck…. GM could not get me a set of wheels that the chrome wasn’t falling off so they made me go away with making two truck payments for me. How do you like that??? Thats quality control…. So they tell me that my truck was built in USA/Detroit to be exact, but i come to find out that my truck was built in Mexico and corporate told me that they do not build GMC trucks in Mexico, but it turns out that they do………………… I wondered why my truck did not say proudly built in USA in the door Jamb……. BECAUSE IT WASNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So there are more problems, passenger side seat belt rattles against B pillar when window is open, just another WTF, dash cluster has reset itself 2 times now and i keep loosing my best gas mileage. I have a terrible drive shaft vibration on medium to hard acceleration, truck is still stumbling in drive at traffic lights. Just going to ask if anyone has noticed there truck going sideways when driving down the road and hitting a even bump and there truck feels like its going to spin out???????????????????? Another WTF!!!!!!! They said that they put triple door seals on the truck but my drivers side door seal starts to leak around 50 MPH and up WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/2014-sierra-parking-gear-reamains-in-neutral/#ixzz3S90bgC3d

Just so we all get this straight I have been a loyal GMC customer since 1988 and my first truck was a 1989 GMC 3500 crew cab dually 4 wheel drive long bed. So don’t think I am a hater…… I am so disappointed with GM and this new truck, my 1989 ran and drove better that my 2014 and that is the gods honest truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM WAKE UP AND GET RID OF THE PEOPLE THAT DESIGNED THIS NEW TRUCK ITS TERRIBLE. YOU WILL BE BACK IN BANKRUPTCY COURT AGAIN OR OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/2014-sierra-parking-gear-reamains-in-neutral/#ixzz3S93RyvHv

That’s not the only problem you will have with your new serria. I purchased a new 2014 serria slt all terrain and my transmission clunks and up shifts and down shifts horriable. I also got the 22 inch sey wheels which the chrome is falling off and I have ordered a new set through the dealer and they opened the box and the chrome was falling off of them, so the dealer ordered another pair and guess what same problem……… So now I have to go to corporate to deal with this problem. Its always the same with GM purchase from the lowest bidder for parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is a list of other problems air condition blows hot randomly for no reason for about 5 seconds, the truck has a terrible stumble at idol at traffic lights, the gas mileage is ok when I am not towing anything, the best I have gotten is 24.8 mpg highway, then try to haul two or three quads and at 60 miles an hour or more my fuel mileage goes down to 6mpg tell me that isn’t fxxxxd up…. They need to do something with the active fuel management programming because the transmission is always trying to find the right gear which in turn causes all sorts of clunking and clattering. One day I was driving it and was decelerating and I just barley touched the gas pedal and it sounded like I blew the transfer case right out of the truck, fortunately it was ok but a few more times of that happening something is going to break. The truck went in for a recall a week after I picked it up for a supposed transfer case shifting into neutral for no reason. The navigation needs to be updated it cant even find the bridge near my house and is always trying to re route me. The suspension does not have enough travel it hits the bottom out stops constantly over a railroad track near my house and my 2012 serria denali never did that. I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY 2012 SERRIA DENALI………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. IT WAS A FAR BETTER TRUCK HANDS DOWN

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/2014-sierra-parking-gear-reamains-in-neutral/#ixzz3S93dfNps

I know these are out of order, i pasted them from my other forum. Here is what i am dealing with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know these are out of order, i pasted them from my other forum. Here is what i am dealing with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so we all get this straight I have been a loyal GMC customer since 1988 and my first truck was a 1989 GMC 3500 crew cab dually 4 wheel drive long bed. So don’t think I am a hater…… I am so disappointed with GM and this new truck, my 1989 ran and drove better that my 2014 and that is the gods honest truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM WAKE UP AND GET RID OF THE PEOPLE THAT DESIGNED THIS NEW TRUCK ITS TERRIBLE. YOU WILL BE BACK IN BANKRUPTCY COURT AGAIN OR OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/2014-sierra-parking-gear-reamains-in-neutral/#ixzz3S93RyvHv

That’s not the only problem you will have with your new serria. I purchased a new 2014 serria slt all terrain and my transmission clunks and up shifts and down shifts horriable. I also got the 22 inch sey wheels which the chrome is falling off and I have ordered a new set through the dealer and they opened the box and the chrome was falling off of them, so the dealer ordered another pair and guess what same problem……… So now I have to go to corporate to deal with this problem. Its always the same with GM purchase from the lowest bidder for parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is a list of other problems air condition blows hot randomly for no reason for about 5 seconds, the truck has a terrible stumble at idol at traffic lights, the gas mileage is ok when I am not towing anything, the best I have gotten is 24.8 mpg highway, then try to haul two or three quads and at 60 miles an hour or more my fuel mileage goes down to 6mpg tell me that isn’t fxxxxd up…. They need to do something with the active fuel management programming because the transmission is always trying to find the right gear which in turn causes all sorts of clunking and clattering. One day I was driving it and was decelerating and I just barley touched the gas pedal and it sounded like I blew the transfer case right out of the truck, fortunately it was ok but a few more times of that happening something is going to break. The truck went in for a recall a week after I picked it up for a supposed transfer case shifting into neutral for no reason. The navigation needs to be updated it cant even find the bridge near my house and is always trying to re route me. The suspension does not have enough travel it hits the bottom out stops constantly over a railroad track near my house and my 2012 serria denali never did that. I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY 2012 SERRIA DENALI………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. IT WAS A FAR BETTER TRUCK HANDS DOWN

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/2014-sierra-parking-gear-reamains-in-neutral/#ixzz3S93dfNps

Yes i have the all terrain package. Just to report some more issues, all four shocks are blown out and the two rear shocks are poring oil out of them and leaving puddles of oil every where i go,that’s what you get when you put Rancho shocks in anything. yes the truck came with them, what was GM thinking????????????????????? Oh i know find the cheapest shock on the planet and sell it to our customers…..

My drivers seat is now clunking around underneath me, just another WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would understand if I had taken the truck off road that some of these issues would be happening but i have never even been hard on this truck…. GM could not get me a set of wheels that the chrome wasn’t falling off so they made me go away with making two truck payments for me. How do you like that??? Thats quality control…. So they tell me that my truck was built in USA/Detroit to be exact, but i come to find out that my truck was built in Mexico and corporate told me that they do not build GMC trucks in Mexico, but it turns out that they do………………… I wondered why my truck did not say proudly built in USA in the door Jamb……. BECAUSE IT WASNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So there are more problems, passenger side seat belt rattles against B pillar when window is open, just another WTF, dash cluster has reset itself 2 times now and i keep loosing my best gas mileage. I have a terrible drive shaft vibration on medium to hard acceleration, truck is still stumbling in drive at traffic lights. Just going to ask if anyone has noticed there truck going sideways when driving down the road and hitting a even bump and there truck feels like its going to spin out???????????????????? Another WTF!!!!!!! They said that they put triple door seals on the truck but my drivers side door seal starts to leak around 50 MPH and up WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/2014-sierra-parking-gear-reamains-in-neutral/#ixzz3S90bgC3d

If you are really having all of these issues above, why have you not lemoned this truck? Also but a little effort in your paragraph structure, they are not all that easy to read. Most of the issues you posted above can be easily addressed at the dealer, blown shocks on a new truck are a manufacturer defect. Should be replaced. Clunking drivers seat? Can be fixed. Seat belt rattles when window is open.... uuugh, thats all you man. The vibration issue has been reported numerous times on this forum, keep going back to them, after three times you should be able to lemon it. Btw, it says where the truck was built on the vin decal on the truck, from what I remember the crew cabs were all built in Mexico, while the single and double cabs are US built.

• Like 1

@ BMFKGMC: I have to agree about the comments on your posting structure. No-one needs to see 50 exclamation or question marks to understand you are frustrated. Keep in mind these forums are monitored and read by GM Customer Service Reps, and it'll be a little hard for them to take you seriously when you write like an angry teenager. Just take that as some constructive criticism...

I do completely understand your anger and frustration and I'll share some of my results with you in hopes you can use it to get the dealership to fix your issues.

1. The clunking driver's seat is a known issue. There is a TSB on it. Mine did it too. It stems from a poorly designed seat bracket and unfortunately GM's "fix" for it is to put some shims under the bracket, then re-tighten. I've had to have this repaired twice, and it is certainly annoying, but next time I'll likely fix it myself.

2. Rancho shocks are made by Tenneco Automotive, same manufacturer that makes Monroe shocks, the highest selling shocks and struts in the country. How do I know this? They're a client of mine and I have access to a lot of automotive aftermarket sales data through my profession. There is nothing wrong with the Rancho brand. GM, nor any other large automaker is going to use something like Bilstein or Eibach on high production vehicles as it would not be cost effective. If you don't like the Ranchos, take them off and sell them to someone who wants to upgrade from the base model shocks, and then you can get what you want. You certainly should've known the All Terrain came with Ranchos as it's part of their advertising package on that truck.

3. Your other drivetrain vibration issues are well documented on this forum, and at every dealership. As suggested by others, you need to keep pressing them hard on this, and refuse to take "no" for an answer. Mine had horrible vibrations and felt like it wobbled when I drove soon after purchasing it. I initially thought it might be driveshaft or u-joint related, but it turned out to be a defective Goodyear tire. They replaced the tire and it's been fine since. The dealer told me they've had to replace a lot of these Goodyear tires for the same reason. That's clearly a quality control issue with Goodyear, and has convinced me to never buy another Goodyear tire.

4, The seatbelt in the wind issue, well, sorry, I had to laugh at that one. Maybe you've never ridden with the windows down in any other vehicle before...

5. You are absolutely correct on the build origin of the truck and I'm surprised someone at GM would've told you differently. The crew cabs are all built in Mexico, and I agree they have some horrible quality control issues down there. I've experienced this with my truck as well as numerous other products I've purchased in recent years that are manufactured in Mexico. This is definitely a problem for GM and I will never buy another vehicle that is known to be built there. You have legitimate concerns there.

6. Your claim of going sideways after hitting a bump could simply be related to the fact you say you have 4 leaking shocks. If they are leaking they are certainly not able to perform as designed. Hydraulics don't work without hydraulic fluid. The same principal would apply to a shock absorber. I do find it odd that you could have failures on all 4 shocks, but maybe they were all from the same build series and there may have been a bad run of them not just affecting you. Clearly a bad set of seals.

I'm surprised you allowed GM to negotiate the wheel deal with you by letting them cancel two payments. I've never heard of such a thing, especially since the financing goes through private banking institutions and not directly through GM. Either way, you probably should've insisted on getting another set of wheels off a vehicle at the dealer, or make them order a new set of something different than what yours came with. I personally think the 20" non-chromed wheels that came on my All Terrain are the best looking GM truck wheels ever made, and they are holding up flawlessly on my truck thus far (15 months).

Best wishes in your pursuit to get things resolved. Clearly you have some legitimate concerns and will likely have to fight a little bit to make it happen. However, keep in mind, diplomacy will prevail over the "WTF" mentality, so go in there with a game plan and be tactful but stern.

Just my .02 for what it's worth...

• Like 1

@ BMFKGMC: Keep in mind these forums are monitored and read by GM Customer Service Reps, and it'll be a little hard for them to take you seriously when you write like an angry teenager. Just take that as some constructive criticism...

I'm sorry but I have disagree here. These forums are looked at once In a while from gm's damage control reps .what is funny they pick and choose the problem they want to address , never ever responding to something their bosses told them not to address. Sorry , I don't buy that bs. I'm not a brand loyal whore like some are.

Also what is a forum rep have any power to do anyway ? Zero , nothing :) just apologize for the bs and act like they care.

Weather it's on the benz forums, or the ford forums , these forum reps are simply here to do damage control. Nothing more. I ve had so many issues with my truck , never once was I contacted by these caring people.

Some of you are just too blind because of your alliance with the gm. I'm just lucky I leased my truck. :) gm can have this jalopy back in 18 months and sell it to another sucker as professional grade

An "All Terrain Package"? That's a laugh. It seems that your truck is falling apart even on a smooth paved road. Try taking it rock crawling and see what happens. It will probably just stall and sit there. "Like a rock."

Edited by pm26

Has anyone went through lemon law proceedings with GM? If my truck is not fixed completely when I get it back this time I am going to initiate the process.

Any advice anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Check the vibration thread. Plenty have.

• 4 weeks later...

So three weeks ago I take my truck in to get service and have the radiator checked out because I was seeing steam from the front passenger side. Turns out that the seam on the radiator was cracked. Ok, they replace it. No problem. I get the truck back and everything is fine. Day two comes and I am driving to work and all of the sudden the dash lights up and I start smelling transmission fluid. So I try and get the truck to the side of the highway and stop. There is transmission fluid all over the road and running out from under the hood. So I call road side assistance and they tow it to the nearest dealer (Not the one I bought it from, and not the one that did the work on the radiator). They look at it and said that the clip for the transmission cooler line is gone. Great. I thinking that this is going to get bad. So that dealer fills the transmission back up and replaces the clip. They go and test drive it and said that there is something wrong with the transmission. Its making noise. This all happened on a Saturday and my normal dealers service department is not open Saturdays. So Monday comes and they tow it over to my normal dealer and they say that there is nothing wrong. I am really puzzled at this point. So my normal dealer has the truck and a service guy drives it home that night and bam it does it again. Tranny fluid all over the road.

So the next day they call and tell me that it did it again and that they found that the mold on the new radiator was bad and they are replacing the radiator again. That's all fine and dandy, but I now have a $50,000 truck that has transmission problems already with only 35,000 miles on it. I get the truck back and they said everything checks out. This has been over a week. I have a business trip that I am going on that's 350 miles from home. I take the truck and now it gets really bad gas mileage and groans when it is cold. It shifts really bad, speeds up when you hit the breaks, and does this funky upshift, downshift thing when you let off the gas peddle.

Now its back in the shop again after I leave to go to lunch on Monday and the truck goes into gear really hard and the Service Stabili track and Check Engine light comes on. I drop it off and they call today and said they can't find anything. They said they are going to update the computer and try it again tonight.

I am lost and don't know what to do. Have any of you guys had to deal with issues like this so far. I love the truck and have had no real problems other than the little annoying things like the seats moving, and the recall stuff happen.

Edited by cjkiefer

• 4 months later...

I have a blue 2014 GMC Sierra and the paint is flaking terribly ,I have flakes the size of dimes starting to show up and yes I do drive on gravel so they could have started from rock chips. But they are trucks not cars and they might be driven on gravel and that's why I bought the truck. I've owned a 2007 gmc and two 1992 gmc and never experienced this problem. It has 12000 kms on it and 98% of the driving has been on pavement. It is my first new truck I've ever owned and it gets babied, if I drove it as much and as fast on gravel as my previous trucks there won't be any paint left on it by 25000kms.

I had headlight issues about being not very bright ,I took it to my dealer and they fixed that problem really well with new brighter headlights I'm very happy with them now. It's some kind of unadvertised upgrade they do.

In October 21, 2014 I purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT new. Since then we have had four instances where the software has needed fixing.

1. In February the four-wheel drive system had a software malfunction which locked it into 4x4 mode and made it un-drivable requiring a software update. Service was rendered to the computer.

2. In July we noticed that the GPS was not correct and kept recalculating and giving us wrong directions adding hours onto a couple trips we took. It was found that again the software was corrupt and needed updating. Service was rendered to the computer again.

3. This past Saturday while using the remote start function the truck began to smoke quite badly but only when the remote start was used, not when the key was used. We were told the software would need to be updated. Since they wouldn’t be able to do this till Monday we were told it was ok to drive it till then. Service was rendered to the computer again.

4. And on Sunday while in town the truck locked my son inside it on it’s own and we had to call OnStar from someone else's phone to unlock the vehicle. Service is being rendered to the computer again and we are without our truck.

Pursuing Lemon Law options at this time.

I'll be honest with you, if you can get them to fix the LEDs then go for it!! The LEDs are in fact there as you may have seen in my pics. Their missing a resistor ! I just got a call from the third dealership that I sent the truck to and they won't fix it.

Do you work ? 3 dealers to fix the knob lights. You must have nothing to do.