HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Got the DDM tuning, 55 watt, 5K installed. Need to play with the bulbs/aiming a bit, but overall reasonably pleased. A HUGE improvement over stock...but that, of course, isn't saying much. I'll admit I'm not as impressed with the brightness as I was expecting. Extremely glad I didn't go 35W. FYI for anyone who doesn't think this is a quality kit...you really should get out more. Build quality is more than reasonable for the cost. Frankly, I'm not interested in paying 100% more for 10% more quality. But that's me, to each his own. Received mid august, got a 40A relay for those tracking such things.

Here's one for you. I decided to get the DDM "Error Eliminators" as I didn't want to splice/solder a cap inline and the BOW3 has nice, factory connectors. I never could get DDM to admit anything more than "Your truck doesn't need the BOW3's, but they won't hurt" and "Yes, there is a cap in the BOW3's". Neither statements really told me what I wanted to know, but it's worth a try. I wired everything up, hid most stuff under the radiator support cap, LOTS of room in there. Very nice. Put key in ignition, turned on truck, turned on lights and.........!!!!!!

Nothing. Huh. That's interesting. Well maybe more than nothing, I THINK I saw one of the lights blink once. Maybe. Either way, lights no workie. Grab the Fluke, check everything, I'm good. Ok, try again. Not even a blink. Can't hear relay.

Ok, sounds crazy but let's start truck. Start truck, cranks for a while but does start. Go around front to begin checking things (headlights on manual at this point), truck dies.

TRUCK. DIES.

WTF??? Start it again. Fires right up. 3 seconds later...truck dies. Try again, lights blink & truck starts, 3 seconds later dies. No errors, codes, etc.

Weird. Remove BOW3's figuring that's the only "unknown" component in this. Lights fire right up, truck fires right up, >2,000 miles later and many nights, everything works perfectly. No BOW3's, no caps.

No, the BOW3's didn't blow up. I can't explain this series of events.

Wow!! Glad it didn't cause any harm. When I put mine in, I guess I'll start without the BOW3's at first.

Sent from your spare bedroom

Check your connections at the air box and your maf sensor I bet you took the air box out and forgot to tighten something up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea, and I will double check, but don't see how. BOW's were I stalled under top radiator support, last thing to go back on. Air box was already back in its spot. All I did to remove was take off rad cover, unplug, plug ballasts back in, put cover back on. Never touched air box.

lol...nice

I'm really having a hard time understanding the math involved. $40,000 truck + $40 unsupported offshore product = use to be $40,000 truck, that doesn't run? Hmmm, I might rip the $40 product out, ball it up and throw it in a fire. Just me.

I'm really having a hard time understanding the math involved. $40,000 truck + $40 unsupported offshore product = use to be $40,000 truck, that doesn't run? Hmmm, I might rip the $40 product out, ball it up and throw it in a fire. Just me.

Well, it was a $50k truck. But that aside, if I ripped out every investment I've ever made the first time there was a minor bump in the road, I wouldn't be driving a $50k (domestically assembled btw) pickup. I'd be driving a $10k foreign designed and assembled Kia.

To each his own, but I ripped out the $15 worth of parts that didn't want to play nice w/ my truck. Truck and lights now work fine, and I posted my findings here for others to learn from. As for the unsupported bit, I was told that it wasn't needed for my vehicle from their support team. I went against the recommendation and installed anyways. Seems if I had listened to their advice,

I'd have been fine in the first place. But I do seem to learn well from my mistakes.

+ 1... All I really see in that post is you're talking about how great the DDM HID kit.. and how we are crazy for paying so much more for other kits. Then the next paragraph you indicated your truck doesn't even run now? LOL.. doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. maybe I'm not reading it right.

Either way.. who cares... take out that junk and get the expense Moto kit with real support. I really wouldn't skimp on headlights.. they are pretty important.

+ 1... All I really see in that post is you're talking about how great the DDM HID kit.. and how we are crazy for paying so much more for other kits. Then the next paragraph you indicated your truck doesn't even run now? LOL.. doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. maybe I'm not reading it right.

Either way.. who cares... take out that junk and get the expense Moto kit with real support. I really wouldn't skimp on headlights.. they are pretty important.

If that's all you saw, I'd ask that you read it again carefully. My truck didn't run for the ~10 minutes it took me to diagnose the problem was the BOW3's. I think I pointed out that I've driven the truck for >2,000 miles since which pretty well implies that it runs. I'm not gonna push it that far, the thing is heavy. I didn't mean to imply that you're crazy, we're all probably a little nuts for paying what we did in the first place for the trucks themselves. But if someone is on the fence about paying the $$$ for Morimotos for fear that the DDM kit is crap, well I don't agree with that at all. IMHO, the quality is more than reasonable for the cost. Would I expect better quality for double (or more) price? Well yeah, but I think that's inline with anyone's expectations. I didn't mean to butthurt anyone on their choices. If you have an expensive kit, you like it, and the cost somehow makes you feel better, then rock it and love every minute of it. I'd rather spend my extra cash on something else. A nice steak. A set of exhaust tips. Heck I dunno, a beer or something. Essentially I don't like to overpay.

As for lights being important, sure they are! Which is why I have my original halogens in nice little cases wrapped up in a cloth in my toolbox. Should I ever have a problem, it might take me 10 minutes in the rain on the side of the road in the middle of the night to swap them back in. Now, you can say this is because I'm concerned that my cheap ass HID's might give out on me. And you'd be 100% correct. I was also concerned about my factory halogens giving out on me, which is why I had a spare bulb even before the HID's. It's also why I carry a spare tire and a spare fan belt. Because you just can't trust Goodyear.

Edited by bdbake01

If that's all you saw, I'd ask that you read it again carefully. My truck didn't run for the ~10 minutes it took me to diagnose the problem was the BOW3's.

What is a BOW3? I don't recall seeing this abbreviation previously in this thread.

Hey guys, quick question. Not sure if this has been addressed or not.

If I wanted to install 5000k HID's in my 14 Silverado LTZ, but I also wanted all of the other headlight bulbs to be in the same color range (high beams, and fog lights) what bulbs/brands would you recommend to best match everything up?

Hey guys, quick question. Not sure if this has been addressed or not.

If I wanted to install 5000k HID's in my 14 Silverado LTZ, but I also wanted all of the other headlight bulbs to be in the same color range (high beams, and fog lights) what bulbs/brands would you recommend to best match everything up?

If you go with a 55W kit then 5K for the HIDs should match 5K for the LEDs. If you do 35W HID then I'm not sure on what Ks you need to get to make them all match up.

If I had a silvy,

I would put in a 55W 5K HID from DDMtuning + 5K LED highbeams and 5K fogs

If you go with a 55W kit then 5K for the HIDs should match 5K for the LEDs. If you do 35W HID then I'm not sure on what Ks you need to get to make them all match up.

If I had a silvy,

I would put in a 55W 5K HID from DDMtuning + 5K LED highbeams and 5K fogs

Cool. So does DDMtuning make the 5k led high beams and 5k fogs?

Cool. So does DDMtuning make the 5k led high beams and 5k fogs?

No. They just do HIDs for headlights. I would probably go with VLEDs or another good brand name for the LED headlights and fogs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk