HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

While changing bulbs and redoing my headlight caps to a better seal I decided to increase the housings availability to breathe. I'm one of the guys who's completely stock lights had mild condensation GM said was normal. I noticed TRS sells and recommends Gore-Tex patches so I picked up some goretex and drilled the high beam caps with two large holes and covered them with the patches. No moisture gets in, but the housings breathe better now. I figured the high beam caps would be easily fixed if there is an issue. I also put another set of holes up high on the side of the housing.

post-204-0-15362800-1440798880_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-06368000-1440798882_thumb.jpg

I just went and unplugged the relay from the harness and plugged it back in. Everything works fine now. Weird? bad connection maybe?

Could be. I like these relays for critical items that need to be water resistant:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TEO9GU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VU9D0C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Just installed and tested out my new bulbs: Osram 66240 CBI's. They work great and are PURE white with my 35W morimoto ballasts. Pricey, but I think they were worth it. I did run into a ricer with a PNP HID kit and let's just say my FX-R's bi-xenons on high combined with Halogen high beams won. The light output in f'ing insane with all four linked together.

Im in the middle of the installing the morimoto silverado spec kit on a 2015 silverado and Im towards the end of this project and am confused as ever..

Does one of the OEM plugs not get used comming from the headlights? It all seems very straight forward and then i end up with this plug at the end with no where for it to go. Any help would be much appreciated. THanks.

Im in the middle of the installing the morimoto silverado spec kit on a 2015 silverado and Im towards the end of this project and am confused as ever..

Does one of the OEM plugs not get used comming from the headlights? It all seems very straight forward and then i end up with this plug at the end with no where for it to go. Any help would be much appreciated. THanks.

Correct, only one factory headlight plug is used to trigger the relay. The other you can tuck somewhere in the housing.

By the way, do you have projector and housings or reflector housings? Also, what have you done with the headlight covers? Did you somehow extend them out because when I attempted to put the cover on, there wasn't enough room with the HID bulb and plug for the cover to go back on.

I have the projectors for the low beams which are the ones I'm currently replacing. The directions say to drill a hole in the cover for the wires to pull through. Did you have to do that or are you saying that even after drilling in the covers the bulbs still poked through?

I have the projectors for the low beams which are the ones I'm currently replacing. The directions say to drill a hole in the cover for the wires to pull through. Did you have to do that or are you saying that even after drilling in the covers the bulbs still poked through?

That is correct. At least on my truck, I would have needed to extend out the covers. I scrapped the project until I can figure out what to do with the covers.

Edited by Lbsigman

Well I went on ahead with drilling out one of the covers anb you were absolutly correct. The light plug stuck trait out of the hole and you couldnt seal anything back up. I decided to drop back and punt as well. Im hopeing i can return the kit considering it was for a silverado and it doesnt fit like the instructions say. I really wanted the lights to work. I will be putting the silver stars in i guess like I probably should have anyways. Thank you for the help.

Well I went on ahead with drilling out one of the covers anb you were absolutly correct. The light plug stuck trait out of the hole and you couldnt seal anything back up. I decided to drop back and punt as well. Im hopeing i can return the kit considering it was for a silverado and it doesnt fit like the instructions say. I really wanted the lights to work. I will be putting the silver stars in i guess like I probably should have anyways. Thank you for the help.

Yup it's a total let down. I was super aggravated over it and luckily I only drilled one cover. I ended up keeping the kit but I need to figure out what to do with it. I do have 2 spare covers to play around with so maybe in the future I will try again.

I had a friend run into the same problem with his Chevy Volt projector light. He ended up buying some black abs tubing that was close to the same size as his projector cap and glueing it on as an extender after he drilled out the back. It didn't look bad after he was done with it.

Where did you find spare covers at? I patched mine with a plastic repair kit but It looks a little rigged up. I had rather have back to normal until I figure a better option out.

I ordered 2 new covers from GM Parts Direct. Not cheap for what they are. After shipping, the total was like $56 for the pair. Part Number: 23215569

Having a bit of trouble with a TRS/Morimoto HID install.

Had a 2014 Sierra SLT that the following system was being used in:

9006: Morimoto Elite HID System

-2 x AMP: Morimoto 3Five DSP

-2 x 9006: 3Five 4300K $0.00

-2 x Canbus: 9006 $0.00

System was removed from the 2014 and placed in a 2015 Sierra SLT today. I can't for the life of me get the lights to work. Fuse looks good and after speaking with TRS I hit my ground contacts with sandpaper to remove some paint and ensure a good connection.

Any ideas? Did anything change from 2014 - 2015 that would prevent the system above from working?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1