HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Morimoto FX-R 3.0” LHD Bi-Xenon

Fast Headlights brackets

Morimoto XB-35 ballast

Morimoto XB 4500K D2S bulbs

Morimoto HD relay w/ H11 adapter

Morimoto Capacitor kit

High beam splitter (for Bi-xenon plus OEM highbeam function)

Sirius LED Amber/White 7443 switchback bulbs (white sidemarker, amber signal)

6 ohm 50 watt resistors X4

I started with used LTZ housings and took them apart to clean up some dirt (they came without dust caps and someone had removed enough parts).

Here's what I did:

1) Baked @ 270 deg F for 22 minutes and seperated

2) Dremel w/burr bit to remove all factory permaseal from channels

3) Polished inside and outside of headlight lenses

4) Removed Amber sidemarker lenses

5) Installed Fast Headlight brackets and FX-R projectors-see NOTE below*

6) Killed each screw holding in projector with JB weld so it can never come loose

7) Wired bi-xenon leads to 9005 plug and plugged this into splitter with OEM high beam

8) Wired additional leads in parallel with turn signals**

9) Filled housing channels with 3M window weld butyl and heated to 220 deg F and pressed headlight back together

10) Installed 4500K HIS bulbs, 9011 high beam bulbs, and LED switchbacks

*Note: I did not care for the fact fastheadlights has you thread the upper brackets with 8-32 machine screws into a coarse slot. I chose instead to through drill the factory holes and replace the 8-32 1" long screws with 2" long screws and through bolt them for added security. I did not want to have to get back inside the headlights. Part of the reason I stripped the housings was so that I could have all 4 screws holding the projector rather than just 3.

**Note 2: I tapped into each turn signal lead in parallel with long wires and quick disonnects to allow me to remotely mount the resistors where they can easy be replaced in the future without rewiring or taking anything apart.

th_IMG_0173_zpsettqm5wb.jpg

th_IMG_0174_zpsmro24fdh.jpg

th_IMG_0178_zpsw3u9hu9d.jpg

th_IMG_0177_zpsendjvt0m.jpg

th_IMG_0179_zpswy9bx2sb.jpg

th_IMG_0198_zpsws89wcnm.jpg

th_IMG_0205_zpsgkefvlgc.jpg

th_IMG_0223_zpsjcedkdjh.jpg

IMG_0201_zpshbbbgxha.jpg

th_IMG_0210_zps1yo6ehzk.jpg

th_IMG_0209_zps2cbuj6qh.jpg

This is an awesome setup - pretty much exactly what im looking for - i noticed that you may have already changed out some different bulbs for others - saw on later post... so what have you decided to run for now? how are they working?

The 2016 headlights have HID's standard on base and SLE models with a new C shaped LED DRL. So instead of modding the old lights, sell them on ebay and buy the 2016's. I'm sure they're going to bolt right in as GM wouldn't want to change the mounting points because of a cost issue. The grill shape appears to be the same around the headlights so it should fit. Also available will be the Full LED headlights with an LED bulb off the SLT and Denali models, it's a $6,000 plus option because they make you buy 20's, running boards, blah blah blah, stuff I didn't want. Why I got an SLE model with front bucket seats, center console and leather. Here it is from GM...

"High-intensity Discharge (HID) projector-beam headlamps with GMC signature LED lighting now standard on all models"

Also the 2016 2500/3500 HD's are getting new HID bulbs that go in the 2014-2015 1500 headlamps. Could just buy the bulb and I'm sure it will plug right in. In the past, AC Delco HID's have had the ballast built in to the back of the bulb so no holes to drill in the housing and I'm sure the wiring hasn't changed in the 2016 HD's from the 2014-2015 1500's.

"ATTENTION TO DETAIL

It’s the little things that take the Sierra 2500HD to an unparalleled level of refinement. Sierra 2500HD features design details such as:

• Projector headlamps with new HID bulbs
  • LED signature front lighting now"

I've been reading this thread for the past couple days. I didn't know about the service bulletin for the new replacement bulbs and computer upgrade. Thank you guys for that information. Actually had to print the document out for my dealer to even bother with it. They've never heard of it. Simi Valley GMC and Thousand Oaks GMC didn't know about it. But they did notify me of a 4x4 recall for my transfer case. Which I actually had already found out from Edmunds test drive review online where their test truck got stuck in the snow because it wouldn't go into 4x4. Random side not in case someone from GM reads this.

I've been all for aftermarket, had HID's in the fogs highs and lows on my 2004 GMC Sierra but kept it stock on the new 2014. I have the SLE so my lamps are the DRL, didn't want to mess with it. My only option will be to get the 2016 headlamps and run those if I want my lights to be brighter without the aftermarket hassle. Only thing is the assemblys will probably go for $500-800 a piece. At least that's what gmpartsdirect is showing for the 2015 signature led headlamps. Or could just get the rigid windshield/roof mount light bar and blast 28,242 lumens into oncoming traffic and see what happens (wouldn't really do that). GM should offer us the 2016 headlamps at supplier pricing to makeup for the poor headlight performance. At least they fixed it for 2016.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/40166

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/88621

Best actual pictures I could find of the 2016 headlamps. The parts lookup sites don't have 2016 listed yet so can't see what is behind the lamps and how the wiring is until my local dealer gets one and I can inspect it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2016-gmc-sierra-1500-denali-first-drive/

This is an awesome setup - pretty much exactly what im looking for - i noticed that you may have already changed out some different bulbs for others - saw on later post... so what have you decided to run for now? how are they working?

Thanks for the kind words. For the turn signals I'm currently running Vled 7443 hi-vis amber LED's. Tritons would be ideal, but costly since you need two sets.

My HID bulbs are Osram 66240 CBI's. $170 a pair, but worth it.

Personally, I'd be surprised if 2016 headlights are that great. There is not a single OEM HID projector that can touch the FX-R. People will still do retrofits going forward.

Edited by RobZ71LM7
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words. For the turn signals I'm currently running Vled 7443 hi-vis amber LED's. Tritons would be ideal, but costly since you need two sets.

My HID bulbs are Osram 66240 CBI's. $170 a pair, but worth it.

Personally, I'd be surprised if 2016 headlights are that great. There is not a single OEM HID projector that can touch the FX-R. People will still do retrofits going forward.

I am already waiting to hear on OEM HIDs for the 16s and potential compatibility for 14-15s.

I asked for a quote from what I think is one of the only retrofitting places in all of Alberta, Canada that deals with with TRS/Morimoto/FXR brands.

For a full install retrofit including FXR projectors, 3D printed brackets, open and reseal the housings after cutting (apparently is a lot of work), 55w philips bulbs (5000k) and canbus compatible ballasts comes to $1300 CAD which is roughly 900-1000 USD. I believe and FXR and HID kit come together to around 400-500 CAD maybe more so there is a lot of labour money in this quote.

I guess this is the tradeoff for not doing anything yourself but I have no experience or desire to do a retrofit myself. Call it lazy but I know I won't do it properly and will do more harm than good.

Thing is, I am waiting to hear if OEM swap is possible and how much is costs from a dealer, since the FXR retrofit shop is 9 hours away vs a dealer that is 5 min away.

I PM'D DangerDick who seems to be the retrofit/HID master on these forums (he did a full comparison on HID GM spec kit from TRS, FXR retro fit and stock lighting) as I think he is only 4-5 hours from where I live, if he is up for it or a shop around where he lives.

You're correct in the fact that if you use your factory housings and your labor is free it's less than $400 USD in parts. But I understand the desire for a simple, reliable plug and play-it was a lot of work and I don't consider anyone not doing it to be lazy. I did it because I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't do it to save money. I'd be surprised if we could do a full OEM '16 HID conversion with new parts for less than $1600 USD. The current '14-15 Silverado LTZ projector housings are ~$600 each and then you have to factor in the costs of OEM ballasts and bulbs. FYI: you don't need special ballasts for any of this. You simply need a relay harness to provide power for the ballasts. The special thing is you need a capacitor wired in parallel with the OEM signal that triggers the relay.

Note: I'm speaking for the Silverado.

You're correct in the fact that if you use your factory housings and your labor is free it's less than $400 USD in parts. But I understand the desire for a simple, reliable plug and play-it was a lot of work and I don't consider anyone not doing it to be lazy. I did it because I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't do it to save money. I'd be surprised if we could do a full OEM '16 HID conversion with new parts for less than $1600 USD. The current '14-15 Silverado LTZ projector housings are ~$600 each and then you have to factor in the costs of OEM ballasts and bulbs. FYI: you don't need special ballasts for any of this. You simply need a relay harness to provide power for the ballasts. The special thing is you need a capacitor wired in parallel with the OEM signal that triggers the relay.

Note: I'm speaking for the Silverado.

I want to pursue FXR projectors route, but if there is a simpler AND cheaper option that is a win all around.

The silverado redesign looks like it completely changed the front headlight design, which it does make sense silverado owners may be up shit creek with any swaps.

Knowing GM and we all seem to know them well, the Sierra's new headlight design looks like it has similar dimensions, and thy only things they changed on it were the bulbs themselves to HID (with ballasts etc) and MAYBE the projector design (GM usually goes a cheaper route so if I was a betting man I would say they are probably identical in design to the current halogen projectors). But from my perspective I am interested in what the backsides look like with the HIDs in place on the 16s, there isn't a lot of wiggle room to extend the housings (or bulk up in any way for that matter) back at least on the air filter side.

I am leaning towards the dealer simply putting the HID equipment in place and wiring it the same way as the new trucks, thus you have a cheap OEM backed design, but again when new trucks show up on dealer lots I'll take a peak.

The LED headlights on the SLT and Denali trims are more than likely to be more complicated compared to the HID systems on the lower trims, as I am sure it requires special wiring of some sort (MAYBE, not I am not too keen on vehicle electrical systems, maybe it's as simple as plug and play like these LED bulbs people are trialing around these forums). But the led headlights themselves look like they are similar to F150s LED headlights, which are actually not projector style but look like a cluster of LED diodes that are focused forward. So the trucks with LED style might have different internal measurements.

When the F150s came out with the hid headlights on the previous generation, I was hoping to upgrade the lights on a 2011. It was a direct swap, but for all of the lights, bulbs, ballasts, harnesses it was over $3000. Even the parts guy who quoted me couldn't believe it. I know trs has them for much cheaper now but that's what they cost at first and from the dealer. Wouldn't surprise me if the 16 headlights and required accessories are up in the same range. I want to find out before I take on a retrofit as well. But as mentioned, the fxr would likely outperform whatever the 16s use.

When the F150s came out with the hid headlights on the previous generation, I was hoping to upgrade the lights on a 2011. It was a direct swap, but for all of the lights, bulbs, ballasts, harnesses it was over $3000. Even the parts guy who quoted me couldn't believe it. I know trs has them for much cheaper now but that's what they cost at first and from the dealer. Wouldn't surprise me if the 16 headlights and required accessories are up in the same range. I want to find out before I take on a retrofit as well. But as mentioned, the fxr would likely outperform whatever the 16s use.

I think a big difference there is you needed whole new housings to change to the HID style. Prior to 2013 trucks with the HIDs, they were all a reflector style.

I am placing a bet that GM took a cheap route and simply redesigned the internal layout and nothing more of the 16' Sierras headlights, kept the housing dimensions the same, and the same projector. Thus the possibility for a plug and play on the 14-15 headlights style for either the HIDs or LEDs (for LEDs though probaby a longer shot for reasons I stated above they are putting in the 16s).

I am eager to see one in person to see how they look under the hood.

• Like 1

I think a big difference there is you needed whole new housings to change to the HID style. Prior to 2013 trucks with the HIDs, they were all a reflector style.

I am placing a bet that GM took a cheap route and simply redesigned the internal layout and nothing more of the 16' Sierras headlights, kept the housing dimensions the same, and the same projector. Thus the possibility for a plug and play on the 14-15 headlights style for either the HIDs or LEDs (for LEDs though probaby a longer shot for reasons I stated above they are putting in the 16s).

I'm hoping that us '14-'15 1500 owners will be to buy the 2016 2500 HID or LED OEM components from GM and retrofit our existing headlights. That way we can stick with our larger 3" projector size. I think the 2016 1500 has a 2.5"... Somewhere, GM designers got it in their heads that the public likes "small headlights", due to the success of the camaro. In fact, we like high tech & High performance headlights and could give a shit less about size if they look nice and perform well.

Edited by DAP56

good luck buying them from the dealer. Might as well trade your truck in and take a 4-5k hit if the factory HID's are that valuable to you. FWIW one of the headlight assemblies on my 2012 CTS-V was replaced under warranty and the price for one was over $1000.

I don't think there's any point paying $500-1000 maybe more who knows for just a 'gm hid' or even led kit only to plug n play in the stock 14-15 sh***y projectors even if it did fit. Better of going with a trs kit for $150 or whatever

I like the look of the 16 lights and the fact they are hid/led. if they do fit the 14-15s id love to have them, but they will be priced crazy and probably not worth it unfortunately.

Fxr retrofit will probably be the way I go, but will wait to see the 16 lights first too. trs always has a thanksgiving sale so hopefully the 16s are out before then

I don't think there's any point paying $500-1000 maybe more who knows for just a 'gm hid' or even led kit only to plug n play in the stock 14-15 sh***y projectors even if it did fit. Better of going with a trs kit for $150 or whatever

I like the look of the 16 lights and the fact they are hid/led. if they do fit the 14-15s id love to have them, but they will be priced crazy and probably not worth it unfortunately.

Fxr retrofit will probably be the way I go, but will wait to see the 16 lights first too. trs always has a thanksgiving sale so hopefully the 16s are out before then

I would bet they kept the projector style the same on the HID fitted trucks, to save money of course. But guys that have seen the SLTs and LTZ in person on this forum mentioned the LED have an oval shape to them.

I am maybe willing to try the TRS Sierra spec kit, it seems basically plug and play and with some minor drilling. I would be most concerned with the wiring side of things, not too experienced there but if they have a wiring diagram it might be ok.