HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

So I installed the kit and only drivers side came on. I checked connections now neither side works? I called retro fit source and I guess the Canbus is the wrong part and I need a Capacitor link

Got the capacitor today installed everything and working perfect so far... huge improvement now to get some hella LED optilux fogs in place of stockers http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-Lighting-Accessories/Optilux-4-inch-LED-Fog-Lamp-Kit.aspx?t_c=14&t_s=448&t_pt=4242&t_pn=hlah71040801&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxZieBRDegZuj9rzLt_ABEiQASqRd-pKa3zvuJLH1Z_QZttTse-qmPBovl6U9Jv2EjrzfmWYaAkx_8P8HAQ

What do you know about the output of the Hella fogs? I couldn't find a lumen rating. 9 watts would lead me to believe they are in the 800-1000 lumen range.

Edited by spurshot

Ok so I got my DDM lights today and went and tried to install them and got nothing! I tried every way in creation to get these things to work and I didn't get so much as a flicker. I have the 35watt kit with the relay harness and the capacitor. I even tried to hook these up coming straight off the factory lights. I checked all the fuses and they are fine, I put my stock headlights back in and they are working just fine. I've had HIDs in all my trucks and never had this problem. I have no clue what to do. Any advice other then return them and try a better kit like morimoto?

Edited by skennel23

Ok so I got my DDM lights today and went and tried to install them and got nothing! I tried every way in creation to get these things to work and I didn't get so much as a flicker. I have the 35watt kit with the relay harness and the capacitor. I even tried to hook these up coming straight off the factory lights. I checked all the fuses and they are fine, I put my stock headlights back in and they are working just fine. I've had HIDs in all my trucks and never had this problem. I have no clue what to do. Any advice other then return them and try a better kit like morimoto?

Plugged in backwards?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Double check ur connection to the battery, then make sure ur ground is not grounded on a painted surface. From ur description, it seems that u r not getting power to the harness.

trouble shooting HID kit from DDM.

Reverse Polarity

If you install your HID kit and they do not turn on you may have reverse polarity. What this means is the power and ground wires are your vehicles stock harness are reversed. What you will have to do is plug the harness connector into the ballast backwards. You will be plugging in the connector from your car into the kit backwards. This will not harm the vehicle or the kit. Note: Reverse Polarity is an issue with the cars wiring not the HID kit. Some cars come from the factory wired in an orientation that is reversed when compared to the HID kit. When using stock halogen bulbs, polarity has no effect, therefore, some manufactures will have the power and ground wires opposite of the HID kit. Some manufactures will have reverse polarity more then others. A lot of GM models have reverse polarity.

Flickering

If both sides are flickering it can be caused by a few things. More than likely because the car can’t supply enough power to the ballasts on startup. You can check this by connecting the adapter cables on the bulbs to the battery with the bulb and ballast connected. If the kit fires up without any problems you will probably need a wiring harness. If your car has Daytime Running Lights (DRL) if could be caused by the car quickly turning the lights on and off to give the effect that the halogen bulbs are running at half power. If the flickering is caused by the DRL you can try a wiring harness or have the DRL disabled (NOTE: disabling the DRL may not be legal in all areas, check with local laws before doing so). The flickering can also be caused by the car’s self-check system to see if there is a working halogen bulb connected. This can typically be corrected with the BOW3.

One Side Doesn't Turn On

This could be caused by a bad bulb, ballast or wiring. The easiest way to check this is by swapping the bulb and ballast one at a time to the side that works to check that each component is functioning as it should.

Intermittent firing
If sometimes one side does not turn on or it takes multiple tries for the HIDs to turn on, you may have a power issue. We would recommend trying a wiring harness. This will allow you to wire the kit directly to the cars battery. Sometimes if you bump your fuse by 5amps that can help as well. If the problem stays with one particular side, we would recommend swapping the bulbs or ballast from left to right and see if the problem follows. If this is the case, you may have a bad bulb or ballast. If you have the HID Harness installed and are still getting intermittent firing, double check your power and ground cables. Make sure the terminal is touching the "threaded" part of the bolt and not just the head of the bolt.

2 more issues for trouble shooting HID from DDM.

Neither light turns on: This is almost always due to reversed polarity. This can be corrected by reversing (flipping) the connector on the input side of the ballast. Another possible explanation is a blown fuse. Or, if a harness is being used, the relay or in-line fuse has likely failed.

One side doesn’t turn on reliably or at all: This is likely caused by a defective bulb, ballast or an issue with the stock wiring (available power). To identify the responsible component, please swap bulbs or ballasts from one side of the vehicle to the other; if the problem follows one component then that is the part responsible for the failure. If all of the components prove to be functional on one side of the vehicle then you likely have a powering problem on the side that is failing; this will likely be corrected by installing an accessory HID harness.